+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Schools to Have More iPads Than Computers by 2015

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Within the next four years, the typical school in the United States may have more iPads than computers available to its students. That's according to the findings of a new
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default U.S. Schools to Have More iPads Than Computers by 2015

Within the next four years, the typical school in the United States may have more iPads than computers available to its students. That's according to the findings of a new survey that polled a slate of technology directors in just over two dozen U.S. school districts. At present, each of the districts is already testing the iPad in action within the educational infrastructure.

News of the report comes from prominent iDevice-watcher and market analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, who was quick to point out that none of the school districts contributing to the poll were similarly testing Android-powered tablets. As far as the schools in question are concerned, Apple is the only tablet maker that seems to matter.

"While this may be expected due to limited availability of Android tablets early in the tablet cycle, we also see it as evidence of Apple's first mover advantage," Munster writes. "We also see a trend in education (which is mirrored in the enterprise) that familiarity with Apple devices among students (or employees) is causing a demand pull within institutions to also provide Apple devices."

What would the era of the iPad in academia bring for school children across the U.S. (and, conceivably, around the world)? According to departing Apple retail chief and future JC Penney CEO, Ron Johnson, today's students may very well be the last generation of students with backpacks. Johnson, of course, is hinting that iPads may provide the gateway to digital learning materials like books, videos, and other content that will make today's methods and tools a thing of the past.

Source: Barron's

Thanks

Oh great... in 2020 iPads will be used as a satellite and sent to space! seems to me that this iPad crap is going to far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AppleDummy View Post
    Oh great... in 2020 iPads will be used as a satellite and sent to space! seems to me that this iPad crap is going to far.
    Hahahahaha, i'm imagining the scene when they launch iPads to space

Thanks

No, this makes sense. Right now, schools are using expensive PCs that require constant maintenance and aren't user friendly. However, my brothers two year old who can barely talk can navigate the iPad with ease. iPads can be used to replace school books, computers, paper, just about everything!
    And as far as the many distractions an iPad creates, simply lock them from installing games.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    No, this makes sense. Right now, schools are using expensive PCs that require constant maintenance and aren't user friendly. However, my brothers two year old who can barely talk can navigate the iPad with ease. iPads can be used to replace school books, computers, paper, just about everything!
    And as far as the many distractions an iPad creates, simply lock them from installing games.
    Expensive PCs? The dell units sold to schools cost about half of what an iPad costs... If something goes bad, it is an easy repair. If something goes bad on an iPad, it gets expensive fast, quite probably cheaper to replace altogether.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I soooo want to jailbreak one of those.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Expensive PCs? The dell units sold to schools cost about half of what an iPad costs... If something goes bad, it is an easy repair. If something goes bad on an iPad, it gets expensive fast, quite probably cheaper to replace altogether.
    I am one of the computer techs in a school district and will tell you now that it will never happen. Right now we are piloting a program for netbooks that have digital text books available to them and 5gb of data accessible as well as wifi in the classroom. We pay about $20 per netbook and about $7 per month for the 3g connection. Considering we save a ton on the textbooks and the netbooks them are dirt cheap, there is no way we will ever go with tablets for students.

And if we ever do, it will absolutely be Android since you can get nice android tablets for 200-400 bucks.