+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Gave Samsung Some Design Alternatives

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Yawwwwn..... Wut?
    Thanks

Yawwwwn..... Wut?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    You can patent/copyright a shape if you created the shape. The unique combination of thickness, shape, and color are called design. You can patent/copyright a design. This is why Samsung only had to change the Galaxy Tab a little bit in order to avoid being too similar to the iPad despite the fact that they don't share the same dimensions.
    Shapes are permutations of different measurements in 3 dimensions. Shapes were invented when the universe happened and the laws of mathematics began to exist, even before they were discovered by man.

There is also something called form factor and industry standard.

In computing, a form factor specifies the physical dimensions of major system components. Specifically, in the IBM PC compatible industry, standard form factors ensure that parts are interchangeable across competing vendors and generations of technology
    Look at Desktops for example. Do you have any idea how many Black, plastic, ATX cases are on the market, and how many different companies make them? Do you know how many silver laptops are on the market? There are Toshiba Protege laptops that look like Sony VAIOs that also look like Macbook pros. You don't see those specific products getting banned. From 10 feet away, a Sony VAIO DOES look like a Macbook Pro.

Form factors are so generic, that they have become INDUSTRY STANDARDS. All slates must be rectangular because the Motherboards are as close to rectangular in shape as they are going to get. You cannot fit a 4 sided Motherboard into a triangle, and you certainly cannot properly fit it into a 5, 6, 7,, or 8 sided slate device...let alone a ROUND ONE!

Capacitive touch screen is now also a standard, so using a capacitive touch screen in a Samsung or non Apple slate is not copying Apple, it is called conforming to industry standard. Its like forcing one company to use Floppy Disk because using optical media or hard drives would be copying them.

Apple did not create the rectangle. You cannot patent a shape, or a shape with dimensions. Eventually, you would run out of permutations of thickness, width, and height that can conform to industry standards of motherboard and hardware production, not to mention permutations that are comfortable for humans to use, if each one was protected and could never be copied. It is like Sony saying "Nobody else can ever make a 49" television that is only X amount of mm thick...only we can do that" That's called a monopoly and those are ILLEGAL according to the World Trade Organization.

Samsung has taken ideas that Apple has tweaked, and further tweaked them, much like Apple took ideas (that they didn't create or pioneer) and tweaked them to make their interfaces and devices. This happens all the time. Technology advances when concepts and ideas are tweaked and improved upon. It is called innovation. We wouldn't have those compact florescent energy saving bulbs if someone did not tweak the incandescent light bulb. We would not have flat panel screens if someone did not tweak the idea of CRT screens. We would not have Supersonic jets, if someone didn't tweak and improve upon the idea the propeller. We would not have fiber optic if someone didn't tweak and improve upon the connectivity provided by copper wiring.

The point is, Apple wishes to halt advancement, halt progress, and halt innovation so they can make money and form a marketing dictatorship. These are criminal masterminds we are dealing with, criminals who think they can tell us what we should and should not be allowed to buy. This is why I am now boycotting Apple, and have taken it upon myself to get as many people OFF of ALL Apple products until Apple backs off and lets progress and innovation rule the day! Samsung is not stealing ideas, they are giving people what they expect, what we are used to. If Samsung starts doing it better, Apple better step up their game or sink!

If you agreed with ANYTHING I just said, then you MUST boycott Apple because if you don't, and they are allowed to continue, you will see innovation come to a near grinding halt. You will only have yourselves to blame at that point. You don't need to give up your Apple devices, just stop buying new ones, stop upgrading, and, if you need a new device, consider alternatives, such as Samsung and consider the Android iOS. However, It would be ideal if you trashed your current iDevices and just switch to Windows/Linux and Android based devices.
    Last edited by LivesForJihad; 12-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Shapes are permutations of different measurements in 3 dimensions. Shapes were invented when the universe happened and the laws of mathematics began to exist, even before they were discovered by man. There is also something called form factor and industry standard. Look at Desktops for example. Do you have any idea how many Black, plastic, ATX cases are on the market, and how many different companies make them? Do you know how many silver laptops are on the market? There are Toshiba Protege laptops that look like Sony VAIOs that also look like Macbook pros. You don't see those specific products getting banned. From 10 feet away, a Sony VAIO DOES look like a Macbook Pro. Form factors are so generic, that they have become INDUSTRY STANDARDS. All slates must be rectangular because the Motherboards are as close to rectangular in shape as they are going to get. You cannot fit a 4 sided Motherboard into a triangle, and you certainly cannot properly fit it into a 5, 6, 7,, or 8 sided slate device...let alone a ROUND ONE! Capacitive touch screen is now also a standard, so using a capacitive touch screen in a Samsung or non Apple slate is not copying Apple, it is called conforming to industry standard. Its like forcing one company to use Floppy Disk because using optical media or hard drives would be copying them. Apple did not create the rectangle. You cannot patent a shape, or a shape with dimensions. Eventually, you would run out of permutations of thickness, width, and height that can conform to industry standards of motherboard and hardware production, not to mention permutations that are comfortable for humans to use, if each one was protected and could never be copied. It is like Sony saying "Nobody else can ever make a 49" television that is only X amount of mm thick...only we can do that" That's called a monopoly and those are ILLEGAL according to the World Trade Organization. Samsung has taken ideas that Apple has tweaked, and further tweaked them, much like Apple took ideas (that they didn't create or pioneer) and tweaked them to make their interfaces and devices. This happens all the time. Technology advances when concepts and ideas are tweaked and improved upon. It is called innovation. We wouldn't have those compact florescent energy saving bulbs if someone did not tweak the incandescent light bulb. We would not have flat panel screens if someone did not tweak the idea of CRT screens. We would not have Supersonic jets, if someone didn't tweak and improve upon the idea the propeller. We would not have fiber optic if someone didn't tweak and improve upon the connectivity provided by copper wiring. The point is, Apple wishes to halt advancement, halt progress, and halt innovation so they can make money and form a marketing dictatorship. These are criminal masterminds we are dealing with, criminals who think they can tell us what we should and should not be allowed to buy. This is why I am now boycotting Apple, and have taken it upon myself to get as many people OFF of ALL Apple products until Apple backs off and lets progress and innovation rule the day! Samsung is not stealing ideas, they are giving people what they expect, what we are used to. If Samsung starts doing it better, Apple better step up their game or sink! If you agreed with ANYTHING I just said, then you MUST boycott Apple because if you don't, and they are allowed to continue, you will see innovation come to a near grinding halt. You will only have yourselves to blame at that point. You don't need to give up your Apple devices, just stop buying new ones, stop upgrading, and, if you need a new device, consider alternatives, such as Samsung and consider the Android iOS. However, It would be ideal if you trashed your current iDevices and just switch to Windows/Linux and Android based devices.
    I totally agree its really logical to trash your iPhone that you paid $200+ for isn't it?? And you just don't get it do you , apple is only using Samsung because of copying. Otherwise they'd be suing every other computer company, because PC sales are higher than Mac sales. It's not rocket science. And apple is allowed to patent a design they came up with. And now your calling apple criminals for apparently "telling us what we can and can't buy"?! You're being a hypocrite and telling us to boycott apple and destroy our apple devices. Think before you post.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Shapes are permutations of different measurements in 3 dimensions.
    Thanks for the help LFJ. I don't agree with most of your rambling diatribe but I do agree that Apple is doing a bad job of stifling innovation outside their own offices.

I'm still not giving up anything Apple I own until competitors give me the smoothness of OS X and iOS and the "Apple experience."

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    In other words, the Galaxy Tablet should look like this:
    ahaha LOVE IT !

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123