Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jobs' View On Transforming The School Textbook Business

Thanks

Default Jobs' View On Transforming The School Textbook Business

As more information about Steve Jobs and his plans continue to be revealed from his biography, interesting topics and speculation continue to arise. According to some information revealed by The New York Times, the next market Jobs wanted to explore was the market for school textbooks. This was publicized around the time when the iPad was first released as well but Jobsí biography gives more insight into the matter.

Apparently he held several meetings with major publishers seeking partnership with Apple. Jobsí train of thought was that if textbooks were given away for free on the iPad, publishers might be able to get around the state certification of textbooks, potentially saving a lot of money. It wasnít made clear what the business model of such a plan might look like or how it would work but it is possible that we will see it in action in the future.

Some schools have adopted the use of iPads for the distribution of material but it hasnít been seen widely across the nation just yet. I personally think too many rules and regulations might come into play with the whole ordeal but perhaps giving the option of having more textbooks on the iPad would be appealing to students. I can imagine carrying around an iPad to be much more convenient than multiple textbooks, not to mention the iPad can serve multiple purposes. On the other hand, the chances of getting distracted are much higher as well. Just like most things, the idea has its pros and cons.

What do you think of the whole ordeal? Would you like to see Apple in the school textbook business? Share any thoughts or comments below!

Source: The New York Times

Great idea - for those that can afford iPads.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Can we stop posting every excerpt from the book and call it as news?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Can we stop posting every excerpt from the book and call it as news?
    Agreed. Make one article and just update it. Almost everyone here is gonna be reading the book so no need to go on about extracts from it

The iPad is far too expensive for most schools to be able to afford just a few - let alone one for every child.

A better device for school books would be an e-reader like the kindle. They are cheaper, e-ink provides much better battery life, no glare from light, and less distraction for the kids.

I agree that textbooks are a great idea on iPads but I think the main issues are whether or not schools will own the iPads and distribute them to students. If parents are required to purchase them, there should be an educational discount from Apple for k-12.

no doubt that the ipad is not affordable to everyone, but i think thats what's in the future, the future is to be paperless, good for the envirement, less stuff to carry around, of coure students are gonna like it, as for distrating, lets face it when people are distracted easy doesnt matter is the are holding an ipad or a phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That would be so cool, but only if they bring the school textbook business to iPhone too.

Thanks

I think the price is well worth it. I mean each student now gets 4 to 6 books as a full time student I am not sure how much these books cost but I know college books can run 100+ easily for 1 book that is 400-600 per student as is that would pay for the iPad. Not including the time it could save. Every test could be on the iPad and it could grade most test (or at least the multiple choice test) automatically. Also could save the parents money on paper and pens and stuff. A lot easier to keep organized then multiple notebooks for each class and shuffling through paper after paper. Also you could use the gps on the iPad to keep attendance so if the kids skip class they would know instantly and parents could check up on there kids if they wanted to.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    A single, base model, iPad would cost less than a year's worth of books at almost any school. The key is actually getting a discounted rate on the books, being able to RESELL the digital copies, and not having to buy a new edition every stinking year!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I have all my text books for Paramedics and they weigh a dumb amount but using my ipad isnt the best.. since their are so many diagrams and such to keep up in class using an ipad and being able to type it out after or w/e just doenst work that well.. unless everyone has it but then your talking about changing the way the whole system is.. wahts the point of even getting paper if we have an ipad? the teacher could make something pop up on are ipads or w/e it happends to be. Not to mention you need to have $600 at the least laying around to blow plus the text books..effing 9th edition with nothing different from the 8th or 7th.

Most high schools in the Chicagoland area do not require the purchase of textbooks. Rather, they are the old antiquated books reused year after year.

I think an e reader would be a better idea. -English teacher

A single year's worth of university textbooks costs between $800-$1000 for a full course load. One iPad for the degree sounds like a deal!

Plus primary/secondary school's still have to dish out money for books when new editions come out. Those books at the cheapest are $60 each. Plus with smart classes these days an iPad is just the modern equivalent of purchasing a graphing calculator.

I think it's a great idea. Books for 1 semester can cost as much as a base level iPad. And books get old when the next edition comes out and lose value and purpose.

ive had family who worked in a book depository or whatever you call it for a k-12 county school system and can definitely attest to the fact that an iPad per student is MUCH CHEAPER on the educational system than buying hardcopy, hardcover textbooks. remember that on the k-12 level, there is 4-6 textbooks per student (one for each subject) that is loaned out to them for the school year, as well as 1-2 copies (sometimes even per student) extra on hand by the school for in class use. if you add this amount up that's a LOT of books being bought and used, with no more sources of money to be made on that (these books are not resold, bought, or "rented"). these books aren't sold very cheaply to the school systems either.now, on the college level, we pay 100-300$ per book, and only use it for a semester or course of study and then keep in on the shelf or resell it for much less.both ways, this is a win-win. it would be easy to keep an ipad from getting anyone distracted, simply by disabling the use of itunes, appstore, safari, or any sort of in-app link to these sorts of programs. along with over-the-air updates as far as more books, pdfs, docs, etc this is extremely viable.pair this info with the knowledge of iPad's ease of use for everyone from toddlers up through elderly, even kids with autism, then i'd say steve jobs was onto something marvelous here.

I guess over the next week we'll be learning Steve Jobs opinion on everything down to Real Madrid-Barcelona

Slow news day
    (null)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would still prefer a real textbook over an "e-textbook". Real ones make it much easier to take notes and highlight whatever you want.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

There's at least a couple of high school here in FL that are part of a test on this theory. Lots of things are going paperless not the mention being able to update the textbook electronically versus having to publish a new edition for maybe a page worth of changes/update. Very advantageous. Maybe give students an option to purchase at the end of school year at a discounted rate, and therefore student might take better care of it throughout the year.

Boots, I thought the iPads ability to organize highlighted text and bookmarks and index them separately with the book was a major selling point actually. It's a feature most of my friends gawk at. Also being able to search a textbook by keyword and finding it instantly is an incredible reason to prefer an iPad over a physical textbook. Let alone weight (my cousin carried a backpack that weighed like 50 pounds). I haven't heard anything about this biography that really interests me yet but this idea of his is incredible and it's something I've been saying since getting one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast