+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chief Rabbi in U.K. Blames Steve Jobs and iDevices for 'Egocentric' Culture

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The Chief Rabbi in the U.K., Lord Sacks, is blaming Apple for creating today’s consumer society. Sacks made comments last week in the Queen's presence at an interfaith reception comparing
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chief Rabbi in U.K. Blames Steve Jobs and iDevices for 'Egocentric' Culture

The Chief Rabbi in the U.K., Lord Sacks, is blaming Apple for creating today’s consumer society.

Sacks made comments last week in the Queen's presence at an interfaith reception comparing the iPad to a modern version of Moses’ stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed.

“The consumer society was laid down by the late Steve Jobs coming down the mountain with two tablets, iPad one and iPad two, and the result is that we now have a culture of iPod, iPhone, iTune, i, i, i," he said. “When you’re an individualist, egocentric culture and you only care about 'i’, you don’t do terribly well.” — Sacks
    Sacks reinterpreted the i in Apple’s iDevices as an indication that our society has become increasingly self-oriented. Pay no mind to the countless other companies vying for your hard-earned cash. Ignore the transformation of the American economy from a needs based to a consumer economy at the turn of the century resulting in an onslaught new advertising techniques meant to evoke want. No, the evolution of the current ego-centric society rests solely on Steve Jobs shoulders and the last 15 years of his life.

Sack’s point is well-intentioned. Being more selfless and less selfish would help everyone, but stating “The consumer society is in fact the most efficient mechanism ever devised for the creation and distribution of unhappiness” and then singling out demand for the new iPhone might be a little unfair. Sure Jobs and Apple have perfected a business model that works in tandem with a “must-have” culture, but the seeds for that culture were planted a long time ago. It’s the same reason people wait overnight for the latest game-consoles or camp out a week ahead of Black-Friday.

Sacks ultimately called on the devout to turn to faith as the answer to avoid the traps of materialism. People should thank God for the things they do have and “spend your time with things that do matter, with family.” I’ll agree with that much, family time is important. I’ll never understand the need to forgo Thanksgiving and family time to camp out and get a television.

Unless of course you’ve got a six-room pop-up tent, portable generator, propane turkey fryer and a giant portable table. Thanksgiving in a Best Buy parking lot. I can think of nothing more American than that.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks

Brittany Spears said it best; "Gimmie, Gimmie MORE"....

Thanks

whats iPad 3?

Thanks

About time these people got a life!! Of its not this it's something else! Their real issue is people turning away from religion and seem more intent on attacking things like iPhones rather embracing them!

Thanks

Ha ha...leave it to a Brit to berate capitalism!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If I had to choose, I think I would much rather place my beliefs in an iDevice rather than a mystery man. I know iPhones and iPads have existed and I have seen their magic first hand and not through a compilation of stories. Yup. I said it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

""Iíll never understand the need to forgo Thanksgiving and family time to camp out and get a television.""

Now that depends on the make, model and price!

Religion is for the weak and lazy, believing that some god will do the work for you instead of doing the work yourself, now thats selfish!!
    Last edited by lukeyb; 11-21-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can argue all you want who is "responsible" for what has happened but he's partially right. We are now more a society of "Me" and "I" than we have ever been. Though I don't think Jobs is solely responsible, the devices he created have fueled the direction of selfishness we were already going.Re: lukeyb- You obviously don't have a clue what it means to most people who believe in a God. He doesn't do the work FOR you. Your agency determines what He will or won't help you with.

Thanks

Listen the world has changed for the better because of Jobs, and all technology. The fact we can send emails on our phones, clearly makes seeing people sending them in public more pronounced. It has nothing to do with being self absorbed. It's called time management. Every email and text I send when im out, means more time when I get home for my wife and kids. So go iBelieve somewhere else their Rabbie McRabbi.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Religion VS I
    Most of us, especially iphone owners, think for ourselves.
    Just because we want to own a device that allows connection to others,
    does not mean that we are selfish.
    Many people have lost their lives over religious beliefs...think about that!

I wish these religious zealots would GROW UP and get a life!

Thanks

"I’ll never understand the need to forgo Thanksgiving and family time to camp out and get a television." I fail to see where the two are mutually exclusive. I've done the Black Friday thing two years in a row and I never missed a single meal or minute with the family, yet I still managed to get everything that was on my list.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am about as far from religious as they come, but some of the comments on here simply don't belong. Just because you are I do not believe in something doesn't mean we should publicly belittle those that do. It's unfortunate that it's a religious man that said this because that is all people now seem to be focusing on (regarding this thread). I think there is a lot of merit and truth to what was said. A new Apple device comes out yearly and MANY of us are guilty of "needing" that new device, regardless of what (more) it does.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, Apple is the devil. So lets burn all of our stuff and pray. This is just stupid. I'm a Christian (the faith is based on Judaism), but I have the common sense to know that materialism was alive and kicking way before Jobs hit the scene. This Rabbi is making his faith look ignorant. Yes, I know that the actions of the few do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of the many. But thats not how media and public opinion works.tim

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Some of the biggest hippocrits I know are the most religious.John Lennon said it best...Imagine there's no Heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    Religion is for the weak and lazy, believing that some god will do the work for you instead of doing the work yourself, now thats selfish!!
    Spoken like a person that doesn't know much about religion. Just out of curiosity, are you speaking specifically about Christianity, or do you mean all religion? Muslims spend a good portion of each day in prayer to their god. Lazy? Doesn't sound like it. (Most) Jews live a life that requires them to avoid certain foods that you and I love. Weak? Hardly. My personal beliefs dictate that I donate 10% of my gross income to my church (which I do with complete faith and obedience) to be used for those in need. Selfish? I don't believe so.

I understand that you don't carry any religious beliefs, and that's fine. I won't try to persuade you. You could have argued that religion has been responsible for wars and bloodshed. I couldn't have argued with you on that one (though I may have pointed out that it's also been responsible for much good in the world). But weak and lazy? That's a poor choice of adjectives, my friend.

So, if you all don't mind, can we keep our comments directed to the Rabbi in the article and not try to make this about religion in general. We're not all cut from the same cloth. I'm devoutly religious and have owned every iPhone and iPad they've released.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Some of the biggest hippocrits I know are the most religious.John Lennon said it best...Imagine there's no Heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one
    While we're on the topic of hypocrites, John Lennon was about as big as the come. For a man that spoke so much about how "all you need is love" he was a horrible father that abandoned and practically disowned his first son. This is a fascinating and very candid interview: Julian Lennon on John - YouTube
    Last edited by stevelucky; 11-21-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaoticsquirrel View Post
    If I had to choose, I think I would much rather place my beliefs in an iDevice rather than a mystery man. I know iPhones and iPads have existed and I have seen their magic first hand and not through a compilation of stories. Yup. I said it.
    Sir ive been raised a Christian..... And i have to agree 100% lol hes just mad cuz his Galaxy Tab isnt as cool as the queens iPad xD

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Yes, Apple is the devil. So lets burn all of our stuff and pray. This is just stupid. I'm a Christian (the faith is based on Judaism), but I have the common sense to know that materialism was alive and kicking way before Jobs hit the scene
    is this what you took away from what was said? If so, you missed the point entirely I'm afraid.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings