+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flaw: Override iPad 2 Passcode

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Simplicity at its finest. Technology will be defeated by a rock. iOS 5 is a very secure operating system. Everything is controlled within its own environment, complete with sandboxing and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Flaw: Override iPad 2 Passcode

Simplicity at its finest. Technology will be defeated by a rock.

iOS 5 is a very secure operating system. Everything is controlled within its own environment, complete with sandboxing and passcodes. But, what happens when someone has the ability to get around your passcode and have access to your whole device and anything on it? The iPad 2 has a security flaw in iOS 5. The flaw allows anyone with a magnet or a smart cover to get to the iPad 2's springboard without having to input a passcode. It's a rumor that this flaw works in iOS 4.3 too, but as of late we know for sure that it affects iOS 5 users.

There is a catch to this flaw. While the user will gain access to your springboard, they're not quite able to access everything. They will only be able to open the app that you had open last. The other apps that they attempt to open by tapping on them will refuse to open by just doing nothing when the icon is tapped. What this means is, when you lock your iPad while in Safari, for example, using this little trick means that the unauthorized accessor of your iPad 2 will only be able to use Safari until the real user enters the passcode again. Below is a video of how the little flaw is exploited using an iPad 2 and a smart cover:

For those who have trouble loading the video, here are the steps to exploit an iPad 2 locked with a passcode:
    • Lock a passcode protected iPad 2.
    • Hold down the power button until the 'slide to power off' slider appears on the screen.
    • Close the Smart Cover.
    • Open the Smart Cover.
    • Tap the cancel button on the bottom of the screen.

Those of you rocking an iPad 2 can protect yourselves. This exploit will not work if the smart cover option in the Settings app is disabled. To disable it, go into Settings>General>Smart Cover unlocking. This will keep the iPad 2 from recognizing the magnetic pull of a magnet or a smart cover, and therefore eliminate the bug until it is fixed. Until then, stay safe!

Are you gonna try this on your friend's iPad 2 to show off? Share a comment below!

Sources: 9to5Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

How do people find these.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Randomly, most likely. The best inventions out there were discovered purely out of coincidence or accident.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    Randomly, most likely. The best inventions out there were discovered purely out of coincidence or accident.
    So the iPhone was an accident?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm. I wonder if this imminent patch will delay the A5 jailbreak?

No biggie if it does. I'm loving my iPad 2 and 4s combo, stock!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Tim View Post
    The cause of human race technology advancing to this point is pure coincidents..haha that made me laugh

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

wait... so doesn't the owner of the iPad have to contribute to this??... i never try to turn it off... for starters... i usually use smart cover to sleep wake iPad... not the button..... and I do not usually close my iPad without exiting whatever app I'm in first.... ohhh and my password doesn't kick in for a minute. i tried it and when i closed the cover the light never went out... it just stayed in slide to turn off mode... but it does do that... crazy
    Last edited by iSteed; 10-21-2011 at 01:22 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ahhh omg this a very dangerous unlock..not!!! Don't get me wrong, its bad and its something that an be fixed its not like the GSII where you have complete access to the device people get over it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    People who want to get into someone else's iPad lol they start
    Messing with it
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    The cause of human race technology advancing to this point is pure coincidents..haha that made me laugh
    Well, it was by pure chance that those spacecraft crashed into the US desert back in the 1950s. Getting all of this technology off of them has been a slow process...partly because the scientists didn't understand much of it, and partly because a slow release of new ideas would make it seem more believable that humans came up with this stuff. End of koo-koo talk.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Actually it was of some sort.

Steve Jobs told Walt Mossberg that they did not even originally planned for a phone. The iPad was the earlier idea. Steve Jobs only thought of making a phone after the developers showed him an early version of inertial scrolling and other multi-touch technologies that were originally developed for the early idea of the iPad - it wasn't always planned.

Thanks
    Default Dumb
    Yes, and by the same "logic", sky is blue, water is blue so, clearly, sky is water. You're SO smart!

Thanks

I just tried, it doesn't work on 4.3.3. If you already have it unlocked then hold the power button then close the smart cover it won't ask for the passcode when you open it, but the screen doesn't go off when you close the smart cover either. Good to know though.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

No, but the iPhone wouldn't even make it on the top 1,000 most important human discoveries. It's a great device, but that's not what the person you are responding to is saying.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I love that the guy in the video calls it a major security flaw, when really it's not that big of a deal. Just a random little bug that allows you to view the springboard without the passcode....nothing huge. I think its a pretty funny random bug

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

If the iPad 2 was Jailbroken and someone did this trick, would you then be able to gain ROOT access via iPhoneExplorer, CyberDuck, etc.?

Just curious...

BTW, I know there is not an iOS 5 jailbreak for iPad 2...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    If the iPad 2 was Jailbroken and someone did this trick, would you then be able to gain ROOT access via iPhoneExplorer, CyberDuck, etc.?

Just curious...

BTW, I know there is not an iOS 5 jailbreak for iPad 2...
    No because it only grants access to the app that was opened last when the iPad was locked.

Thanks

So this does not work with iPad 1?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabaks View Post
    Yes, and by the same "logic", sky is blue, water is blue so, clearly, sky is water. You're SO smart!
    water isn't blue... just saying.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk View Post
    water isn't blue... just saying.....
    touché, touché