Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2012 Will See Apple Become World's Largest PC Vendor

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default 2012 Will See Apple Become World's Largest PC Vendor

It's yet another touchstone many hoped Apple would reach but couldn't envision happening so soon. Yet based on the latest estimates from industry analysts released today, stellar Mac and iPad sales have put Apple on track to become the world's biggest PC vendor for 2012.

If, in fact, you lump the iPad into the PC category (which some will debate) as research firm Canalys does, Apple will - by July 2012 - leapfrog past HP to become the globe's king of the PC makers. That title is derived from projected sales of Apple's Macs and iPads when compared to competing PCs on the market. As of today's numbers, Apple is the world's second largest PC vendor.

"Apple has seen its PC market share expand from 9 percent to 15 percent in just four quarters, though iPad shipments in its core market -- the United States -- are likely to come under pressure in Q4 due to the launch of the Fire and Nook at extremely competitive price points," Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling said Monday. "HP and Apple will fight for top position in Q4, but Apple may have to wait for the release of iPad 3 before it passes HP."

For 2011, Canalys estimates full-year 2011 global PC shipments will reach 415 million, up 15% year-on-year. That growth is underpinned predominantly by an increase in iPad sales, the company says.

To read the full report from Canalys, click here.

Source: Canalys

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

While I love the iPad, I still do not fully consider it to be under the PC category. It's still limited to what an actual laptop/desktop can do. No flash (although flash is dying and HTML5 is taking over), no USB ports, no sd card reader, no physical keyboard (unless bought separately). But unless people Re thinking of the basics such as email and web browsing and YouTube, then l guess it could almost be considered a pc...ish..

300th post!

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Banned
    Thanks

15% are apples that means there is still 85% PCs so why is this good news?Still shows you that PCs and Windows/Linux rules.

Personally iPads can't and shouldn't be counted as a "PC" since there's nothing you can't really do with it compared to a pc. Although windows tablets can be counted in windows behalf since no change from a normal pc. If counted then iPods should be counted as well because an iPad is basically a bigger iPod.

Oh I like this guys articles they are the only fair ones I have seen all this time. This guy is more in the middle

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    15% are apples that means there is still 85% PCs so why is this good news?Still shows you that PCs and Windows/Linux rules.
    Apple is a producer of an OS and hardware making their 15% being exactly that. The other 85% is separated between IBM, HP, Dell, and other PC makers so Apple is on track to being the biggest producer, not the controlling OS.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    While I love the iPad, I still do not fully consider it to be under the PC category. It's still limited to what an actual laptop/desktop can do. No flash (although flash is dying and HTML5 is taking over), no USB ports, no sd card reader, no physical keyboard (unless bought separately). But unless people Re thinking of the basics such as email and web browsing and YouTube, then l guess it could almost be considered a pc...ish..

300th post!
    2nd this lol

Sorry, but PHONES and TABLETS are NOT Personal Computers.They are app-players. They are largely Read-Only devices with some minor editing tools.PC's allow you to WORK on them. To create things that you can freely move around and manipulate. Documents, spreadsheets, productions, web design, program coding, etc...The term "PC" should be limited to Desktop Computers and Laptops - devices you can actually BUILD with.

you threw Linux in there? lol

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Apple is a producer of an OS and hardware making their 15% being exactly that. The other 85% is separated between IBM, HP, Dell, and other PC makers so Apple is on track to being the biggest producer, not the controlling OS.

what he said. Not only that, but you gotta also account for the fact that even though they have a smaller share, they are raking in the profits many more times over what the other vendors are bringing in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Sorry, but PHONES and TABLETS are NOT Personal Computers.They are app-players. They are largely Read-Only devices with some minor editing tools.PC's allow you to WORK on them. To create things that you can freely move around and manipulate. Documents, spreadsheets, productions, web design, program coding, etc...The term "PC" should be limited to Desktop Computers and Laptops - devices you can actually BUILD with.
    I can create and manipulate spreadsheets on my iPad and iPhone. I can also create and edit movies, photots and documants

Problem?

I agree in not counting iPads and such in the "computer" category, though iOS is coming close to 100% functionality to a home computer. Id say 70-80% of the things I do daily on my computer I now just do on my phone. Also, just took the opportunity to troll because this is the internet and thats what youre supposed to do.
    make it a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by imnothardcore View Post
    Also, just took the opportunity to troll because this is the internet and thats what youre supposed to do.
    This provided a significant chuckle...
    Thanks for that dude!

Have to agree with posters above. A tablet is not a PC. Not even close. They perform limited functions, and in the case of iProducts, are very limited to what you can put on or get off of them. They do the job for a lot of people, but still aren't a PC.

A little off topic but what does sexyparrot mean? I have seen it a lot and curious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPad isn't anywhere close to being a PC. The people that only use a PC for surfing the interent are the one's that believe the iPad is a PC. If you do any real computing it only takes a few minutes with an iPad to realize it doesn't do much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    The iPad isn't anywhere close to being a PC. The people that only use a PC for surfing the interent are the one's that believe the iPad is a PC. If you do any real computing it only takes a few minutes with an iPad to realize it doesn't do much.
    Id say the iPad does quite a bit pretty well. Not a computer replacement but in my opinion it keeps me off my laptop and desktop for a lot of stuff, Id say most stuff even.

I have no idea what sexy parrot is but I took it as a head bopping finger snapping angry black woman.

noone likes the Gators.
    make it a great day!

Because Apple makes both software and hardware. Micorsoft only gets part of part of (yes two fractions) of the 85% (the part that is microsoft and the part that is software), and Dell (for example) only gets part of part of of the 85% (the fraction of the 85% that they sell, and just the hardware half of it). So Apple's "5%" is larger than Toshiba's "5%" (I don't know the exact number, but Apple had the same market share as another company, Apple would have more because they are hardware AND software, whereas any other company is just hardware OR software).

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Not only that, but you gotta also account for the fact that even though they have a smaller share, they are raking in the profits many more times over what the other vendors are bringing in.
    While that may be great from a business perspective, that isn't a good thing from a consumer perspective. That Apple is making a lot of profit means that their profit margin is very high. Who pays for all that profit? You do.

It irritates me when the Apple fanboys claim that the company they love is so great and use that to support their claims without fully understanding the implications behind it. Apple is a company that has very low costs (due to low-cost manufacturing (read: child labour) as well as reusing parts from their old devices in every new iteration of their products), yet they do not pass these savings on to their consumers. It astounds me that people are willing to pay an incredibly large sum of money simply because the company they love convinces them it's better, but I guess that's all marketing. Apple products aren't really as special or as amazing as their consumers claim they are. It's only because of Apple's brilliant marketing and product differentiation that their products are selling so well right now. Like I said before, while this may be a great thing from a business perspective, it sure as hell isn't one from a consumer perspective. That, as well as many other things, such as Apple's Big Brother attitude toward their consumers (It's my device. I paid good money for it. I should be able to do whatever I want with it.), is why I, as a consumer, don't like them, but also why I, as a business student, admire them.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Think there are more reasons NOT to lump the iPad into the pc category than there are reason to do so...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tariman21 View Post
    While that may be great from a business perspective, that isn't a good thing from a consumer perspective. That Apple is making a lot of profit means that their profit margin is very high. Who pays for all that profit? You do.

It irritates me when the Apple fanboys claim that the company they love is so great and use that to support their claims without fully understanding the implications behind it. Apple is a company that has very low costs (due to low-cost manufacturing (read: child labour) as well as reusing parts from their old devices in every new iteration of their products), yet they do not pass these savings on to their consumers. It astounds me that people are willing to pay an incredibly large sum of money simply because the company they love convinces them it's better, but I guess that's all marketing. Apple products aren't really as special or as amazing as their consumers claim they are. It's only because of Apple's brilliant marketing and product differentiation that their products are selling so well right now. Like I said before, while this may be a great thing from a business perspective, it sure as hell isn't one from a consumer perspective. That, as well as many other things, such as Apple's Big Brother attitude toward their consumers (It's my device. I paid good money for it. I should be able to do whatever I want with it.), is why I, as a consumer, don't like them, but also why I, as a business student, admire them.

Are you trying to tell me Dell and HP dont use child labor at all for their parts? Are you for real? At least Apples customer support is still in California and not India like most companies now. Also, when my wifes HP laptop had a motherboard issue under warranty I sent it off and didnt see it for a few months. WOW, that would be a HUGE problem if that was our only computer. My friends android phone broke and he had to wait a couple weeks before seeing his replacement come in. Whenever I have had an issue with an Apple product, such as my iPhone it was replaced on the spot and they even offered to transfer everything to my new one. Im not one that usually cares about customer service because I typically rarely use it but from my little sample study here Id say there is absolutely a value of that. How much money would I of lost if I was without my laptop for a few months. I can guarantee you it would make the entire price of a Macbook Pro close to negligible.

And as for Apple offering nothing but marketing on their products think about resale. If you go drop $700 on a Dell craptop its going to be worth maybe $200 in a year. A Macbook Pro in that same time will maybe fall in price a couple hundred. Where is the bad investment? 30% return vs 80% return.

No OS in my opinion is an enjoyable to use, especially on a laptop as lion. The full screen apps and all the other little gestures, tweeks, and features make it fantastic for me to use for both work and hobby. I will happily pay and continue to pay the premium for that, it is well worth the extra few hundred bucks for that and to also not have my laptop built in some garbage plastic case, whos cutting cost corners again?

I can also assure you that the cost to build a Macbook Pro well trumps the price to build a Dell Latitude. Youre a business student higher risk and cost should equal more profit, why not? Who took a significant gamble on a product like the iPad to be first to market? Obviously if the iPad bombed that would of been quite a blow financially.
    make it a great day!