+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Celebrity Alec Baldwin Kicked Off of Plane: Using iPhone to Play Words With Friends

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Alec Baldwin was kicked off of a plane for using his iPhone. EDIT : I realize this is about an iPhone and is in the iPad section. A news site
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Celebrity Alec Baldwin Kicked Off of Plane: Using iPad to Play Words With Friends

Alec Baldwin was kicked off of a plane for using his iPhone.

EDIT: I realize this is about an iPhone and is in the iPad section. A news site mis-reported this story as Alec Baldwin was using an iPad when he was really using an iPhone. The story has been fixed accordingly.

Sometimes when you're stuck at a flight gate, Words With Friends can be a fun way to keep the time from ticking so slowly. But again, airplanes have rules and if you don't follow them, you will be expunged from the flight.

What could be more boring than being idled at a gate with nothing to do? I'm not sure; but, to Alec Baldwin, it calls for passing the time by playing Words With Friends on his iPhone. Celebrity Alec Baldwin, 53, was asked to put his iPhone away whilst in the middle of being on an idled airplane. Baldwin loved Words With Friends so much, that he was willing to get off of the plane to play.

Baldwin’s spokesman, Matthew Hiltzik had this to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hiltzik
    The “30 Rock” actor was asked to get off a New York City-bound flight for playing “Words with Friends” while the plane idled at a gate Tuesday. He loves 'Words with Friends' so much that he was willing to leave a plane for it, but he has already boarded another American Airlines flight.
    Baldwin kept his followers on Twitter up to date on the matter with the rather humorous situation and later Tweeted after getting on the next plane that the new flight attendants in this airplane looked smarter than the ones in the airplane that kicked him off for playing Words With Friends. Passengers of the same airplane also kept their followers up to date with their awestruck feelings about how a celebrity just got himself kicked off of their airplane for playing a word game on his iPhone. Twitter was definitely a go-to for this time and day.

What do you think about electronics being banned in an airplane until up high in the air? Share in the comments below!

Sources: People.com
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks

its ridiculous... what harm does it do to have your phone out while waiting for the damn plane to get ready to take off?? even if theres a harm then the airlines really need to make their plane instruments protected against that cuz people will always be on their phones even if they have to sneak it

Thanks

LMAO!!!!
    is there air plane mode on the iPad ????

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

I would too, do the same in this situation. But then again I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't have the money to go onto another flight like Alec here x)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truehybridx View Post
    its ridiculous... what harm does it do to have your phone out while waiting for the damn plane to get ready to take off?? even if theres a harm then the airlines really need to make their plane instruments protected against that cuz people will always be on their phones even if they have to sneak it
    Well these aircraft were built in 60's and are still in service. LOL! That's why they don't want you using your electronics. You're flying in a antique ruckus with pretty fresh paint and a flashy interior. The reason they even modernize some of the planes nowadays is because when something breaks down they can't find the replacement parts like those 1981 CRT monitors they have wedged in the wall that sport that 16 color EGA graphics of some lame map that looked like it was ripped off of where in the world is carmen sandiego.

So to err on the side of safety, no electronics during take off. The last thing we want is the pilot to get distracted from some idiots lame ring tone. Once you're safe in the skies and everything is on auto pilot (and computerized for that part) then it's safe to use all your electrical interference generating equipment. Kind of a oxymoron if you ask me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

*Samuel l Jackson voice* I have had it! With these mutha f*cking phones on this mutha f*cking plane!!!

Thanks
    Listen, people above. The phone itself doesn't make it "hard" to fly. The one and only problem is that the phone might disturb the ATC contact!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Actually, aircraft from the 60s or not, there's little to suggest that you can't use electronics onboard. Particularly idle at the gate!

See: Fliers Still Must Turn Off Devices, but It's Not Clear Why - NYTimes.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used to work on ATC equipment, including radios. I also used to play around on my phone while supervising other guys who were doing so. Not so much as an odd blip appeared on the spectrum-analyzer. Why? Cell phone bands operate from 850MHz - 1900MHz; ATC radios from 115.0MHz - 399.975MHz (minus 180 - 225MHz). On a side note, the radios were built in the 50s and 60s as well.

The only effect phones have with planes is nav and landing instrumentation. As long as they weren't trying to calibrate it at the gate (which should be reserved for maintenance), there should be no reason to not be able to play on your phone while idling at the gate.
    Do I brag about which phone I have in this space?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

My brother-in-law is a pilot for Southwest and he said that the phone wouldn't disturb anything (especially if they were idle). He keeps his phone on during landing and take off and he's sitting in the cockpit...seems like this airline just wanted to get some attention.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    My brother-in-law is a pilot for Southwest and he said that the phone wouldn't disturb anything (especially if they were idle). He keeps his phone on during landing and take off and he's sitting in the cockpit...seems like this airline just wanted to get some attention.
    If you and the above guy is true then why is it like that at all airlines. Every one of them make it a rule. Why would they waste there time on a rule if it shouldn't exist?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    If you and the above guy is true then why is it like that at all airlines. Every one of them make it a rule. Why would they waste there time on a rule if it shouldn't exist?
    It's a precaution, because it could interfere with the equipment on the plane, that's why it's a rule....one phone isn't going to do anything while the plane is just sitting idle. You could potentially have a problem if everyone on the plane kept their phone on and was using it during takeoff/landing.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-07-2011 at 08:21 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The reason is "because it only takes ONE." You will see lots of posts from folks who say "I tested radio equipment and my iPhone never interfered with it" or "My cousin is a pilot and says it's not a problem." That all may be true. But the issue is you never really can anticipate all the electronic combinations that can be created and it only takes one bad combination to potentially create a really bad day for everyone. As a pilot myself, I'll give you a real-life example: I regularly use my iPhone as a backup aviation navigation device when I rent planes. On one particular flight, the radios on the plane worked great on the outbound flight, but were practically useless on the return. They were full of static, the VOR radios (a type of navigation device) were erratic, and even the GPS-driven autopilot couldn't be relied upon. I noted the problem with the plane rental folks, and they found nothing wrong. The next flight, same plane, same problem: worked fine on the way out, was nearly unusable on the way back. Again, they couldn't find the problem. So we focused on what was different on the return. The difference? I was using an extended battery for the iPhone on the return flight each time, and every time the iPhone touched any metal surface (not a surface on the plane, ANY metal surface including my kneeboard), the combination of the extended battery and the iPhone wiped out the radios, including GPS. Specific and rare situation? Absolutely. Impossible to imagine happening on a major airline. Absolutely not. I wouldn't want to see this combination on any airliner when they are between 0 and 10,000 feet in hard IFR (instrument flight rules....eg. they can't see and have to rely on their instruments). Their rule makes sense. Everything off when the door is shut (an easy milestone to use) until you are above 10,000 feet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickFerguson View Post
    *Samuel l Jackson voice* I have had it! With these mutha f*cking phones on this mutha f*cking plane!!!
    ^Well Played

Thanks

i bet ill whoop him in words with friends. anybody want to play? un: bleucrayonz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    Well these aircraft were built in 60's and are still in service. LOL! That's why they don't want you using your electronics. You're flying in a antique ruckus with pretty fresh paint and a flashy interior. The reason they even modernize some of the planes nowadays is because when something breaks down they can't find the replacement parts like those 1981 CRT monitors they have wedged in the wall that sport that 16 color EGA graphics of some lame map that looked like it was ripped off of where in the world is carmen sandiego.

So to err on the side of safety, no electronics during take off. The last thing we want is the pilot to get distracted from some idiots lame ring tone. Once you're safe in the skies and everything is on auto pilot (and computerized for that part) then it's safe to use all your electrical interference generating equipment. Kind of a oxymoron if you ask me.
    First off, American Airlines does not have a single craft in its fleet built in the 60's. The only craft it has that was produced in the 60's is the 737, and I gaurentee you they don't fly that model any longer at American.

With that said, it's only that way on the side of caution, you just never know, although I don't see any problem with this. It's kinda silly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Sorry. People/Companies make stupid rules all the time for no reason. A few examples:

Acworth, GA, All citizens must own a rake. (doesn't say they have to use it)

Idaho, Riding a merry-go-round on Sundays is considered a crime. (Don't ask me why?)

Illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds. (pay attention to the next law)

a citizen is forbidden by law to give another citizen a box of candy that weighs more than 50 pounds. (guess that sweetheart is sol)

Illinois, Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire. (honey wake up the house is on fire, oh chocolate cake I'll leave after i eat this)

Kenilworth: A rooster must step back three hundred feet from any residence if he wishes to crow; Hens that wish to cackle must step two hundred feet back from any residence. (LOL)

Kirkland: Bees are not allowed to fly over the village or through any of Kirkland's streets. (Who enforces these laws?)

This is a small sample. I don't think the electronics in planes is as ridiculous as these laws, but I do think it's harmless to use them on a plane.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    First off, American Airlines does not have a single craft in its fleet built in the 60's. The only craft it has that was produced in the 60's is the 737, and I gaurentee you they don't fly that model any longer at American.

With that said, it's only that way on the side of caution, you just never know, although I don't see any problem with this. It's kinda silly.
    Exactly, They're only flying the 737-800's as far as I know of. The oldest I can think of is the MD82s they fly which were made from 1979-1990s.

The only reason for this that I can think of is that it could be for distractions of passengers in the event of an emergency.

Who knows these days.
    "Carpe iPhone"-"Seize the iPhone"-Steve's Roman Ancestors

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pukashoeful View Post
    The reason is "because it only takes ONE." You will see lots of posts from folks who say "I tested radio equipment and my iPhone never interfered with it" or "My cousin is a pilot and says it's not a problem." That all may be true. But the issue is you never really can anticipate all the electronic combinations that can be created and it only takes one bad combination to potentially create a really bad day for everyone. As a pilot myself, I'll give you a real-life example: I regularly use my iPhone as a backup aviation navigation device when I rent planes. On one particular flight, the radios on the plane worked great on the outbound flight, but were practically useless on the return. They were full of static, the VOR radios (a type of navigation device) were erratic, and even the GPS-driven autopilot couldn't be relied upon. I noted the problem with the plane rental folks, and they found nothing wrong. The next flight, same plane, same problem: worked fine on the way out, was nearly unusable on the way back. Again, they couldn't find the problem. So we focused on what was different on the return. The difference? I was using an extended battery for the iPhone on the return flight each time, and every time the iPhone touched any metal surface (not a surface on the plane, ANY metal surface including my kneeboard), the combination of the extended battery and the iPhone wiped out the radios, including GPS. Specific and rare situation? Absolutely. Impossible to imagine happening on a major airline. Absolutely not. I wouldn't want to see this combination on any airliner when they are between 0 and 10,000 feet in hard IFR (instrument flight rules....eg. they can't see and have to rely on their instruments). Their rule makes sense. Everything off when the door is shut (an easy milestone to use) until you are above 10,000 feet.
    Actually your situation is completely implausible and has nothing to do with "it only takes one". It almost scares me that you're a pilot if you believe that. I work in aerospace engineering and I can posit multiple theories as to what caused your issue and none of them have to do with the phones radio. What rigorous "testing" did they do to confirm this. What iPhone, what extended battery, When you say it "wiped out the GPS" what do you mean? Please note, you don't need to answer my questions since the answers don't really matter as the iPhone was not the issue

I can say with 100% certainty the issue was with the planes wiring, and I hope to god a maintenance tech found the issue before letting anyone else use that plane. The issue is that the planes electrical system is either not properly grounded / has exposed wires. That is why touching your phone to the metal was killing all of the electronics. I would have thought maybe there would be a slight chance of the radio being bad, but the fact that you say it knocked out the GPS too tells you right away this is an electrical issue with the plane and i'm pretty sure I could have replicated the issue with any device regardless of if it had a radio or not.

What is the name of the rental company you use so that I can be sure to recommend nobody go near them if they really don't realize that an electronic touching metal causing electrical failure is an issue with the plane. I'd love to have seen that plane put through standard lightning testing, 10-1 there are gaps in the conductive path and the current would breach the exterior.
    Last edited by qumahlin; 12-07-2011 at 04:43 PM.