+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Gave Samsung Some Design Alternatives

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
apple be out of control
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mtl, Canada
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    apple be out of control

  2. #22
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I hope to whatever God you believe in that you are NOT saying that Apple invented the tablet form factor and that everyone else is copying Apple and ripping them off. If you are...you don't deserve to cal yourself intell

    I buy my tablets because they ARE NOT the iPad. I have my gripes against Apple, and I refuse to buy or use anything from them anymore. Their business practice is tantamount to a a marketing dictatorship. It is one of the reasons I totaled my iPhone with a sledgehammer and bought a Galaxy SII (and waiting for the SIII)

    But as per this post...what kind of list did Apple give? Lets translate:

    • A front surface that is not black. "Or one that isn't white, or any other monochrome color. Apple owns colors now"
    • A shape that is not rectangular. "No 4 sided tablet devices please"
    • No rounded corners. "So Blackberry can go after you next"
    • A front surface that is not flat. "Why don't you try a sphere shaped device? People like Magic 8 Balls"
    • Varying Bezel size. "Apple also owns mathematical measurements"
    • A device that is not thin. (I am not even going to touch this)
    • A cluttered appearance (F**K you Apple)

    Basically...Apple wants a monopoly on slate devices. Apple is under the delusion that it invented the touch screen computing experience, that it invented touch screen in general, and that it should be the only company on the market that should be allowed to make Slate devices that conform to the 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. It's like GE going after Maytag for making Microwaves that act similar to the ones they make. YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND THINGS WARM UP!

    Apple is a company of hypocrites, so much so that it is not even funny! I have really grown to hate this company. Apple didn't invent touch screen phones, Nokia had one out before Apple did, and it was fully touch screen too. There was Compaq/HP iPaqs, Palm, and some Proprietary Windows Mobile phones. I know that Microsoft got into the Touch GUI interface in 2002ish with Windows XP Tablet edition, and Vista was touch enabled as well. All of this stuff was before the iPhone and iPad. All of the aforementioned devices were rectangular, they all had bezels, they all had BLACK bezels. They all had flat surfaces. If anything, Apple stole the concept of touch from other companies, tweaked it, and then has the nerve to call other people who tweaked their approach thieves.

    Apple didn't invent shapes, they don't own shapes, they don't own colors. What we need is an Apple boycott, to send the message to either foster competition, or lose business. Quite frankly, if there was no competition, then we would still be at iOS 1.0 or 2.0. where we had no video capture ability, no copy and paste, and no multitasking, and terrible performance. Do you think the iPhone would be as powerful as it is today? No. If you own an Apple product, stop using it until Apple backs off and embraces free enterprise and competition.

    Apple needs to learn the hard way, and the people who HAVE to teach them are the consumers.

    (Fun fact, Compaq and HP had the i moniker before Apple did. Apple stole that.)
    Could't agree more brother,this monopoly things should be ended.apple just don't want competition.that's it.apple,you cannot rule world with your what so called iPad aka enlarged iPhone with no calling feature.cannot black?that just stupid.instead,samsung should send alternative design for crapple 4s battery.after 2 update still cannot solve 'bugs'?haha believe me,it's hardware.now,I don't care if samsung 'copy' apple,their product just better than apple,and as costumer,I just support the best product.
    Last edited by Mr.amin; 12-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.amin For This Useful Post:

    jOnGarrett (12-05-2011)

  4. #23
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts


  5. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    While you are correct in saying that Nokia and hp and palm and and Microsoft all had touch devices before apple, they were not very good at all, and not he fully developed. Apple took the touchscreen idea, and made I better. Then android phones started using capacitive touchscreen right after apple. Other companies started the touchscreen idea and almost failed. Apple took the dying idea and perfected it. I will say that when I read the article, I thought apples suggestions were a joke. But you have to remember that apple is only suing Samsung. They aren't suing Any other company. So Samsung must have done something different from the other right? *cough* Samsung's touchwiz android UI *cough*
    uhh correct, but the capacitive touchscreen part has no relevance, becasue it was mainstream long before the ipad was released (apple isnt disputing that). The ipad made touchscreen tablets mainstream, not because it was particularly brilliant (although to be fair the ipad is pretty cool piece of hardware), but because it was apple branded so people could trust it hence many sold and the idea became popular.

    Touchwiz UI i can agree is too similar to the iphone design and i can see apples point on this.
    It seems to me that apples suggestions could actually have a negative impact for them. 'A cluttered appearence'. For them to suggest ideas that are blantently designed solely to weaken a product goes against marketing prectices.

    As said previously by someone, apple apparently owns all rights to the colour black, and the rectangle. I might go and suggest that they copyright the human form so they make income from every time someone is born.

  6. #25
    Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    3,712
    Thanks
    1,080
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Sorry, but you are incorrect. Most people searching for a tablet would look at an iPad. But since the release of the kindle fire and the nook tablet, people have been considering those ALOT as well. In fact, kindle fire is the wifi tablets best seller on best buy.com Kindle fire is the iPads only competition. Galaxy tab? Not even close. You're saying an iPad is a tablet that no one wants? It's the most popular. I'm not being a fanboy as you are,it's just plain simple facts. Maybe if SAMSUNG could create a half decent product of their own, then maybe they wouldn't have to worry about getting sued. I mean seriously, have you seen the galaxy player's UI? It's a blatant knck off of iPod touch and iPhone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple Gave Samsung Some Design Alternatives-alot.png  

  7. #26
    My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    crapple really need to realise if they released a good product then everyone would want theirs so there would be no worry about the competition but as it is the iPads are inferior to other tablets so instead of crApple making a better tablet they just sue everyone else making theirs the only one on the market. PATHETIC crAPPLE! GROW UP!
    Did you just suggest that Apple has the only tablet on the market and that it's a result of bullying or am I just so flabbergasted by how much of a moron you are that I can't actually make sense of the statement?

  8. #27
    Green Apple MMX007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    crAPPLE enterprise should get a life and get out more and mix with and socialise amongst normal human being like us and act like adults.
    There's similarity on everything on this planet and beyond. Here's one example: Human Beings!!! Do we look similar? As well as everything else on this planet. Just think about it (cr)APPLE wake up! Oh I have a piano that sounds/looks like the other band I saw on MTV thinking if I should sue them. ROTFLUTS.

    By the way I'm writing this on my iPhone (I love their hardware) Jailbroken up to it's guts. Just hate the Apple policies. It's like I buy a Ferrari and they tell me what roads I'm allowed to drive. GET A LIFE APPLE.
    Apologies for shouting but just couldn't resist it.

  9. #28
    My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts

    I don't see how apple can trademark a tablet design - its just a slate with a screen. Thats like saying that only one company can produce books as we know it - everyone else has to make some other version of a book.Ridiculous. Apple is becoming more like Microsoft every day.... shame.

  10. #29
    Green Apple TheReliq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eman561 View Post
    Samsung pretty much does just copy the iPad..... The only reason anyone buys any tablets is just in hopes that it will be close to as good as the iPad lol, and samsung knows that.
    Ummm, I bought a Galaxy Tab for the soul purpose of it actually supporting Flash, having a wide screen display, and having a whole lot more functionality without the necessity of using iTunes. What does THAT have to do with the iPad??? Absolutely NOTHING. So I don't know what in the world you're talking about. The only time I ever use my iPad is for iBooks and FaceTime. Other than that it sits in my upper drawer and collects dust.

  11. #30
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Sorry, but you are incorrect. Most people searching for a tablet would look at an iPad. But since the release of the kindle fire and the nook tablet, people have been considering those ALOT as well. In fact, kindle fire is the wifi tablets best seller on best buy.com Kindle fire is the iPads only competition. Galaxy tab? Not even close. You're saying an iPad is a tablet that no one wants? It's the most popular. I'm not being a fanboy as you are,it's just plain simple facts. Maybe if SAMSUNG could create a half decent product of their own, then maybe they wouldn't have to worry about getting sued. I mean seriously, have you seen the galaxy player's UI? It's a blatant knck off of iPod touch and iPhone.
    Ummm...so you are saying that Samsung makes terrible products. Right...

    A solid chunk of every iPhone is built out of components supplied by Samsung, including the flash memory, DRAM memory and applications processor. In total, these components account for 26% of the component cost of each iPhone 4.

    I guess Samsung's products suck when they AREN'T in the iDevice line. The A4 and A5 chips are Samsung. So whats an iDevice without Memory, storage, and a processor? You tell me.

    Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

    But...lets talk about interfaces. Show me the patent that says Apple owns the GUI (which they stole from Xerox) AND the one where they own the idea of arranging icons that can be clicked/touched.

    You are basically trying to claim ownership of the shoelace.

    Did you know some things cannot be owned? The word Kleenex is now so universal, that Kleenex Inc is not allowed to own it. The same goes with things like doors, and the GUI. Is Apple so fragile that it cannot take a bit of competition? They took an idea and tweaked it. This entitles others to tweak THEIR ideas. This is called innovation.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to LivesForJihad For This Useful Post:

    jOnGarrett (12-05-2011)

  13. #31
    Green Apple TheReliq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I hope to whatever God you believe in that you are NOT saying that Apple invented the tablet form factor and that everyone else is copying Apple and ripping them off. If you are...you don't deserve to cal yourself intell

    I buy my tablets because they ARE NOT the iPad. I have my gripes against Apple, and I refuse to buy or use anything from them anymore. Their business practice is tantamount to a a marketing dictatorship. It is one of the reasons I totaled my iPhone with a sledgehammer and bought a Galaxy SII (and waiting for the SIII)

    But as per this post...what kind of list did Apple give? Lets translate:

    • A front surface that is not black. "Or one that isn't white, or any other monochrome color. Apple owns colors now"
    • A shape that is not rectangular. "No 4 sided tablet devices please"
    • No rounded corners. "So Blackberry can go after you next"
    • A front surface that is not flat. "Why don't you try a sphere shaped device? People like Magic 8 Balls"
    • Varying Bezel size. "Apple also owns mathematical measurements"
    • A device that is not thin. (I am not even going to touch this)
    • A cluttered appearance (F**K you Apple)

    Basically...Apple wants a monopoly on slate devices. Apple is under the delusion that it invented the touch screen computing experience, that it invented touch screen in general, and that it should be the only company on the market that should be allowed to make Slate devices that conform to the 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. It's like GE going after Maytag for making Microwaves that act similar to the ones they make. YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND THINGS WARM UP!

    Apple is a company of hypocrites, so much so that it is not even funny! I have really grown to hate this company. Apple didn't invent touch screen phones, Nokia had one out before Apple did, and it was fully touch screen too. There was Compaq/HP iPaqs, Palm, and some Proprietary Windows Mobile phones. I know that Microsoft got into the Touch GUI interface in 2002ish with Windows XP Tablet edition, and Vista was touch enabled as well. All of this stuff was before the iPhone and iPad. All of the aforementioned devices were rectangular, they all had bezels, they all had BLACK bezels. They all had flat surfaces. If anything, Apple stole the concept of touch from other companies, tweaked it, and then has the nerve to call other people who tweaked their approach thieves.

    Apple didn't invent shapes, they don't own shapes, they don't own colors. What we need is an Apple boycott, to send the message to either foster competition, or lose business. Quite frankly, if there was no competition, then we would still be at iOS 1.0 or 2.0. where we had no video capture ability, no copy and paste, and no multitasking, and terrible performance. Do you think the iPhone would be as powerful as it is today? No. If you own an Apple product, stop using it until Apple backs off and embraces free enterprise and competition.

    Apple needs to learn the hard way, and the people who HAVE to teach them are the consumers.

    (Fun fact, Compaq and HP had the i moniker before Apple did. Apple stole that.)
    Lol, you took the words right out of my mouth. Good job!!

  14. #32
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Ummm...so you are saying that Samsung makes terrible products. Right...

    A solid chunk of every iPhone is built out of components supplied by Samsung, including the flash memory, DRAM memory and applications processor. In total, these components account for 26% of the component cost of each iPhone 4.

    I guess Samsung's products suck when they AREN'T in the iDevice line. The A4 and A5 chips are Samsung. So whats an iDevice without Memory, storage, and a processor? You tell me.

    Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

    But...lets talk about interfaces. Show me the patent that says Apple owns the GUI (which they stole from Xerox) AND the one where they own the idea of arranging icons that can be clicked/touched.

    You are basically trying to claim ownership of the shoelace.

    Did you know some things cannot be owned? The word Kleenex is now so universal, that Kleenex Inc is not allowed to own it. The same goes with things like doors, and the GUI. Is Apple so fragile that it cannot take a bit of competition? They took an idea and tweaked it. This entitles others to tweak THEIR ideas. This is called innovation.
    Actually, believe it or not apple designed their own processors. And notice how only Samsung touchwiz has a GUI similar to iOS. Hmmmm. Also notice how smamsung is the only tablet maker apple is suing. So they must have done something different thanthe other tablet companies am I right? I think so. And the Samsung galaxy sales aren't even close to the iPad's or the kindle fire's. So apple must not be suing just because of competition. Otherwise they would be suing Amazon like crazy, just so the iPad wouldn't have competition. So guess what? I guess Samsung must have copied apple. What other reason would there be to go to court for this? Oh also, let's talk about samsung nice PLASTIC phones. Oh yeah great quality. Also, do I have to post this for the second time in thi thread: http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a
    Last edited by iPod; 12-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.

    secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

  15. #33
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,384
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 467 Times in 379 Posts

    How would having a non-black bezel help? The iPad 2 comes in white. Does the Galaxy bezel have to be colored now?

