+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: New Qualcom Gobi 4G LTE Chip Could Land in iPad 3

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Qualcomm issued a press release yesterday announcing the commercial availability of 4G LTE Gobi 4000 chip which could provide LTE support for the next iPad. Currently Apple uses Qualcomm’s Gobi
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Qualcom Gobie 4G LTE Chip Could Land in iPad 3

Qualcomm issued a press release yesterday announcing the commercial availability of 4G LTE Gobi 4000 chip which could provide LTE support for the next iPad.

Currently Apple uses Qualcomm’s Gobi chips in every iOS device since the release of the 3G Verizon iPhone 4 except for the AT&T iPad. It uses an older Infineon chip. The new Gobi 4000 chips will be compatible with all 4G LTE and HSPA+ devices including the iPad 3, if Apple chooses to use the chip.

The Gobi 4000 platform allows customers to offer both LTE/HSPA+ and LTE/EV-DO designs to meet the growing demand for embedded 3G/4G connectivity in mobile devices worldwide… System designers now have the flexibility to choose an embedded Gobi 4000 platform for high-speed 4G LTE support, or an embedded Gobi 3000 platform for worldwide 3G connectivity. — Gobi Press Release
    While there has been no confirmation that Apple’s next iteration of the iPad will be a 4G LTE capable device, the release of the Gobi chip has heated up speculation even more. However, the new Gobi chips is still based on Qualcomm’s MDM9600 chipset which have been shipping all year. These chips still use silicon created with a 45nm production process and as a result are power-hungry battery killers. It is unlikely that Apple would implement a chip that would sacrifice battery life.

Apple is likely waiting for the MDM9615 chip announced by Qualcomm in February. This chip is based on a 28nm production process allowing it to use less power and actually one less chip. Still, reports of LTE iPads being field tested continue to pop up. If Apple does indeed go with the Gobi 4000 for the iPad 3 it will mean only Sprint’s 4G WiMax network will get left out of the 4G mix.

My bet is Apple implements the Gobi 3000 for worldwide 3G support.

Source: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-16-2011 at 10:33 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought a ipad2 wifi and I regretted it since. But will surely buy the ipad3 if they support hspa+ and a screen with better resolution

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    I bought a ipad2 wifi and I regretted it since. But will surely buy the ipad3 if they support hspa+ and a screen with better resolution
    You regret buying a wifi version of the iPad 2? Why is that?

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    Kind of the same here. Didn't think I would need the 3G version since I have an iPhone 4 and typically tether them together but I am looking at getting rid of the iphone later since I do not use it as a phone really. Would rather go with prepaid dumb phone and 3G/4G ipad 3 combo. I could stretch a few dollars out on a prepaid dumb phone for quite awhile. Would cut my cell bill in half (only keep my wife's iphone 4).

Oh well, next ipad I buy will be 3G or 4G capable.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't think the iPad is practical yet. The iPad will not get my attention until probably the iPad 5 or 6 is released.

Thanks

Ill take any iPad, it doesn't matter to me. Wifi, I'll tether it. 3G, works great. A CDMA iPad might be a problem, but hell, it would still work on Wifi.
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my ipad2-wifi jailbroken 4.3.3.. Need more info. and testing B4 i get an ipad3? What if it an ipad2 S? ur bad for jumping the gun...