Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Component Suppliers Say 'iPad mini' Coming in 2012

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Component Suppliers Say 'iPad mini' Coming in 2012

Much like the broad tablet community, Apple has for months anticipated the arrival of Amazon's iPad-competitor - the $199 Kindle Fire. But according to the revelations from Apple's component suppliers in the far east, Apple is planning its answer to he Kindle Fire in early 2012 in the form of a smaller, more cost-efficient version of the iPad.

Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White confirms the chatter, saying that his recent tours of China and Taiwan have yielded information suggesting that an "iPad mini" will reach consumers next year. He was quick to warn, however, that the "mini" moniker should not be interpreted to mean that Apple will drastically reduce the iPad's screen size for this model. Instead, the goal of the "iPad mini" will be to grow the Apple tablet community from a lower entry-level price point.

The Amazon Kindle Fire has a screen size of 7 inches, while the iPad currently sports a 9.7-inch display.

"We believe this lower priced iPad could be priced in the mid-to-high-$200 range," White shared with investors Wednesday. "We expect this will be followed by a much more powerful, feature rich standard-priced iPad 3 in (the second quarter of 2012)."

It should be noted, however, that rumors of an "iPad mini" have persisted since the original iPad was first unveiled in January 2010. So far, we haven't seen it. What's more, we were also left hanging by the mythical low-end iPhone 4 model - something many expected to see at last week's iPhone 4S unveiling. So, given the spotty history of product predictions out of the supply chain, any talk of an "iPad mini" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Source: Business Insider

The have an iPad mini already.....Its called the iPhone -_____-

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Not gonna happen.

Yeah I think it's stupid. Let me ask these questions. Isnt the reason the kindle has a tablet is to compete with the iPad? Then why would the iPad turn around to compete with the kindle? Doesn't make any sense. Don't remake an iPad due to every competitor that comes out. I'm gonna say this is false for now

Quote Originally Posted by Moeblacksmith View Post
    He said that mini doesn't necessarily mean smaller, just cheaper.

Please no more rumors, most of the time they turn out to be false at the end. -__-
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Agreed.

All that apple gotta do is make an iPhone with a bigger display.

Thanks

Haha iPad mini sounds like apple is running out of ideas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well I just recently saw an HTC tablet that was smaller than the standard tablet size and thought it was silly. But the price tag on an iPad (even the refurbed 1st gen) is way out of my affordable range. I wanted to buy one for my dad as a Christmas gift bc he and my mom currently share an iPhone and he's getting old so the iPod Touch/iPhone screen is IMO too small for his vision. So if there really is going to be another iDevice that's a tad larger but cheaper than an iPad/iPad 2 then I would purchase it as a gift.

That is a really dumb report! There is nothing in Apple's history that would indicate they would do something like that. Also why does apple need to make something smaller to compete with the Kindle Fire? Really? I think the iPad is blowing away its competitors and price does not seem to affect its sales. Just another dumb rumor about how apple will make something smaller and cheaper. Sorry but Apple does not have that kind of reputation.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Please no more rumors, most of the time they turn out to be false at the end. -__-
    Except the dozen or so rumors that were dead right about the internal components of the iphone 4S and the several sources that said the next iPhone would be identical to the iPhone 4. All the rumors about an iPhone 5 had the same source... the bogus case leak.. everything else for the most part turned out to be true. We just didn't want to believe it lol.

Thanks

Much like the broad tablet community, Apple has for months anticipated the arrival of Amazon's iPad-competitor - the $199 Kindle Fire. But according to the revelations from Apple's component suppliers in the far east, Apple is planning its answer to he Kindle Fire in early 2012 in the form of a smaller, more cost-efficient version of the iPad.

Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White confirms the chatter, saying that his recent tours of China and Taiwan have yielded information suggesting that an "iPad mini" will reach consumers next year. He was quick to warn, however, that the "mini" moniker should not be interpreted to mean that Apple will drastically reduce the iPad's screen size for this model. Instead, the goal of the "iPad mini" will be to grow the Apple tablet community from a lower entry-level price point.

The Amazon Kindle Fire has a screen size of 7 inches, while the iPad currently sports a 9.7-inch display.

"We believe this lower priced iPad could be priced in the mid-to-high-$200 range," White shared with investors Wednesday. "We expect this will be followed by a much more powerful, feature rich standard-priced iPad 3 in (the second quarter of 2012)."

It should be noted, however, that rumors of an "iPad mini" have persisted since the original iPad was first unveiled in January 2010. So far, we haven't seen it. What's more, we were also left hanging by the mythical low-end iPhone 4 model - something many expected to see at last week's iPhone 4S unveiling. So, given the spotty history of product predictions out of the supply chain, any talk of an "iPad mini" should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Or iPod Huge.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL, exactly. Especially the 4S

This story is complete hog wash. I have a some snake oil to sell too! Never going to happen.

Thanks

After the while iPhone 5 rumor fail. Ive given all up on any rumors concerns iphones

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.You're not following my guidelines on how to write articles where "analysts" are the source...tsk tsk

"and the several sources that said the next iPhone would be identical to the iPhone 4" And they said it would be a cheaper version in the same sentence, so no, they were still wrong.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Would be great if they made the mini so others could afford something like the ipad however I would never buy one... I love the size of the iPad

/thread

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't possibly imagine Apple cutting enough corners to slash the price to less than half, ESPECIALLY if they plan on keeping the screen size. Apple doesn't ship junk. I can see maybe offering an iPad 2 model with 8gb of storage for less money once the iPad 3 comes out. But $200? They cost more to make.

Wait, didn't I hear a rumor about an iPod Touch Jumbo?
    Last edited by TheDirtyDiddler; 10-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast