Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon's Kindle Fire May Cut iPad's Share of the Tablet Market Below 60%

Thanks

Default Amazon's Kindle Fire May Cut iPad's Share of the Tablet Market Below 60%

Although Apple has gained ground over Android-based tablets in recent quarters, the market research firm IDC Research believes that the iPad’s share of the market will slide in the December quarter due to gains from the low end tablets from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

It was estimated that the iPad held on to a 61.5% worldwide market share in the third quarter and that number is expected to dip below the 60% mark in the upcoming quarter. According to IDC, HP jumped up to second place in the tablet market in the third quarter, capturing a quick 5% share. Its presence was short-lived though since the PC maker cleared out inventory after deciding to cancel the device just a few months after its release. Samsung came in third with a 5.6% share of the tablet market, the Barnes & Noble’s Nook Color tablet took the fourth spot with a 4.5%, and Asus came in fifth with a 4% share.

The Android operating system noticed a dip in total market share in the third quarter, down to 32.4% from 33.2% in the second quarter, but IDC sees the Kindle Fire sales driving the platform past the 40% mark in the December quarter. According to IDC’s Research Director of Mobile Connected Devices, Tom Mainelli; “Amazon and Barnes & Noble are shaking up the media tablet market, and their success helps prove that there is an appetite for media tablets beyond Apple’s iPad.”

Analysts have begun revising their iPad estimates on the assumption that Apple’s tablet growth will be impacted by the Kindle Fire. It was recently revealed by Amazon that the company had sold millions of Kindle Fires, which has been the online retailer’s best-selling product for weeks now. Mainelli does believe however, that Apple is still set to have its best quarter ever during the period. He also believes that Apple will also make gains with its iPad in the enterprise and education markets in 2012 as well.

Apple’s head start on the tablet-specific apps, future iPad versions, and an expanding retail presence will probably help the company maintain its “global leadership” but it is likely that Android tablets will gain on its competitor in the near future. According to IDC analyst Jennifer Song "an improving Android OS experience and lower competitor pricing in an environment with worldwide economic concerns should help Android to increase its market share.”

So how exactly do you feel about this? Were you one of the many who bought a Kindle Fire or Barnes & Noble Nook? Do you see Android gaining an increased market share? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Electronista

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

The Kindle Fire is actually pretty cool. I wouldn't give up my iPad for it though, that's for sure.

There still havn't been any actual numbers to how many kindle's have been sold. Do these people just bring these statistics out of their ***?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

I've already purchased 2 Kindle Fire's for Christmas presents and will likely pick up 1 more before the big day.

When you can buy 3 Kindle Fire's to 1 Apple iPad.... It just seems logical.
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 12-16-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks

Is this why there's a rumored 7" iPad coming in 2012? Either way, competition and choices are good.

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    There still havn't been any actual numbers to how many kindle's have been sold. Do these people just bring these statistics out of their ***?
    Yes they do!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Home Skillet View Post
    Is this why there's a rumored 7" iPad coming in 2012? Either way, competition and choices are good.
    absolutely, it would be arrogant of Apple to ignore the competition and the demand for 7" tablets....despite what Jobs said about 7" and how useless they are. he said the same thing about phones with screens larger than 3.5"--calling them "Hummer Phones" and nobody would want one.

He was wrong on both points.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    absolutely, it would be arrogant of Apple to ignore the competition and the demand for 7" tablets....despite what Jobs said about 7" and how useless they are. he said the same thing about phones with screens larger than 3.5"--calling them "Hummer Phones" and nobody would want one.

He was wrong on both points.
    lol he said large phones and small tablets no one would want? Did he have an issue with the infinite numbers between 3.5 and 9.7 inches???

honestly i think the new asus eee transformer prime is the best android for 2011. I'm selling my iPad for the prime for school next year

Just like the iPhone before Android came out. The iPad had its fun since it was first, but now those tides are changing.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickFerguson View Post
    honestly i think the new asus eee transformer prime is the best android for 2011. I'm selling my iPad for the prime for school next year
    It's not even meant to be in the same league as the kindle fire and the nook tablet. These latter two are meant to be much less expensive alternatives to "standard" tablets. For media consumption they are great, and much more fairly priced than the $600+ tablets of today. $600+, for many people, is full blown laptop territory/pricing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

sold my ipad 2 after i got a kindle fire, and am a very happy camper. only 5 gigs of storage, but i didn't even use that much on my ipad.
    and never have got a ton of apps. anyway for every 1 good app theirs 100 useless ones. this goes for both android market and the app store. for the price you can't beat it.

Yes but still lumping all manufacturers of android tablets into one statistic compared to one manufacturer, Apple, doesn't make any sense. Just because they are tablets and run android doesn't make them all comparable especially when the Kindle Fire was declared not comparable to the iPad by Amazons own CEO. He called it a low cost media centric streaming device, with a small amount of flash storage which helped to allow Amazon to sell it so cheap. He also said that Amazon was a company used to low margins and that the real profit would be generated by selling/renting content to Kindle Fire owners. So just because a tablet runs android shouldn't make them all comparable to make up BS statistics about marketshare, why not let each manufacturer stand on it's own? Simple because a number like 33% combined looks better than the 4-5% of each manufacturer standing alone.

It's an ereader with a browser. Not that exciting. I love the kindle but I'd get a $99 one for the beach.