+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Suing Samsung Over Galaxy Tab Covers

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Suing Samsung Over Galaxy Tab Covers

As you may already know, the court room battles between Apple and Samsung seem to never end. The latest chapter in the saga continues with Apple claiming that Samsung is now copying not only their smartphones and tablets but also their cases. Apple seems to believe that the case infringes at least a minimum of 10 patents.

Although Apple hasn’t detailed the complaint against Samsung, it is possible that it began with the fact that Samsung called their smart cover look alike as being “Samsung certified.” The Galaxy Tab cover was sold in Samsung’s stores in South Korea and create by a company called Anymode. The company was owned by Youngbo Engineering, which was headed by the nephew of Samsung chairperson Kun-Hee Lee. Samsung ended up taking the product off the shelves, saying the certification was “an oversight.”

This currently is an issue that the Cupertino giant is pursuing alongside with the many patent infringement cases regarding the tablets themselves (the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab). The recent Samsung win, which removed temporary Australian sales injunctions for the company has caused them to try and push the company’s patent infringement lawsuit against Apple’s iPhone and iPad 2 to March. The reason March was chosen was because the company is expected to have a similar trial in a German court regarding the same issue. Depending on how things go, having two judgments in the same month could either give Samsung a two-combo attack against Apple or serve as a distraction if the company loses. As of right now, Apple is fighting back against this tactic by asking for a delay and the judge seems to be in Apple’s favor.

Of course, a delay means that many more patent infringement claims are likely to arise between the two. So what do you think of the smart cover rip off? Are you getting tired of seeing the two tech giants battle it out with one another? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow! That's just blatant copying of the Apple Smart Cover. Seriously it may be slightly different as it appears to have a back cover but the tri-fold cover which becomes a stand is practically identical.

Do you know if it uses magnets?? Either to stay attached to the tab or auto unlock it when lifted??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Wow! That's just blatant copying of the Apple Smart Cover. Seriously it may be slightly different as it appears to have a back cover but the tri-fold cover which becomes a stand is practically identical.

Do you know if it uses magnets?? Either to stay attached to the tab or auto unlock it when lifted??
    Wow I cant even find the words... Apple is like a scared wounded animal. Watch out if you have success and compete against apple its off with your head. I have no brand loyalty at all so try to call me a fanboy if you want but this is ridiculous. By the way I and my wife own an Iphone4, Ipad2, Galaxy Nexus, and a Galaxy Tab 10.1. These 2 companies remind me of my children. Stop the litigation and use that money to make your products better. Im talking to you Apple and Samsung. Apple dont be patent trolls and Samsung even though Apple improves on tech that is out and doesnt invent it( they act like its the opposite) learn your lesson If anything you make is remotely similar to anything made by Apple they will sue. Silly little children in charge of these big companies sigh...

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Everyone copies Apple. I want Apple not to make anything new for 5 years and see what Samsuck can do on their own.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just had a thought Apple if you are worried about little Samsungs tiny market share in the tablet space stop giving them free press. I didnt check the Galaxy Tab out until all of these court battles started. I thought if they want to sue over broad patents the Tab must be good so I checked it out and now own one.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Wow. Everyone copies Apple. I want Apple not to make anything new for 5 years and see what Samsuck can do on their own.
    As someone who owns Apple and Android products no Samsung does not suck. Im starting to think Apple fanboys are worse than Android fanboys. Actually I change my mind all of you are .........
    Last edited by khaf; 12-21-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks

Goodbye Samsung?
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaf View Post
    I just had a thought Apple if you are worried about little Samsungs tiny market share in the tablet space stop giving them free press. I didnt check the Galaxy Tab out until all of these court battles started. I thought if they want to sue over broad patents the Tab must be good so I checked it out and now own one.

As someone who owns Apple and Android products no Samsung does not suck. Im starting to think Apple fanboys are worse than Android fanboys. Actually I change my mind all of you are .........
    Are you blind? That's a BLATANT RIP. You're obviously a Fandroid.

What's Jailbreak? HereToTrollolol's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khaf View Post

Well would you be mad if you made something and then someone made something exactly like it, then sold it for themselves?

Banned
    Thanks

WTF Apple? Dont Samsung make half the iPad? Talking about biting the hand that feeds.
    I think soon Samsung will have enough and just stop making anything for Apple then where will they be? Apple will quickly stop suing them I bet. Or they will sue them for not taking more lawsuits.

