+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DirecTV App Now Allows Video Streaming On iPad – Doesn't Like Jailbreaks Though

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If you are a DirecTV user and own an iPad, it is time to rejoice! The DirecTV app for the iPad was updated recently and now provides improved features and
    Thanks

Default DirecTV App Now Allows Video Streaming On iPad – Doesn't Like Jailbreaks Though

If you are a DirecTV user and own an iPad, it is time to rejoice! The DirecTV app for the iPad was updated recently and now provides improved features and mainly one important one in particular – the ability to live stream videos from homes to iPads.

Version 1.3.1 of the app (iTunes) allow users to stream 40 channels of content as long as you are on the same network as your DirecTV receiver. CNN, Fox News, National Geographic, and FX are amongst the list of available channels. You are even given the option to watch the video in a window hovering over the guide or watch full screen. Furthermore, If you have a multiple tuner DVR, you can watch one channel on TV and another on the iPad, which can come in quite handy depending on the situation.

There seems to be one caveat involved with the whole ordeal: DirecTV apparently doesn’t like jailbreakers and the app shuts down if it detects that it is being used on a Jailbroken device.

According to a user by the name of KOTUCLN on Twitter, you can fix this issue by changing one check with iFile. Once you do so, you can work around DirecTV’s jailbreak check. It is a bit unexpected for DirecTV to take this stand and we wonder if other companies are going to start to do the same. If so, this might deter some users from jailbreaking or possibly even become an issue of legality in the future.

Have you tried the app? What is your take on this “jailbreak check” DirecTV included in this update? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: DirecTV, Twitter

Update: The fix has been further clarified by fellow MMi user: MrBucket101:

is found within com.directv.mobile.ipad.navigator.production.plist which is located most likely within the app directory, i use applinks in cydia to simplify the process of finding the right folder that belongs to the app

anyways change true to false, problem solved :P
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-26-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    According to a user by the name of KOTUCLN on Twitter, you can fix this issue by changing one check with iFile. Once you do so, you can work around DirecTV’s jailbreak check. It is a bit unexpected for DirecTV to take this stand and we wonder if other companies are going to start to do the same. If so, this might deter some users from jailbreaking or possibly even become an issue of legality in the future.
    What's the concern?

That DirecTV's actions could put the legality of jailbreaking at risk?
    Or that the legality of DirecTV's actions, is itself dubious?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Skype tried that already. Got around that too. But man only iPad no luv for da iPhone/iPod

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    What's the concern?

Jailbreaking IS legal,
    DirecTV doesn't have to like or condone it. They may feel someone could steal content for free maybe? Regardless if this becomes mainstream there will be a "fix" from the mouse or are we the cat? haha
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    Jailbreaking IS legal,
    DirecTV doesn't have to like or condone it. They may feel someone could steal content for free maybe? Regardless if this becomes mainstream there will be a "fix" from the mouse or are we the cat? haha
    Jailbreaking is not illegal. It breaches contract, but is not against any law.

I think you're right as to DTV's reasoning behind the stand.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thumbs up Bahhhh
    I think that's a lame move on DirecTVs part but whatever, well get around - we always do. Power to the user, jailbreak if you'd like. Do it. Waiting patiently for the 4S jailbreak. Hoping it's soon. Blahh.
    Last edited by headstrain0z; 10-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post

Hnever said it was illegal. He clearly stated that it WAS /Legal/. And explained that there shouldn't be a reason for them to dislike jailbroken devices die to this fact.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So what are we supposed to change with iFile?

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post

He never said it was illegal. He clearly stated that it WAS /Legal/. And explained that there shouldn't be a reason for them to dislike jailbroken devices die to this fact.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Help us out ModMyi!
    Quote Originally Posted by canecop View Post
    So what are we supposed to change with iFile?
    I want to know how to alter the iFile also. Is there anyway you can help us out? I tried searching the web and twitter without luck. I couldn't find that dude on Twitter either

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boynamedstacy View Post
    I want to know how to alter the iFile also. Is there anyway you can help us out? I tried searching the web and twitter without luck. I couldn't find that dude on Twitter either
    <key>DTVApplication_Option_JailbreakCheck_Enable d</key>
    <true/>

is found within com.directv.mobile.ipad.navigator.production.plist which is located most likely within the app directory, i use applinks in cydia to simplify the process of finding the right folder that belongs to the app

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh look, it's this again.

Time Warner did this with their app, the package fix in Cydia was called, ahem, "f***TimeWarner".

iBooks did this in 1.2, within hours a package called "hunnypot" was released to counter it (they seem to have removed this unsigned code check in later versions).

It doesn't work, guys.

Banned
    Thanks

Yea, as jailbreaking is legal they cant really do anything about it.They can put up blocks but that just gives us a reason to hack further in to that app.The only reason hackers do what they do is because someone says no.

Thanks

I'm just curious what Akshay meant (if anything).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket101 View Post
    <key>DTVApplication_Option_JailbreakCheck_Enable d</key>
    <true/>

MrBucket101 to the rescue. This is an exact response to some of your questions. Sorry for not clarifying this in the post.

Editing this in - also providing credit where it is due.

I'm just curious what Akshay meant (if anything).
    DirecTV obviously doesn't want users who have jailbroken firmware to use their app. If people are finding a way around it to continue to use it anyway (even when on jailbroken firmware), DirecTV might try to stand up for themselves (legally) saying that these users are doing something that circumvents one of the rules they have created for those who use their app.

The logic I used when writing about the topic was that the "jailbreak check" was part of DirecTV's rules. Those who circumvent the rules, are breaking them, and therefore might be held responsible for doing so. I did use the word possibility to ensure that I covered ground because I am not sure if this will be the case. As mentioned in previous comments, others have given up when it came to this in the past, perhaps DirecTV might do the same in the future.
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-27-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    DirecTV obviously doesn't want users who have jailbroken firmware to use their app. If people are finding a way around it to continue to use it anyway (even when on jailbroken firmware), DirecTV might try to stand up for themselves (legally) saying that these users are doing something that circumvents one of the rules they have created for those who use their app.

The logic I used when writing about the topic was that the "jailbreak check" was part of DirecTV's rules. Those who circumvent the rules, are breaking them, and therefore might be held responsible for doing so. I did use the word possibility to ensure that I covered ground because I am not sure if this will be the case. As mentioned in previous comments, others have given up when it came to this in the past, perhaps DirecTV might do the same in the future.
    Thanks.
    Much appreciated.

I haven't been tracking the winds close enough to tell,
    but it doesn't SEEM like what DirecTV is doing really changes the game much.

Jailbreaking circumvents the DMCA. Yeah. we know.
    Its not necessarily legal, though many people believe it should be.
    the U.S. Library of Congress sent out a memo supporting a special exemption for Jailbreaking,
    on the grounds that it falls within the margin of circumvention necessary for interoperability and intercompatibility with other hardware/software.

Its not perpetual though, and many don't realize this rug could be pulled out from under us at any time. Losing the exemption wouldn't necessarily make it illegal, but would make it a lot riskier and a lot scarier. If DirecTV can show that Jailbreakers are circumventing their DRM protection for the purpose of doing further infringing activity, this could be a really big deal. Otherwise, it would seem to lend credence to JB'ers interoperability argument.

imo

Thanks

Um directtv wont hav any fox networks just a heads up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boynamedstacy View Post
    Here is a How-To guide on locating, and editing the file needed to make the Directv app work!

http://www.interiders.com/2011/10/26/enable-directv-to-work-on-jailbroken-ipad/

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What's the concern?

But it's not just DirecTV doing this either. Cablevision and Time Warner also have Jailbreak checks.

What we need is a mobile substrate add on that foils traditional jailbreak detection from the start.

Who knows what's next? One day when Apple releases IOS 6, heck, the whole OS might have jailbreak detection. After the apple logo and the boot process you might see "IOS is not supported on jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and do a restore". That would nip jailbreaking in the bud to begin with. This is why we need Anti-Jailbreak detection now. Devs need to start coming up with a small process that intercepts checks for JB related files like Cydia.

Apples Developer Kit references some ways you can do Jailbreak Detection. There are a few, with checking for the presence of Cydia as the easiest. Though that is also easy to foil by renaming the Cydia app directory. However that is just the beginning as they can look for other processes or file modifications.

While the DirecTV fix is pretty easy compared to the TWC and Cablevision patches, maybe DirecTV made this a simple toggle in it's plist file just for testing purposes. Who's to say the next version of the compiled app just doesn't have JB detection built in and always on? I just have a feeling that this cat and mouse game got bigger. It's no longer APPLE Vs. the DEV TEAM. It's APP DEVELOPERS and APPLE Vs. the DEV TEAM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
    But it's not just DirecTV doing this either. Cablevision and Time Warner also have Jailbreak checks.

What we need is a mobile substrate add on that foils traditional jailbreak detection from the start.

Who knows what's next? One day when Apple releases IOS 6, heck, the whole OS might have jailbreak detection. After the apple logo and the boot process you might see "IOS is not supported on jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and do a restore". That would nip jailbreaking in the bud to begin with. This is why we need Anti-Jailbreak detection now. Devs need to start coming up with a small process that intercepts checks for JB related files like Cydia.

Apples Developer Kit references some ways you can do Jailbreak Detection. There are a few, with checking for the presence of Cydia as the easiest. Though that is also easy to foil by renaming the Cydia app directory. However that is just the beginning as they can look for other processes or file modifications.

While the DirecTV fix is pretty easy compared to the TWC and Cablevision patches, maybe DirecTV made this a simple toggle in it's plist file just for testing purposes. Who's to say the next version of the compiled app just doesn't have JB detection built in and always on? I just have a feeling that this cat and mouse game got bigger. It's no longer APPLE Vs. the DEV TEAM. It's APP DEVELOPERS and APPLE Vs. the DEV TEAM.

+1 well said.

i also think that we should have some kind of counter jailbreak detection . we saw it with the tethering detection and i guess its still not on our side cause att can still see us use tethering without paying. we see that with the new ios 5 has a LOT of new security and we will have to come up with new fresh jailbreak protection. we have the law on the jb side AS of Now but who knows down the line ..... its been a fun ride and i dont want it to end. we need to be able to block and prevent jailbreak detection on all devices .

jailbreaks will have to just flat out right over power the ios from now on