  16. #34
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    3,130
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Actually, believe it or not apple designed their own processors. And notice how only Samsung touchwiz has a GUI similar to iOS. Hmmmm. Also notice how smamsung is the only tablet maker apple is suing. So they must have done something different thanthe other tablet companies am I right? I think so. And the Samsung galaxy sales aren't even close to the iPad's or the kindle fire's. So apple must not be suing just because of competition. Otherwise they would be suing Amazon like crazy, just so the iPad wouldn't have competition. So guess what? I guess Samsung must have copied apple. What other reason would there be to go to court for this? Oh also, let's talk about samsung nice PLASTIC phones. Oh yeah great quality. Also, do I have to post this for the second time in thi thread: Samsung have not copied Apple. Here is the proof! via reddit.com
    Appl£ should feel honored by $am$ung as Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
    Last edited by dsg; 12-03-2011 at 07:21 PM.

  17. #35
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Appl£ should feel honored by $am$ung as Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
    Haha true true

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    How would having a non-black bezel help? The iPad 2 comes in white. Does the Galaxy bezel have to be colored now?
    Yes, Samsung will have yellow,blue, gold, red, green, and beige galaxy tabs
    Last edited by iPod; 12-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.

    secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

    dsg (12-03-2011)

  19. #36
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Its funny how many bash the samsung phone for having a plastic housing and equate that to bad quality. Drop test show how much more durable the plastic housing is, if it isnt even obvious from the fact that the iPhone is made from glass. Have you seen a macbook? (not the pro mind you) its made of plastic, does that make it any less quality? Its also funny that many bash the samsung phones for being lighter equality equating that to bad quality. Since when is it bad for a mobile device to be light. I don't understand why so many of you care about what phone other people use. Buy what you want and leave other people alone, why is that so difficult? Apple copied other and others will copy Apple.

  20. #37
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Actually, believe it or not apple designed their own processors. And notice how only Samsung touchwiz has a GUI similar to iOS. Hmmmm. Also notice how smamsung is the only tablet maker apple is suing. So they must have done something different thanthe other tablet companies am I right? I think so. And the Samsung galaxy sales aren't even close to the iPad's or the kindle fire's. So apple must not be suing just because of competition. Otherwise they would be suing Amazon like crazy, just so the iPad wouldn't have competition. So guess what? I guess Samsung must have copied apple. What other reason would there be to go to court for this? Oh also, let's talk about samsung nice PLASTIC phones. Oh yeah great quality. Also, do I have to post this for the second time in thi thread: Samsung have not copied Apple. Here is the proof! via reddit.com
    Wrong, Apples mobile processors are designed and built by ARM - Cortex-A5 Processor - ARM. Apple sued Samsung because at the time of the suit they were the biggest threat to them. There is no way in hell the Kindle has reached the Galaxy Tabs sales numbers seeing as it has only been only for about 2 weeks, need to check your numbers again. Apple claiming that Galaxy Tab design is copied from the Ipad is pure BS, you cannot patent a color, a shape or a thickness. And plastic will stand up to a drop better then glass ever well due its ability to flex to a certain degree.

  21. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    You stated your opinion and that is fine but you don't have to be so rude about it.

    As a reference to the similarity, the lawyer Samsung hired for one of the court cases couldn't tell the difference ten feet away... that must say something about the two tablets... and just to clarify before you possibly go about saying its the lawyers fault, wouldn't Samsung be responsible for hiring the lawyer for such an important case in the first place? (Source)

    I still think Apple's suggestions are absurd here though.
    when was the last time you purchased a tablet or a phone from ten feet away? AND, why did the judge hold both tablets in portrait mode? the iPad 2 was designed for portrait mode use, the 10.1 was designed for landscape mode use.

    the Samsung lawyers were not incompetent, the judge was. for making such an absurd request AND purposely misrepresenting the Tab 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by eman561 View Post
    Samsung pretty much does just copy the iPad..... The only reason anyone buys any tablets is just in hopes that it will be close to as good as the iPad lol, and samsung knows that.
    copy? If it was such a copy, why did apple's lawyers submit doctored photos to the court in an effort to make the 10.1 look like the iPad 2?

  22. #39
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Apple claiming that Galaxy Tab design is copied from the Ipad is pure BS, you cannot patent a color, a shape or a thickness.
    You can patent/copyright a shape if you created the shape. The unique combination of thickness, shape, and color are called design. You can patent/copyright a design. This is why Samsung only had to change the Galaxy Tab a little bit in order to avoid being too similar to the iPad despite the fact that they don't share the same dimensions.

    Remember guys, it isn't the fact that it's a Samsung product vs. an Apple product that makes people want the iPad more. It's Android vs. iOS. Always has been and always will be.

    The devices are similar nowadays and share similar technical specs.

    Aesthetics are different but it's the OS that sells me more on the iPhone/iPad than anything with Android on it.

    Now the troll is going to make his multi-daily appearance after my post.
    Last edited by alexevo; 12-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.

  23. #40
    Green Apple aamodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Why does Apple have to bother how the samsung tab looks.. y R they so insecure.. no matter how close a samsung tab looks to the iPad it cannot match up to it...so y the insecurity ???

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts