+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Leads In Total User Base Thanks To iPad According to New comScore Report

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default iOS Leads In Total User Base Thanks To iPad According to New comScore Report

Research firm comScore released a new report, which indicated that iOS is the leading platform for connected devices based on actual installed base and digital traffic. Many believed that Android was ahead and it is when it comes to smartphone numbers but with all “connected devices” including tablets, Apple win thanks to the iPad’s dominance in the tablet market. An interesting figure mentioned in the press release includes the following:

iPads dominate among tablets in driving digital traffic. In August 2011, iPads delivered 97.2 percent of all tablet traffic in the U.S. iPads have also begun to account for a higher share of Internet traffic than iPhones (46.8 percent vs. 42.6 percent of all iOS device traffic).
    Talk about complete dominance of the tablet market, 97.2 percent of all tablet traffic in the US is pretty astounding. It’s easy to see why all many manufacturers just compare their products to Apple’s or try to imitate it’s features whether they are software or hardware(ahem Samsung). When it comes to the US smartphone market, Android leads with a 43.7 percent market share but when you factor tablets into the mix, Apple’s iOS platform takes the lead with 43.1 percent followed by Android at 34.1 percent and RIM’s Blackberry at 15.4 percent. The other platforms combined consist of the remaining 7.8 percent. Furthermore, when it comes to non-computer internet traffic in the US measured by browser-based page views, the iOS platform is in the lead with a large gap having 58.5 percent market share, followed by Android with 31.9 percent, Blackberry with 5 percent, and the remaining platforms with 4.6 percent.

Picture courtesy of FoneArena

Results like these are probably what some of you were looking for after the previous comScore report that was released. I personally was shocked to see that the tablet internet traffic is 97.2 percent driven by the iPad. I felt that other tablets weren’t as smooth, fluid, or easy to use but other tablets comprise of 2.8 percent, WHAT?! When it comes to iOS platform dominance, I wasn’t surprised and I can see where Android still leads in the smartphone marketshare considering there are more Android devices then I can name off the top of my head.

How do you feel about the numbers and statistics? Did anyone else laugh at the image of Samsung imitating Apple? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: comScore

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol when I saw a samsung cable at a Verizon store I tried plugging it into an iPad thinking that it looked the same so it might fit...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way