Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Media's Initial Response to Original iPad Unveiling Left Jobs Depressed

Default Media's Initial Response to Original iPad Unveiling Left Jobs Depressed

The amount of information held within Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs apparently is astounding. Another portion of the biography leaked detailing how Jobs personally handled the negative backlash against the iPad immediately after its unveiling.

For those who don't remember, the iPad faced unmatched hype, coverage, and speculation leading up to the devices unveiling. Not since the iPhone had something been so eagerly anticipated. It seemed, to those that cared, to those that followed the rumor mill day in and day out, the only outcome after the announcement for them, was disappointment. And they were. Negativity seeped out of nearly every iPad article written, lamenting that the device was merely a giant iPod with no Flash support. Apple Insider does a great job highlighting a number of the negative comments journalists and the blogging community lobbed at Jobs and his creation.

However, David Pogue of the New York Times most likely had the most accurate commentary on the device.

"That [criticism] will last until the iPad actually goes on sale in April. Then, if history is any guide, Phase 3 will begin: positive reviews, people lining up to buy the thing, and the mysterious disappearance of the basher-bloggers." Pogue
    Ultimately Pogue would be right, and Apple would have another market-defining product on their hands. But, Jobs confided in Isaacson that the night of the iPad launch, after he took in all the day's comments and coverage "I kind of got depressed today. It knocks you back a bit."

It says something when a man as powerful as Jobs, as successful, and seemingly above it all, is still taken back by the disdain for one of his creations. Perhaps that's why Jobs and Apple have been so successful. Jobs wants everyone to love his products as much as he does. And when they didn't share his love, at least initially, it hurt Jobs. But, it also makes Apple's tight-lipped Fort Knox like security measures understandable. Only when a product is truly ready is it unveiled. This helps Apple avoid the outside criticism from the media that is oh-so obsessed. It prevents Apple from changing the plan, from doubting themselves, and whether or not that is good, bad, or something else can only be decided by looking at Apple's success.

Apparently it has been great.

Source: Apple Insider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 10-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.

can't wait for the biography

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttle13 View Post
    you and me both

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psp257 View Post
    you and me both
    I'm buying the iBook and reading it on my iPhone. Can't think of a better way to honor Steve's memory.

I am with u. But soon enough some android fan boy will say something like "that's cuz it sucks," or something to that extent to ruin the fact that Jobs, no matter how rich was an artist with his work and really wanted people to approve of his work. He did a great job, so in advance I say: don't do it android boys/girls.

It's gonna be a great read, just so sad it had to take his death. For us to learn so much about him, and how he ticked.

this will def be a good read

I want to read this book, i will buy it because Steve was a visionary, a genius and a great mind

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I thought to myself, I should buy and iPad and get the iBook on it. So I did. I regret not getting my iPad 2 sooner
    pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Ttle13 View Post
    My amazon preorder is all set for the hard cover. Ironic I supose that I type this reply on a iPad 2 but ordered this book as a hard cover. I keep not wanting to read all these tidbits from the book before I get my hands on it but just can't help stop my curiosity.

I'm going to download the iBook on my iPad 2. That does so much more than an iPad. And I'm glad it dosnt have flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I'm buying the iBook and reading it on my iPhone. Can't think of a better way to honor Steve's memory.
    Too true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickpeq View Post
    I'm going to download the iBook on my iPad 2. That does so much more than an iPad. And I'm glad it dosnt have flash.
    And who needs flash?? It's a dying plugin and almost every site I use that had used flash has either dropped flash or made it iPhone friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    It's gonna be a great read, just so sad it had to take his death. For us to learn so much about him, and how he ticked.
    He didn't have to die to share this. He agreed to let Isaacson interview him.

Can you guys start putting spoiler alerts? I don't want to miss the news, but I don't what to read portions of the book either.

Depressed because some didn't like the iPad? Wow..... oh well. I think his book will really show us how psycho he was in some aspects of his life. I know he did lots of good things but seems to me from some of these out takes the guy was an egomaniac with a god complex.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    And who needs flash?? It's a dying plugin and almost every site I use that had used flash has either dropped flash or made it iPhone friendly!
    I would like the option of having flash on the iDevice of my choice however his ego got in the way of that. Do I need it, no. Would it be nice to be able to turn it on and off at MY choosing, yes.
    Last edited by rkswat; 10-22-2011 at 06:41 AM.

If you want Flash get Android. We buy iOS devices because they work. Apple know that which is why they wont let anything like Flash near it.

Nearly everyone thought the iPad would be a flop - they couldn't see the point of a 'large iPod Touch' - myself included.

That's because none of us have the vision that Steve Jobs did - a truly great man.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    You really want a great way to honor Steve's memory? I'll tell you how,

1. Go buy the new 64gb version of the iPhone 4S in white with the dock and bumper.
    2. On your new 12 core Mac Pro, use the magic trackpad and apple wireless keyboard to download and install iOS 5 from iTunes onto your iPad 2, prop up the smart cover too.
    3. Upgrade your MobileMe account to iCloud and purchase 100gb of cloud storage. Put the lanyard you stole from the Apple store around your neck.
    4. Download iBooks from the App store onto your new iPhone 4S and search for the Steve Jobs Bio. Go ahead and get it, it's only $49 (very cheap). By now you should start feeling warm and fuzzy.
    5. Sync your iPhone 4S to the iCloud and back it wirelessly via airport express.
    6. Open iBooks on your new iPad and stream a mirrored image of the Bio onto the Apple TV sitting next to your Apple HDTV (since your waiting for the tv pre-order, just put an apple sticker over the LG logo on your old TV).
    7. Round up all the other Apple products you have (iPod, remote, battery charger, time capsule, lion dongle, etc.) and put them around the TV like a shrine.
    8. Chant the following while reading the bio "Apple, Apple, Apple" until you see Steve Jobs's reflection of the TV.

That is how you honor Steve Jobs memory!?!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally still feel this thing is a waste of money. And yes, before people bash me with "you must have never used it", we do have one... Obviously a lot of people enjoy their iPads. That doesn't make them any more right than it makes me. I too would be happier with flash, I think, but not by much. We'll see when a decent version of CM7 hits the touchpad I bought on fire sale. For now, I prefer my macbook air over all else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I personally still feel this thing is a waste of money. And yes, before people bash me with "you must have never used it", we do have one... Obviously a lot of people enjoy their iPads. That doesn't make them any more right than it makes me. I too would be happier with flash, I think, but not by much. We'll see when a decent version of CM7 hits the touchpad I bought on fire sale. For now, I prefer my macbook air over all else.
    And there is nothing wrong with expressing that. People have uses for things that others don't. I prefer my iPhone 4 over all else.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

We're very lucky that Issacson started writing a book on Steve's life and that Jobs himself agreed to be a part of it. The book is going to be like nothing else we've ever read about SJ, I'm very excited!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast