Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gamestop to Start Selling 'Specialized' Android Tablets Preloaded With Games

Default Gamestop to Start Selling 'Specialized' Android Tablets Preloaded With Games

Gamestop already has an iPod, iPhone, and iPad trade-in program to help increase game sales, but the company is further hedging their bets in the mobile gaming hemisphere by carrying Android tablets preloaded with games.

Earilier this year Gamestop claimed they were going to bring a Gamestop branded tablet to market, but were unclear which tablet maker they were going to partner with for the hardware. Well it turns out Gamestop is going to partner with three different tablet makers according to the Wall Street Journal.

Asustek, Acer, and Samsung will all reportedly bring their tablet making expertise to Gamestop’s stores with “specialized tablets.” What “specialized” means is still unclear. Could the tablets flex more graphics and processing muscle in an effort to woo developers to create more 'hardcore' game offerings to tablets? Or is it an effort to make sure Gamestop doesn’t completely miss out on the amount of money pouring into mobile gaming outside of traditional handhelds.

Many tablet games offer users a more mainstream experience a la Angry Birds, but as the hardware in tablets and mobile phones has become more powerful, so too have the number of complex games increased. First person shooters, RTSs, RPGs, fighting and racing games, while not outclassing their console or PC counterparts, have started to become viable alternatives and complements.

Gamestop is going as far as to create a controller for tablets, which of course will be sold separately. The free games included with the tablets hasn’t been disclosed either. Color me disappointed if it’s seven difference versions of Angry Birds.

Gamestop isn’t betting the house on this venture, their bread and butter is still consoles. However, if sales figures for the Nintendo 3DS are any indication, the future of mobile gaming isn’t necessarily going to ride on the back of the usual portable suspects. The iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and their competitors could very well be the future of mobile gaming. If this is the case, Gamestop will lose resale revenue from used games, peripherals, and hardware sales. Whether or not Gamestop starts offering iPads pre-loaded with games, or offering a line of iPad gaming peripherals isn’t known.

But, the company is adapting to the times. And in time even the home console market could become a completely digital and very portable entity. Imagine using the iPad 4 to stream Bioshock 5 to your home theatre system via Airplay.

Source: WSJ [via Tech Crunch]

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

They have also started selling all iPod models from the iPod shuffle 1g to the iPod touch 4g

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Hmmm
    May have to take a ride to GameStop see if I can find any deals on em

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

um... what does GameStop selling Android tablets have to do with ANYTHING Apple related? Seriously what's going on with Modmyi...

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    um... what does GameStop selling Android tablets have to do with ANYTHING Apple related? Seriously what's going on with Modmyi...
    If you don't like the article then don't read it or comment it... Dumbbbasssss

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chschuldiner View Post
    um... What does gamestop selling android tablets have to do with anything apple related? Seriously what's going on with modmyi...
    modmyidroid?

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Android android. Everywhere you see Android. I wonder if Android will eventually be able to bought from a vending machine.

I won't be surprised when I see android watches around,

1+

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    Android android. Everywhere you see Android. I wonder if Android will eventually be able to bought from a vending machine.
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not, because that's totally what's going to happen, lol.

This is will be like Coke!!!! prepare yourself...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Android far more than the average reader here at MMI, but this is just dumb. What on earth is the point? "Specialized devices"... what does that even mean? Google needs to give us a decent unified UI. We don't need specialized android gaming devices...

Banned
    Thanks
    yeah ! i believe it ! mobile phones has become more powerful, so too have the number of complex games increased.

gamestop gearing up to push Apple's cyborg nemesis relates to Apple in a backhanded way,
    but there are lots of way it could be relevant.

But the major relevance for the MMi community is that posting articles like this gives us something else to complain about. And having things to complain about is DEFINITELY relevant to the Apple experience!