Apple really need to GROW UP! Its the real world and people copy each other. Have a look at China. They are all clones and they copy everything else the world does (Badly).

EVERYONE should STOP buying ANYTHING Apple then they wont have the money to sue everyone.
    This just proves Apple are stupid if they sue everyone for every little thing. They have more money than sense.
    If they were smart they would put more effort into making a better tablet and phone but no, they just sue everyone then steal cydia apps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nakedfaerie View Post
    wtf apple? Dont samsung make half the ipad? Talking about biting the hand that feeds.
    I think soon samsung will have enough and just stop making anything for apple then where will they be? Apple will quickly stop suing them i bet. Or they will sue them for not taking more lawsuits.

Apple really need to grow up! Its the real world and people copy each other. Have a look at china. They are all clones and they copy everything else the world does (badly).

Everyone should stop buying anything apple then they wont have the money to sue everyone.
    This just proves apple are stupid if they sue everyone for every little thing. They have more money than sense.
    If they were smart they would put more effort into making a better tablet and phone but no, they just sue everyone then steal cydia apps.
    stop complaining!
    Last edited by s0ulp1xel; 12-21-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    WTF Apple? Dont Samsung make half the iPad? Talking about biting the hand that feeds.
    I think soon Samsung will have enough and just stop making anything for Apple then where will they be? Apple will quickly stop suing them I bet. Or they will sue them for not taking more lawsuits.

Apple really need to GROW UP! Its the real world and people copy each other. Have a look at China. They are all clones and they copy everything else the world does (Badly).

EVERYONE should STOP buying ANYTHING Apple then they wont have the money to sue everyone.
    This just proves Apple are stupid if they sue everyone for every little thing. They have more money than sense.
    I agree with the Cydia part....how would apple feel if coder from Cydia can sue them for stealing their hard work? Not just apps but majority of the tweaks are stolen from Cydia as well...LOL Apple isn't original as people think!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What?
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

I think I speak for most people in the group when I say this. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? Speak proper English and stop trying to use punctuation to hide the fact that you clearly flunked English. Apparently you flunked comprehension as well, clearly the case is a knock off of the smart cover. Unfortunately your head is so far up Samsung's *** you can't see that (nor speak proper English).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rock7437 View Post
    I think I speak for most people in the group when I say this. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? Speak proper English and stop trying to use punctuation to hide the fact that you clearly flunked English. Apparently you flunked comprehension as well, clearly the case is a knock off of the smart cover. Unfortunately your head is so far up Samsung's *** you can't see that (nor speak proper English).
    If you are going to try teaching someone about English grammar, perhaps you should proof read your post:

Punctuation should be plural and perhaps you should rephrase 'nor speak proper English' to 'nor speak English properly'?

Also, it looks like you might have failed comprehension because the writer of this thread did not say Samsung's tablet cover was a knock off but merely asking what your views on the case is.

With regards to the thread, my thoughts on this is that until we know the exact details on what Apple is suing Samsung about, we can't say Samsung had infringed Apple's tablet cover patent.
    Last edited by Taniban; 12-21-2011 at 09:25 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

What the fakers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is some kind of game Samsung and Apple play with each other.... right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    This is some kind of game Samsung and Apple play with each other.... right?
    Yes it is. It is called "tit for tat." Pretty much what this boils down to is Apple and Samsung had a non verbal agreement. One of the two companies decided to break that non verbal agreement and thus the other began a legal war, which equates to "tit for tat." This is actually a text book scenario between the two companies. Why MMI feels the need to keep reporting these issues are beyond me.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is just protecting their products. It's ridiculous that Samsung would even consider making "covers" that look almost identical to Apple's...it's actually quite pathetic that they can't think of something on their own to do the same thing. Instead they take an idea that's already popular and start using it for their products. If Apple just sat on the side and aloud them to do it then more companies would start doing the same.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Copy much Samsung???

Thanks

I find it a bit humorous that Apple is going after Samsung for this. Apple sure seemed to "borrow" some ideas from InCase . It seems that HP has a similar case too. It looks like Apple is just looking for an excuse. I have many Apple and Samsung products... All I can do is sit back and giggle at all of these ridiculous lawsuits. Granted, the Samsung case does look most like the Smart Cover in aesthetics and color choice, but if Apple goes after one and not the other (as they have been doing lately in their campaign against Samsung), it just makes it way too obvious that this is more hubris than most anything else.
    Last edited by wcbardwell; 12-21-2011 at 10:37 AM.