+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Is Not Concerned With Amazon's Kindle Fire Or Kindle Owners' Lending Library

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Amazon recently unveiled the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, a Netflix-style service for borrowing ebooks. The new service is another add-on to Amazon’s Prime program but this service comes with a
    Thanks

Default Apple Is Not Concerned With Amazon's Kindle Fire Or Kindle Owners' Lending Library

Amazon recently unveiled the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, a Netflix-style service for borrowing ebooks. The new service is another add-on to Amazon’s Prime program but this service comes with a few limitations.

As part of the Prime membership, which is $79 per year that includes free two-day shipping, discounting overnight shipping, and access to thousands of streaming movies and televisions shows – customers get access to the new Kindle Owners’ Lending library as well. Customers who are eligible get to “choose from thousands of books to borrow for free,” Amazon says, including more than 100 current and former New York Times bestsellers.

The limitations here only allow customers to borrow at most one book per month and furthermore are limited to Kindle device owners. For those of you who use an iOS or desktop app to read Kindle books, you will not be eligible for the service. For Kindle owners, there is a plus side to this, there is no due date to return the book, you can keep it “borrowed” for as long as you want. The move seems to be a logical one from Amazon’s standpoint, as it pushes people to purchase Kindle devices over Apple’s iPad instead.

As with the Kindle library lending service that was launched earlier this year, you are given the option to make notes, highlights, and bookmarks in borrowed books, and all that data remains if you later decide to purchase the ebook. The service also lets you borrow and return books directly from your Kindle device.

Apple on the other hand doesn’t seemed to be concerned with the release of the service or Amazon’s upcoming Kindle Fire tablet. Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer believe that the Kindle Fire tablet will only serve to fragment the Google Android platform.

What do you think of the whole ordeal? Should Apple be worried? Let us know your thoughts below!

Source: Amazon, AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nope, Apple shouldn't be worried.
    CUZ THEY DA BOMB!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahler2 View Post
    Nope, Apple shouldn't be worried.
    CUZ THEY DA BOMB!
    Lol.

You never know, this market might boom. Unfortunately for them though, unlike Netflix it isn't offered across a huge range of platforms.

Thanks

$79 a year lending library?

Wow, sign me up!
    2-day shipping for eBooks is simply icing on the cake.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When a company say they are not concerned about something, they are extremely concerned.How can Apple not concerned about Amazon service? 1. Even if you know they are going to suck they are still taking some of your customer away, if you are not concerned about how ever minute the loss is you are a bad manager. Apple is extremely concerned about this, they are only saying they are not to keep customer from getting scared and flock faster to Amazon.2. Amazon has gone around Apple's strict rules by doing HTML5, Amazon can take Apple's customers even if they use iPad. That is quite a bit on loss of sales.I am sure Apple is trying to find a way to combat Amazon with maybe iCloud book services, I wonder when they will catch up.

Thanks

Wow, $79 for a ton of those relevant services sounds like a great perk. Besides, you have to keep in mind not everyone wants/needs an iPad or Galaxy.

I'd like to have a kindle fire myself and be pretty happy with it too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post

Wow, sign me up!
    Read what it says.... It will keep you from sounding like a dope.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow, sign me up!
    Well, its only 39$ per year for students. For the amount I would've spent on shipping for my books I make up the 39$ within two terms. Prime has its perks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a Kindle 2nd gen which I love and an iPad 2 also which I love. I save much more in shipping and taxes per year than the Prime costs me. I also find that ebooks and mp3s are almost always less expensive at amazon than iTunes.

Thanks

Anybody else check out the new theme on cydia for the kindle iPhone'? It is the sickest dreamboard theme I have ever seen. I just bought it this morning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    When a company say they are not concerned about something, they are extremely concerned.How can Apple not concerned about Amazon service? 1. Even if you know they are going to suck they are still taking some of your customer away, if you are not concerned about how ever minute the loss is you are a bad manager. Apple is extremely concerned about this, they are only saying they are not to keep customer from getting scared and flock faster to Amazon.2. Amazon has gone around Apple's strict rules by doing HTML5, Amazon can take Apple's customers even if they use iPad. That is quite a bit on loss of sales.I am sure Apple is trying to find a way to combat Amazon with maybe iCloud book services, I wonder when they will catch up.
    Absolutely they are concerned. They were a nobody 6 years ago in the phone industry. And now they are a major player. You don't think they learned from what they heard companies such as RIM saying back then about how they weren't concerned and that the iPhone would only meet a niche market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus077 View Post
    Read what it says.... It will keep you from sounding like a dope.
    I did.
    it won't.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think this is something that Netflix, Apple (especially iBooks) and Blockbuster's online service should all be concerned about, let's look at it this way:The low end kindle is $79, you can get a tablet for $199.Now, if you add Amazon Prime ($79 per year, which is about equal to $6.58 per month) you get the following:
    • Free 2 Day Shipping or $3.99 1 day shipping on most products on Amazon
    • Unlimited free steaming for tons of movies and TV shows (Amazon just added ABC and Disney, including some of the latest that Netflix lost the rights to)
    • Borrowing Books
    In addition, if you use Amazon's cloud service, you get unlimited storage space for your music (including uploads), if you buy just one Album (any price) for the first year, then just $20 per year to include unlimited space for music and get up to 20GB of data for everything else. You can also steam all of your music with the service, unlike Apple's iCloud. There are limits on the number of songs with iTunes match.By comparison, Netflix will run you $95.88 per year for just streaming video, nothing else. Blockbuster is similar, but they include DVDs and Blurays in the price, but it is slightly higher than just streaming.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, sign me up!
    Either this was failed sarcasm, or you have no idea what amazon prime actually is...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings