+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gamestop Gaming Tablets Live, Billed as 'A New Way to Game'

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Gamestop's gaming tablets went live today with three offerings ranging in price from $329 to $538. The tablets themselves are the Acer iConia Tab A100 ($329), ASUS Eee Pad Transformer
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Gamestop Gaming Tablets Live, Billed as 'A New Way to Game'

Gamestop's gaming tablets went live today with three offerings ranging in price from $329 to $538.

The tablets themselves are the Acer iConia Tab A100 ($329), ASUS Eee Pad Transformer ($399), and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 ($499). All of these tablets house a NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor and 1GB of system memory. What makes these tablets different from their non-Gamestop counterparts is basically nothing.

According to Gamestop "each tablet has been enhanced by GameStop to include 6 free digital games, a Digital Game Informer link and the Kongregate Arcade app!" The games included with the purchase include Deadspace, Sonic CD, Monster Madness, Cordy, Riptide GP, Re-Load. I'm familiar with two of those games. Also, the devices are "Gamestop controller compatible." If users want they can bundle their purchase with a $40 Gamestop tablet gaming controller, which looks eerily similar to a regular controller.

The only way this resembles a new or better way to game is if someone attached the tablet they purchased to the back of a friend who walks in front of them wherever they go. The whole point of tablets and iPhones and iPads is mobile gaming. By marketing a traditional controller as the "go-to" accessory Gamestop is throwing these tablets into the home console market. These devices can in no way compete with the console gaming experience. Someday, via AirPlay Mirroring and major advancements in mobile computing, tablets could possibly compete with home consoles or PCs, but not now.

Even worse, whoever gave the okay to launch the page on Gamestop's site needs to double-check the tech specs for the tablets. Both the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer descriptions list their LCD's as 7-inch screens. They have 10-inch displays. The Acer Iconia A100 has a 7-inch display. Also, in one description the Iconia has 8GB of internal storage, and in another it has 16GB. Which is it?

Gamestop's attempt to hedge their bets against the eventual death of physical media looks sloppy. The day will come when Gamestop can no longer sell used games because we'll all be downloading our content, but this isn't the solution. I suggest Gamestop ride the horse they're on till it dies instead of wasting resources creating a market for something that wasn't selling already.

There is one saving grace though. People interested in an Android tablet have no excuse not to buy one from Gamestop. They get six free games. That's value-added.

Source: Gamestop
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    Hmm. I might be tempted to go and see how these run at my local GameStop. I'm not much of a gamer, but might take my brother with me who loves gaming.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not a gamer, but I wouldn't buy this. This is just an Android Tablet with some free games and $40 Accessory.

Thanks

Sonic CD.Sonic CD.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Will I love games, but can't play bf3 on this so I will stick with my pc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Sonic CD.
    Oh damn, that's a seller right there.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Sonic CD.Sonic CD.
    Sega CD....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Written in typical Swanson Apple fanboi style. mega ultra uber diss for anything non-Apple...
    If Apple was doing this you'd be getting wet all over and hailing it like the biggest thing since sliced bread...

At least they give an option to use a controller if you wish to do so...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Would be nice if i could pick up the control and use it on my Ipad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milenion View Post
    Would be nice if i could pick up the control and use it on my Ipad.
    I'll 2nd that...

Thanks
    The ASUS Transformer is fantastic for gaming I love mine.

Thanks

mega ultra uber diss for anything non-Apple...
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.