Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 40% of Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone Users Want Apple's iPad

Thanks

Default 40% of Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone Users Want Apple's iPad

The market research firm Maritz Research recently found that consumer smartphone loyalty does not directly translate to tablet loyalty, at least for Apple’s competitors, as noted by Forbes. The firm conducted an online poll in November, surveying 2,500 people across the U.S. Those who participated were presented with 14 tablets from 11 different manufacturers and asked one which they would choose if they were to purchase a tablet.

Owners of RIM’s BlackBerry smartphones showed the least loyalty to their current platform with 53% of them saying they would buy an iPad, compared to just 8.5% of them indicating preference for RIM’s own PlayBook tablet. Of the remaining respondents, 12% of them said they would choose Amazon’s Kindle Fire, while 11% selected Samsung’s Galaxy Tab. RIM originally counted on BlackBerry users to comprise the PlayBook’s base market, but sales of the device have yet to take off, with 200,000 units shipped during RIM’s August quarter. The company recently revealed that it was taking a $485 million accounting charge due to unsold PlayBook inventory.

As far as Android users go, 41% of them listed the iPad as their top choice for a tablet. Android users did show higher loyalty to their current platform when compared to BlackBerry users though, with 15% of them indicating preference for the Kindle Fire and 19% for the Galaxy Tab, both of which run Google’s Android mobile OS.

Windows Phone and Windows Mobile users were similar, with 40% of them saying they would purchase an iPad, while 16% chose the Kindle Fire, and 12% opted for the Galaxy Tab. A few users did show interest in the HP Slate 500, which was the one Windows-powered tablet mentioned in the Survey.

Apple continues to inspire loyalty for its iOS platform as a whopping 77% of iOS consumers said they would buy the iPad. Of the iOS consumers, 8% of them chose the Kindle Fire and 5% with the Galaxy Tab.

Along with asking for future purchase preferences, the survey also tracked real-world purchases made over the past three months. 50% of the respondents mentioned they had bought an iPad recently compared to 13% of the surveyors admitting that they acquired the Kindle Fire. Meanwhile, Samsung’s Galaxy Tab comprised 9% of the recent purchases. Maritz senior strategic consulting director, Michael Allenson, told Forbes in an interview that the Kindle Fire did make an impressive debut, stating the numbers were unexpected for the tablet that recently launched. “As the [tablet] market continues to mature and include more mainstream consumers, it is likely that there will be room for other [non-Apple] brands to flourish,” he said.

As for right now, iPad competitors appear to stand a better chance in the mid-to low-end segment of the tablet market. People who are willing to pay $500 or more for a tablet indicated a strong preference for the iPad but consumers seeking to spend between $250 and $500 favored the Galaxy Tab over the Kindle Fire. Those seeking to spend $250 or less showed interested in the Kindle Fire. It should be noted that budget tablets may be cheap enough to be considered as impulse buys by some customers. Of the surveyors, 17% of them said they had purchased tablets as a last-minute decision, according to the report.

It seems like Apple will continue to hold the throne for quite some time though. As of right now, there is no clear competitor or at least not one experiencing success even remotely similar to that of Apple’s aside from the Kindle Fire. I personally feel, the Kindle Fire is only doing well because of its price point. Either way, we’ll have to wait and see if any manufacturer makes a tablet worthy of competing with Apple’s dominant tablet, the iPad.

What do you think of the statistics? Do you own a tablet – if so, which one? If not, which tablet are you likely to purchase and why? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Forbes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't own a tablet but if I were to buy one, Transformer Prime would be my choice. Don't think any current tablet can match it

I wonder how many iPhone users want an Android phone. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Don't own a tablet but if I were to buy one, Transformer Prime would be my choice. Don't think any current tablet can match it
    Agreed. It'd go well with my DroidX. Plus, Apple markets the sh!t out of the iPad. How much marketing do you see for Android tablets. People may not even know what the Transformer Prime is based on lack of advertisement.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Xiavia View Post
    Me, I switched from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S II. I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 my wife is still an iPhone 4 user but she got the Acer Iconia Tab 7 and the Amazon Kindle Fire.

My next tablet will be either the Asus Transformer Prime or Samsung's upcoming 11.6" tablet (only slightly bigger than the Tab 10.1)

I'll never buy an iPad because I want to be able to do the same things with my Tablet that I can do with my Phone.

No apples please, Pass me the Tegra 3 !!!

I will never buy a tablet unless it is an actual pc on the go. Like a laptop with a screen only, like the slate

Smile I... don't think there will be a lot
    why would there be?

Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
    I will never buy a tablet unless it is an actual pc on the go. Like a laptop with a screen only, like the slate
    Yep, I would rather buy an actual laptop than a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by loolo78 View Post
    why would there be?
    If you look a few posts above you will see that someone traded in their iPhone and got a Samsung Galaxy S II.

I wanted an iPad, but those Android tablets are lookin sexy.

The Transformer Prime shows a ton of promise, but tablets in general do not fit into my workflow. I have an iPad 2, but it was a gift. I use it, but I spend a considerable amount of time working and as a result my information gathering (internet use) is mostly done on a desktop or laptop. The iPad 2 is my go-to e-reader though, I suppose that is by default though.

Apple has successfully marketed the iPad 2 to a portion of the population Android tablet makers still haven't made much headway in. Normal, non-tech, and non-jailbreak enthusiasts eat up Apple's marketing campaigns. Android marketers still needs to get the dev and tech-enthusiast out of their systems when developing marketing materials.

Default Bud49
    Right, these Apple devices not only work, but are works of art. I'm peacefull with my iPhone, and lastly bought an iPad2 for my wife instead of a laptop. I thought tablet was nothing for me. I'm wrong though, my next buy will be iPad3, which will compliment my iPhone and MacBook.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budhy View Post
    My next buy will be iPad3, which will compliment my iPhone and MacBook.
    My only problem with an iPad is that they are still limited. They are not a full computer. My next buy (if my MacBook pro ever dies) will probably be a 10" macbook air. Ultra portable but still a computer.