+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Sampling 7.85" LCDs for iPad Mini

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The iPad Mini rumors are heating up again with Taiwan’s United Daily News reporting Apple has received samples of 7.85” screens from AU Optronics and LG Display. The displays themselves
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly Sampling 7.85" LCDs for iPad Mini

The iPad Mini rumors are heating up again with Taiwan’s United Daily News reporting Apple has received samples of 7.85” screens from AU Optronics and LG Display.

The displays themselves retain the same 1024x768 resolution as the current iPad, and would reportedly be used in an iPad mini poised for release early next year. Maintaining the screen resolution would benefit developers as applications could run natively across both platforms without any tweaking, but the interfaces would be considerably more cramped.

Rumors of a 7” Apple Tablet have surfaced before, but Apple’s history hasn’t been friendly to the rumors. Jobs has panned 7” tablets from competitors, claiming that 10” is the minimum screen size for a tablet to remain useful. Amazon’s foray into the tablet market ignores this criticism, but also has a $199 price tag to flaunt.

Apple has been reluctant to change the size of its iDevices screens. The iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad have all maintained the same screen size through their many iterations while competitors have released devices in each category with wildly different screen sizes, with most phones increasing in size. Samsung’s latest Galaxy S ll is 4.3” and recently leaked documents show the Galaxy Nexus will have a whopping 4.65” screen. These larger screens are treading into tablet territory.

Apple’s “Mini iPad” according to Ticonderoga Securities Analyst Brian White might not be in reference to screen size, but solely price.

Regarding Apple, our research is pointing to the unveiling of a lower priced iPad in the first few months of 2012 that is aimed at expanding the company’s market potential by tapping into a more price sensitive consumer segment. Essentially, this “iPad mini” will also fend off the recently announced Amazon Kindle Fire that addresses the low-end tablet market with a $199 price tag but could lead to bigger tablet ambitions from the online retailer in the future. The "mini" refers to a reduced price point of this iPad and not necessarily the size of the device. We believe this lower priced iPad could be priced in the mid-to-high-$200 range. — White
    But, if history is any indicator analysts and Apple enthusiasts alike have a horrible reputation when it comes to successfully predicting the company’s future products. The prospect of an iPad Mini, while enticing, still seems highly unlikely.

Source: UnWiredView [via MacRumors]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 10-18-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,810 Times in 844 Posts

Maybe it's for the iPhone 5! Let the rumors begin, LOL!

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

What ever happened to "smaller tablets are DOA"?

IPad Competition Is 'DOA, Dead On Arrival,' Steve Jobs Says | Fox News

What's Jailbreak? Nintendo Fingers's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Maybe it's for the iPhone 5! Let the rumors begin, LOL!
    Could you imagine talking with a 7in screen on your face and your cheek begins to sweat from talking too long! lmao

Thanks

A small iPad is a fail.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How is the Nexus's 4.65" display heading into tablet territory? The screen has a longer aspect ratio because the buttons will be on-screen. It's only 0.04" wider than a 4.3" WVGA display. If you want a comparison, stack about 10 sheets of paper and that's how much wider it is.

BTW, if the entire front of the iPhone 4(S) was the display, it would be just over 5". Does that look like it would make a good tablet to you?

I don't know about you, but a 4.65" 720p display is way too small to be a tablet.
    Last edited by Channan; 10-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

I hope the ipad does not get smaller... i hate those weird shaped android tablets, this would ruin the ipad for me. I'd stop with the ipad 2, although it makes perfect sense for them to put smaller screen if they were going for a retina display. Cheaper displays..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    I hope the ipad does not get smaller... i hate those weird shaped android tablets, this would ruin the ipad for me. I'd stop with the ipad 2, although it makes perfect sense for them to put smaller screen if they were going for a retina display. Cheaper displays..
    Remember Steve died they will do whatever the hell they want now 

Thanks

^we will definitely see if They can keep up the pace.

What's Jailbreak? BriannaFortune's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

The iPad Mini rumors are heating up again with Taiwan’s United Daily News reporting Apple has received samples of 7.85” screens from AU Optronics and LG Display.

The displays themselves retain the same 1024x768 resolution as the current iPad, and would reportedly be used in an iPad mini poised for release early next year. Maintaining the screen resolution would benefit developers as applications could run natively across both platforms without any tweaking, but the interfaces would be considerably more cramped.

Rumors of a 7” Apple Tablet have surfaced before, but Apple’s history hasn’t been friendly to the rumors. Jobs has panned 7” tablets from competitors, claiming that 10” is the minimum screen size for a tablet to remain useful. Amazon’s foray into the tablet market ignores this criticism, but also has a $199 price tag to flaunt.

Apple has been reluctant to change the size of its iDevices screens. The iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad have all maintained the same screen size through their many iterations while competitors have released devices in each category with wildly different screen sizes, with most phones increasing in size. Samsung’s latest Galaxy S ll is 4.3” and recently leaked documents show the Galaxy Nexus will have a whopping 4.65” screen. These larger screens are treading into tablet territory.

Apple’s “Mini iPad” according to Ticonderoga Securities Analyst Brian White might not be in reference to screen size, but solely price.

But, if history is any indicator analysts and Apple enthusiasts alike have a horrible reputation when it comes to successfully predicting the company’s future products. The prospect of an iPad Mini, while enticing, still seems highly unlikely.

Source: UnWiredView [via MacRumors]

Of course, this depends to a large extent on your eyesight and the size of text that you're comfortable reading. For me, the 7.9 screen beats the 7-inch screen. Though, overall, I still prefer a 10-inch tablet for web browsing. Whether that changes after a few more weeks with the iPad mini, time will tell.

check this blog from nerd techie which shows the comparison of apple ipad mini and nexus 7:
    http://nerdtechie.com/apple-ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7/

Hope this helps too.