+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Gave Samsung Some Design Alternatives

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Recently released public versions of legal briefs from July’s court case which sought a ban of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 revealed that Apple illustrated that the design of the iPad
    Thanks

Default Apple Gave Samsung Some Design Alternatives

Recently released public versions of legal briefs from July’s court case which sought a ban of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 revealed that Apple illustrated that the design of the iPad and iPhone were based on aesthetics. Apple even went as far as giving Samsung a list of tweaks it could make to differentiate their products.

In this same court case, Samsung argued that the patents Apple was using against the Galaxy Tab were based on functionality and therefore were required by all smartphones and tablets as part of a utilitarian design. The company claimed it had no choice when using the design elements in question, but Apple continued to argue that there were other options available and that Samsung purposely violated the standing patents. To prove its point, the Cupertino giant generated a list of possible design alternatives (this is where the laughing can commence):

• A front surface that is not black.
    • A shape that is not rectangular.
    • No rounded corners.
    • A front surface that is not flat.
    • Varying Bezel size.
    • A device that is not thin.
    • A cluttered appearance
    Samsung did attempt to make changes to its device at this time. The company re-branded it the Galaxy Tab 10.1N as a way to get around the permanent ban in Germany. At this point, Apple felt the changes weren’t substantial enough to lift the injunction, at which point Apple asked the German court to ban the remodeled version as well. As of right now, Apple has won two injunctions in both Australia and Germany, although the injunction in Australia has been overturned and is under appeal.

It’s always interesting to see the constant fight between Apple and Samsung, whether it is in the court room or in advertisements. So far it seems that Apple has the upper hand but that may change if the company doesn’t stay on top of its game. Samsung continues to fight back not only in the patent war but with advertising campaigns that bash Apple and its products as well.

On a different note, I do admit, some of the design alternatives recommended by Apple are pretty absurd. The thought of even recommending things such as “A cluttered appearance” or “A device that is not thin” seems like a big joke to me.

Source: The Verge
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 12-03-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung pretty much does just copy the iPad..... The only reason anyone buys any tablets is just in hopes that it will be close to as good as the iPad lol, and samsung knows that.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,926 Times in 754 Posts

Appl£ and $am$ung should hang their heads in shame and stand in the corner and think about how to resolve their issues like adults, not five year old spoilt brats

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There's no reason to change the design, other then a black bezel they have nothing in common, if its not blatantly apparent that the screen size is completely different as well as the width, you need to get your eyes checked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    There's no reason to change the design, other then a black bezel they have nothing in common, if its not blatantly apparent that the screen size is completely different as well as the width, you need to get your eyes checked.
    You stated your opinion and that is fine but you don't have to be so rude about it.

As a reference to the similarity, the lawyer Samsung hired for one of the court cases couldn't tell the difference ten feet away... that must say something about the two tablets... and just to clarify before you possibly go about saying its the lawyers fault, wouldn't Samsung be responsible for hiring the lawyer for such an important case in the first place? (Source)

I still think Apple's suggestions are absurd here though.
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 12-03-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

crapple really need to realise if they released a good product then everyone would want theirs so there would be no worry about the competition but as it is the iPads are inferior to other tablets so instead of crApple making a better tablet they just sue everyone else making theirs the only one on the market. PATHETIC crAPPLE! GROW UP!

crApple are just playing like little bullies. They need to grow up and realise in the real world of adults there is a thing called competition and there always will be and they need to release a better tablet.

I'm thinking of getting one of these Galaxy Tabs 10.1 as if crApple are so scared they are suing them it must be better than the iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    You stated your opinion and that is fine but you don't have to be so rude about it.

As a reference to the similarity, the lawyer Samsung hired for one of the court cases couldn't tell the difference ten feet away... that must say something about the two tablets... and just to clarify before you possibly go about saying its the lawyers fault, wouldn't Samsung be responsible for hiring the lawyer for such an important case in the first place? (Source)

Samsungs lawyer was incompetent and it was their fault they lost that one. If I was Samsung I would get a lawyer that knew what to say and what the Galaxy Tab 10.1 actually looked like.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 12-03-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

The comment was not directed at you specifically, it was meant in general towards the consumer and towards Apple. If they believe that consumers would get the Ipad and Tab mixed up, then they don't have alot of faith in the consumer in being intelligent.

Thanks

In other words, the Galaxy Tablet should look like this:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    crapple really need to realise if they released a good product then everyone would want theirs so there would be no worry about the competition but as it is the iPads are inferior to other tablets so instead of crApple making a better tablet they just sue everyone else making theirs the only one on the market. PATHETIC crAPPLE! GROW UP!

crApple are just playing like little bullies. They need to grow up and realise in the real world of adults there is a thing called competition and there always will be and they need to release a better tablet.

I'm thinking of getting one of these Galaxy Tabs 10.1 as if crApple are so scared they are suing them it must be better than the iPad.

Samsungs lawyer was incompetent and it was their fault they lost that one. If I was Samsung I would get a lawyer that knew what to say and what the Galaxy Tab 10.1 actually looked like.
    if that's your take on this situation, I pity anyone who has to tolerate you in real life. Just because you don't understand how patents, device recognition, brand recognition, let face it.. most things work; doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't.

