+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple Implementing New Back Lighting System in iPad 3

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Digitimes is reporting that Apple is planning to change how the iPad 3 is back lit in order to support the device's much rumored Retina Display. According to the report
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Implement New Back Lighting System in iPad 3

Digitimes is reporting that Apple is planning to change how the iPad 3 is back lit in order to support the device's much rumored Retina Display.

According to the report Apple’s next-generation iPad will utilize a LCD panel with a higher resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels. Apparently the increased resolution means the current iPads’ single LED light bar solution wont be enough to illuminate the iPad 3’s retina display.

Vendors have offered up two solutions to Apple so far. One is to use a similar single-bar LED setup but use two LED chips inside. The other solution is to use dual-LED bars. The dual-LED light bar design will likely be the design Apple chooses according to Digitimes, as the vendors have solved heat dissipation and battery consumption issues.

The last comment is particularly concerning. Battery life is a huge issue with tablets, and a particular strength of the iPad. The benefits of the iPad 3’s retina display are potentially huge, but if the downside is crippled battery life count me out. Powering two LED’s instead of one, if done poorly, could be damaging. But, this is all speculation. Digitimes has a hit-and-miss history with Apple rumors. Hopefully these problems implementing a Retina Display in the iPad 3 are more miss than hit.

Source: Digitimes

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

We all know Apple will not release a tablet/product that is bad in battery life. If that means they have to wait for retina, they will wait for retina...and therefore, so will we.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    We all know Apple will not release a tablet/product that is bad in battery life. If that means they have to wait for retina, they will wait for retina...and therefore, so will we.
    Iphone 4S?

Thanks

I don't think "2 LED's instead of one" qualifies as a "new" backlighting system -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Iphone 4S?
    Mostly a software bug issue from what I hear.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 645 Posts

Iphone 4S?
    I have 4s with moderate use my batterie lasts around 40 hours I consider that good since my 3GS needed charged 2 sometimes 3 times a day!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

solar paneling? idk.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Digitimes has a hit-and-miss history with Apple rumors."

This is why journalism is bad now a days. honestly, if Digitimes was an unrealible source, then why would you post a story using that source and that source alone? You make no sense at all. The logic here kills me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flashkid4243 View Post

This is why journalism is bad now a days. honestly, if Digitimes was an unrealible source, then why would you post a story using that source and that source alone? You make no sense at all. The logic here kills me
    +1000000

Thanks

Iphone 4S?
    My 4S had great battery life even compared to my iPhone 4. However, now that I updated to 5.0.1 Beta 2, it's even better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flashkid4243 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantMAC View Post
    +1000000

I think this article is totally valid as news since the "hit" part of your quoted text about Digitimes' history means there is still an unknown amount of validity to the story...something most people who follow Apple (especially in the months prior to a major release) should be used to. I'm glad the writers at modmyi.com write about ALL things considered Apple news because you really never know what they are going to come up/out with until they want us to know. They give us all the info so we can decide for ourselves whether its useful/entertaining or not. If you dont think so, then move on. Dont criticize anyone for doing their job, its a very annoying thing to do to someone. I'm sure we've all gone through it at some point or another.
    Last edited by redline11786; 11-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

wooooooo! I updated to 5.0.1 Beta 2, it's even better.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.