+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Launches Redesigned Galaxy Tab in Germany to Circumvent Apple Injunction

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Samsung debuted their redesigned (modified) Galaxy Tab 10.1 for the German market today. The modified “Galaxy Tab 10.1N” adds a distinguishing “N” at the end of the product name so
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung Launches Redesigned Galaxy Tab in Germany to Circumvent Apple Injunction

Samsung debuted their redesigned (modified) Galaxy Tab 10.1 for the German market today.

The modified “Galaxy Tab 10.1N” adds a distinguishing “N” at the end of the product name so their is no confusing the device with the previous device which Apple won an injunction against in August. Apple’s injunction was held up again in September and the device pictured above is Samsung’s successful attempt at releasing a product without violating any Apple patents.

Honesty, the only difference between the new Galaxy Tab and the old Galaxy Tab appears is a larger metal band wrapping around the device and extending onto the front of the device. The redesign resembles a full admission of defeat on Samsung’s part in the ongoing litigation battle in the German courts. Foss Patents’ Florian Mueller commented that the redesigned tablet appears could be a cooperative effort between Samsung’s lawyers and design team to ensure the device wouldn’t violate the current injunction.

The differences appear minimal. Honestly, the new Galaxy Tab looks more like the original iPad now. If this is the design process of the future I fear for tablets of tomorrow. Either it will spur a flurry of innovation by every tablet maker in an effort to avoid any possible litigation, or it will result in a mosaic of beige with every tablet looking relatively the same with some odd distinction just so Apple wont sue them.

Source: MacRumors, Foss Patents

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugly...Doesn't look so slick anymore with that awkward metal banding

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Are there tablets out there with a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I love my original iPad but I hate watching movies on it, which was the main reason I got it. (also expected to be able to hook up my hard drive to play the library of movies I had off it, you know, before it came out)

...la sigh..

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the best outcome possible. Apple 'won' by protecting its IP, Samsung is still in the game, and has developed a new 'form' of tablet in order to be competitive. All in all, a win for all consumers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

its ugly and they still look similar.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

No comment

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

We live in a weird world if the only thing between an injunction and a successful product is a little bit of metal bezel.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
    We live in a weird world if the only thing between an injunction and a successful product is a little bit of metal bezel.
    Don't forget the distinct "N" at the end of the name

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks

It would look really sweet with a silver apple on it... It was still a dumb lawsuit that Apple had no real claim to.

Banned
    Thanks

Apple. Cant beat em' sue em' or we used to innovate, now we litigate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

To be honest it looks more like an iPad then ever before especially if its In a case with all the metal showing...
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why on earth did that have to add an M to the name? Nothing about the name screamed "iPad" before, did it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung pretty much screwed themselves when they couldn't identify their own product in court, ten feet away. Personally, I hope I can get samsung a little cheaper here, in korea. Everyone here has a galaxy... I don't see the hype. (not a fan of android) I've been eyeing one of their 3D monitors.