• if iPads are inferior they wouldn't have such a massive market share.
    • you need to look up IP, - any company that was as slavishly copied like samsung (even down to the covers, leads, docks etc) would take exception to this.
    • " crAPPLE! GROW UP!" - the irony.
    Last edited by sphangman; 12-03-2011 at 06:26 AM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Most people searching for a tablet would look at an iPad. But since the release of the kindle fire and the nook tablet, people have been considering those ALOT as well. In fact, kindle fire is the wifi tablets best seller on best buy.com Kindle fire is the iPads only competition. Galaxy tab? Not even close. You're saying an iPad is a tablet that no one wants? It's the most popular. I'm not being a fanboy as you are,it's just plain simple facts. Maybe if SAMSUNG could create a half decent product of their own, then maybe they wouldn't have to worry about getting sued. I mean seriously, have you seen the galaxy player's UI? It's a blatant knck off of iPod touch and iPhone.
    Last edited by iPod; 12-03-2011 at 06:42 AM.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eman561 View Post
    Samsung pretty much does just copy the iPad..... The only reason anyone buys any tablets is just in hopes that it will be close to as good as the iPad lol, and samsung knows that.
    i hope you aren't serious. People buy a tablet because they want that tablet, not because they hope its as good as an upscaled iphone. I have an ipad and asus transformer, both are excellent and excel in different areas.

I still cant believe this lawsuit is still ongoing, let alone the fact it even got to court in the first place. As has been said hundreds of times over the course of these procedings, how many variations of design can there be? The transfomer and iconia tab look almost identical to the galaxy tab (well identical by apples standards of 'identical'), are they next in line for court cases?

lastly apple appear to have decided that they can patent the colour black now?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung rip of other peoples design to the max.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Wow apple is being a ****

Lol I understand but how else can you design a tablet.
    No rounded corners? So well make sharp corners?
    It can't be black? Samsung products are always black
    It can't be thin? Really then wtf

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    appl£ and $am$ung should hang their heads in shame and stand in the corner and think about how to resolve their issues like adults, not five year old spoilt brats
    a'men brother

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mx.stud For This Useful Post:

dsg (12-03-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eman561 View Post
    I hope to whatever God you believe in that you are NOT saying that Apple invented the tablet form factor and that everyone else is copying Apple and ripping them off. If you are...you don't deserve to cal yourself intell

I buy my tablets because they ARE NOT the iPad. I have my gripes against Apple, and I refuse to buy or use anything from them anymore. Their business practice is tantamount to a a marketing dictatorship. It is one of the reasons I totaled my iPhone with a sledgehammer and bought a Galaxy SII (and waiting for the SIII)

But as per this post...what kind of list did Apple give? Lets translate:

• A front surface that is not black. "Or one that isn't white, or any other monochrome color. Apple owns colors now"
    • A shape that is not rectangular. "No 4 sided tablet devices please"
    • No rounded corners. "So Blackberry can go after you next"
    • A front surface that is not flat. "Why don't you try a sphere shaped device? People like Magic 8 Balls"
    • Varying Bezel size. "Apple also owns mathematical measurements"
    • A device that is not thin. (I am not even going to touch this)
    • A cluttered appearance (F**K you Apple)

Basically...Apple wants a monopoly on slate devices. Apple is under the delusion that it invented the touch screen computing experience, that it invented touch screen in general, and that it should be the only company on the market that should be allowed to make Slate devices that conform to the 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. It's like GE going after Maytag for making Microwaves that act similar to the ones they make. YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND THINGS WARM UP!

Apple is a company of hypocrites, so much so that it is not even funny! I have really grown to hate this company. Apple didn't invent touch screen phones, Nokia had one out before Apple did, and it was fully touch screen too. There was Compaq/HP iPaqs, Palm, and some Proprietary Windows Mobile phones. I know that Microsoft got into the Touch GUI interface in 2002ish with Windows XP Tablet edition, and Vista was touch enabled as well. All of this stuff was before the iPhone and iPad. All of the aforementioned devices were rectangular, they all had bezels, they all had BLACK bezels. They all had flat surfaces. If anything, Apple stole the concept of touch from other companies, tweaked it, and then has the nerve to call other people who tweaked their approach thieves.

Apple didn't invent shapes, they don't own shapes, they don't own colors. What we need is an Apple boycott, to send the message to either foster competition, or lose business. Quite frankly, if there was no competition, then we would still be at iOS 1.0 or 2.0. where we had no video capture ability, no copy and paste, and no multitasking, and terrible performance. Do you think the iPhone would be as powerful as it is today? No. If you own an Apple product, stop using it until Apple backs off and embraces free enterprise and competition.

Apple needs to learn the hard way, and the people who HAVE to teach them are the consumers.

(Fun fact, Compaq and HP had the i moniker before Apple did. Apple stole that.)

Thanks

Apple is starting to remind me of Micro$oft of the 90's in their quest to rule the world with their technology.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i still agree with dsg, i think apple is acting like a bunch of kids, all because they see the fact that although people may like there iphone, a good chunk of people choose to go to android for many reasons, i know that i picked android because i didnt want a really big iphone, i already got one of those, plus usb ports on the device, no add ons, micro sd port, about half the price.....there really is a long list as to why i wanted the samsung, but because it looked like the ipad was not one of the reasons lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Boo-freakin-hop. The only 5 year old cry babies are the people whining and complaining on here. Apple and Samsung are no different than any company in any other sector. Doesn't matter what the product is, of there's money to be made, companies will fight for it. Just look at the nonsense surrounding agriculture. No one is looking at soy bean forums so it doesn't get much attention, but the actions are far worse and impact all of us far more than the Apple-Samsung war currently being waged.

Regarding Apple or crApple making a shoddy product, you opinion is what it is. Just remember that the ONLY reason Samsung, Acer, Asus, and RIM are making tablets is because Apple proved it to be a viable market. Yes, there were other touch device out there, but none of them came close to doing what Apple managed to achieve.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Think about it. Nobody is original anymore. If apple doesn't bring whoever to court so a decision can e made whether it is a copy or unique, then copy designs and truly ruin competition. If I had a fleet of engineers make a 50" wall tablet and it could recognize users that was I front of it, and I spent $2,000,000.00 expenses in materials and payroll. I sell it and it becomes a hot product. Let's say Tandy (remember them?) buys one, and cuts it up and makes a 48" version that looks nearly the same. If I can't go to some court of law and say "whoa wait guys, look at what they did? They made a near duplicate of my product and leech off of my revenues now", what's the point of patenting ?

Then if "bah, patents need to done away with" attitude prevails, why would anyone offer a new idea to a project?
    "I got a great idea, I can make a dream recorder so you can watch your dreams the next day on tv"
    "great, how much to produce it?"
    "about $10,000 for the initial prototype"
    "can we make money on it?"
    "for about a month until someone copies our work, then we lose money exponentially "
    "let's scrap this idea"

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I hope to whatever God you believe in that you are NOT saying that Apple invented the tablet form factor and that everyone else is copying Apple and ripping them off. If you are...you don't deserve to cal yourself intell

I buy my tablets because they ARE NOT the iPad. I have my gripes against Apple, and I refuse to buy or use anything from them anymore. Their business practice is tantamount to a a marketing dictatorship. It is one of the reasons I totaled my iPhone with a sledgehammer and bought a Galaxy SII (and waiting for the SIII)

But as per this post...what kind of list did Apple give? Lets translate:

• A front surface that is not black. "Or one that isn't white, or any other monochrome color. Apple owns colors now"
    • A shape that is not rectangular. "No 4 sided tablet devices please"
    • No rounded corners. "So Blackberry can go after you next"
    • A front surface that is not flat. "Why don't you try a sphere shaped device? People like Magic 8 Balls"
    • Varying Bezel size. "Apple also owns mathematical measurements"
    • A device that is not thin. (I am not even going to touch this)
    • A cluttered appearance (F**K you Apple)

Basically...Apple wants a monopoly on slate devices. Apple is under the delusion that it invented the touch screen computing experience, that it invented touch screen in general, and that it should be the only company on the market that should be allowed to make Slate devices that conform to the 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. It's like GE going after Maytag for making Microwaves that act similar to the ones they make. YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND THINGS WARM UP!

Apple is a company of hypocrites, so much so that it is not even funny! I have really grown to hate this company. Apple didn't invent touch screen phones, Nokia had one out before Apple did, and it was fully touch screen too. There was Compaq/HP iPaqs, Palm, and some Proprietary Windows Mobile phones. I know that Microsoft got into the Touch GUI interface in 2002ish with Windows XP Tablet edition, and Vista was touch enabled as well. All of this stuff was before the iPhone and iPad. All of the aforementioned devices were rectangular, they all had bezels, they all had BLACK bezels. They all had flat surfaces. If anything, Apple stole the concept of touch from other companies, tweaked it, and then has the nerve to call other people who tweaked their approach thieves.

Apple didn't invent shapes, they don't own shapes, they don't own colors. What we need is an Apple boycott, to send the message to either foster competition, or lose business. Quite frankly, if there was no competition, then we would still be at iOS 1.0 or 2.0. where we had no video capture ability, no copy and paste, and no multitasking, and terrible performance. Do you think the iPhone would be as powerful as it is today? No. If you own an Apple product, stop using it until Apple backs off and embraces free enterprise and competition.

Apple needs to learn the hard way, and the people who HAVE to teach them are the consumers.

(Fun fact, Compaq and HP had the i moniker before Apple did. Apple stole that.)
    While you are correct in saying that Nokia and hp and palm and and Microsoft all had touch devices before apple, they were not very good at all, and not he fully developed. Apple took the touchscreen idea, and made I better. Then android phones started using capacitive touchscreen right after apple. Other companies started the touchscreen idea and almost failed. Apple took the dying idea and perfected it. I will say that when I read the article, I thought apples suggestions were a joke. But you have to remember that apple is only suing Samsung. They aren't suing Any other company. So Samsung must have done something different from the other right? *cough* Samsung's touchwiz android UI *cough*

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way