+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Rumored to Release Microsoft Office for iOS "Soon"

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Rumored to Release Microsoft Office for iOS "Soon"

A report from The Daily claims that sources have confirmed Microsoft has an iPad version of its Office app in the works along with a new Lion compatible version of the desktop suite as well. This news comes in after former Microsoft Business Unit head Stephen Elop (who is now the CEO of Nokia) strongly hinted towards it and told T3 they were considering it.

Up until now, the iWork suite of apps including Keynote, Numbers, and Pages have been the go-to apps for productivity on the iOS platform while also being Microsoft Office’s counterpart on the OS X. If Microsoft happens to implement Microsoft Office well, then we could possibly see Office for iOS eating into some of Apple’s and the iWork suite’s user base. The app is expected to be introduced at a similar price point to the iWork suite as well.

The Daily reported the following:

It’s assumed that both of these would work with Office 365 as well as mobile versions, such as Windows Phone’s Office Hub. Because it would be compatible with these full suites rather than as stand-alone apps, the pricing will most likely be significantly lower than existing Office products. In fact, it’s likely the cost will be around the $10 price point that Apple has established for its Pages, Numbers and Keynote products.
    Currently there are conflicting reports of whether or not Microsoft is actively developing the app. In April of 2010, Elop mentioned that they would be taking the “wait and see” route when it came to supporting the iPad. He told Bloomberg the following: “We never say never, but we have no current plans.” An iPad edition of Office would likely be built by a unit within Microsoft’s consumer business that creates versions of Office that work with Apple’s Mac-based computers. A spokeswoman for the unit, Kristen Woody, said that the company “doesn’t have anything to share at this time.”

As of right now, Microsoft seems to have an important decision to make. Should they provide the critical business software which is needed on the iPad and risk hurting their Windows PC business by making their products replaceable? Or should they skip out on the idea and continue to push their own products? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: The Daily, Bloomberg

Thanks

I would probably buy this... I like MS office for Mac, so much more user friendly than the pc version. Also, office for Mac is developed in Israel, Bill Gates has turned out to be a real mensch. So I don't mind supporting Microsoft.
    Last edited by Donnutt; 11-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I would probably buy this... I like MS office for Mac, so much more user friendly than the pc version. Also, office for Mac is developed in Israel, Bill Gates has turned out to be a real mensch. So I don't mind supporting Microsoft.
    Why Bill Gates? He is retired now. The CEO is Steve Ballmer.

Referring to Microsoft with Bill Gates is like referring to Apple with John Sculley.

>All said just for giggles.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Interesting
    Even though Pages and Keynote work fine for me I plan on purchasing this if it is real.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Should they provide the critical business software which is needed on the iPad and risk hurting their Windows PC business by making their products replaceable? Or should they skip out on the idea and continue to push their own products?"With that logic, its like Apple pulling support for iTunes for Windows. No iTunes for Windows, people will have to buy Apple computers. I think Apple would have done that if it would be a smart thing to do, but they don't so I'm assuming its not smart. If Windows didn't use Apple products and vice versa it would be detrimental to both. Furthermore, Office is already on OSX, how would a iOS version make Windows PCs more replaceable? If anything, its harder to type on touchscreens anyway unless you have a decent keyboard attachment. I personally would not want to write my essays on my iPad touch keyboard, autocorrect would ruin my grades! jk.I personally didn't know people were document editing a lot on the iPad. I guess its a good to have more options though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Parts of the Office suites were actually exclusive to Macs first. They have had many agreements along the way to keep apple and microsoft apps in close ties.

Thanks

That's great to hear!! Hope this is true.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Writing an entire essay, thesis, or anything longer than a short comment or response can be frustrating via an iPhone of iPad. These apps shouldn't be aimed at replacing the desktop version of Office, but as extensions of the programs themselves. They should be used as quick alternative when you need to make last second edits, edits on the road, or perhaps—for ppt at least—provide a better way to present content. Instead of trying to emulate the desktop experience devs of these programs need to embrace the form factor and inherit values of a touch UI. If this is what Office on the iPad becomes I'm all for it. If they try and cram as much of the desktop version into my iPad as they can, that is the last thing I want.

Thanks

Please send a FREE Copy this WAY!! I would love to have this for my iPad, AWESOME...If the price is right I will get this for sure, of course - a FREE Giveaway would be GREAT!! Sign Me Up

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Surprisingly I like MS Office on Windows over Mac. That's the primary reason why I use a virtual machine with Win7 lol. I would love MS Office for iPhone. Wish they'd have that made...

Thanks

Too many people get caught up in style rather than substance.If you are going to do some writing, then write: you can make it look pretty later.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The convenience and placement of each tool is different in each version. I'd say it's more to do with accessibility and efficacy.