+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Get a Tablet Experience With Windows 8 on Your iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Disclaimer: This will not install Windows 8 on your iPad. It will imitate a tablet experience using a VNC connection. Windows 8 is currently in Developer Preview stages. It is
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Get a Tablet Experience With Windows 8 on Your iPad

Disclaimer: This will not install Windows 8 on your iPad. It will imitate a tablet experience using a VNC connection.

Windows 8 is currently in Developer Preview stages. It is not recommended that you install it over your Windows 7 (or possibly older) operating system to try this. It is recommended that you create a separate test partition on your hard drive.

Windows 8 is certainly getting a heap of interest from people all over the place. It was downloaded half a million times in the first day it was released. If you have tried it on your desktop or laptop, you might be thinking, "this doesn't feel right." Many of the trial users who tried it in the first few hours after its initial release thought that it was going in the direction of tablets, and that a keyboard and mouse just aren't the right tools to use to navigate throughout Windows 8. If you are one of those people - here is a little how-to guide to get a 'somewhat' accurate feel for what Windows 8 might feel like on a tablet.

You will need:
    1. An iPad, or an iPad 2.
    2. Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    3. A computer running Windows 8 Developer Preview.
    4. Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad.
    5. Splashtop Streamer installed on your Windows 8 machine.

You will begin by installing Windows 8 Developer Preview on your machine. This can be done by partition or by virtual machine. I suggest virtual machine because it's easier to set up and can be deleted much more quickly if you are not happy with it. VMware Workstation is a good desktop virtualization program to use, there is a free trial on the site. Once you have Windows 8 installed you can move on to the next step.

On your iPad, download the Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad app from the App Store. For a short time it is only $2.99, soon it will become $19.99 again so I would try this soon. Once this is done, move on to the next step.

On your Windows 8 machine, install the Splashtop Steamer application. Set it up and give it a password for security.

Now launch the Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad app on your iPad and select your Windows 8 machine. Now you will be able to have a touch-based experience on Windows 8. Granted that this is a VNC connection, it may be slightly slow or laggy depending on your internet connection. Another thing to keep in mind is that you are using your iPad as a remote control; you do not actually have Windows 8 on your device. In layman's terms, this is only a demo.

You can expect all of Windows 8's tablet gestures to work with this VNC. If you are running Windows 8 as a virtual machine your experience may be choppier due to the laggy nature of virtual machines. If you chose to install it as a separate partition on your hard drive, the loading of gestures and opening of programs will be much smoother.

If you plan on trying this, or if you already have, leave a comment below about what you think about the Windows 8 tablet experience!

Sources: Microsoft, Splashtop, WMware
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-01-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Very neat, but where are you getting this pricing for Splashtop? It's only $2.99...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Very neat, but where are you getting this pricing for Splashtop? It's only $2.99...
    Woops, thank you for the catch! Fixed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Must admit, it runs pretty good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Woops, thank you for the catch! Fixed.
    Still says $4.99 here. Also, aren't there numerous free VNC/Virtual Desktop apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Still says $4.99 here. Also, aren't there numerous free VNC/Virtual Desktop apps?
    I can only edit the forum version; not the feed version. Also, yes, but not all of them will work with Windows 8's tablet gestures. This VNC client is recommended for trying those.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

For those who don't want to pay much to do this can install 8 in VirtualBox, then change the virtual machine settings to enable the remote display feature. Then buy Mocha RDP from the App Store, enter your computer's IP into the app and connect. You'll want to hit the lock button at the bottom of your screen to allow you to use touch gestures.

And if you have a 3G iPad, you might want to set up port forwarding in your modem and change your Mocha RDP settings to use your external IP so you can access 8 from anywhere

(Side note: You can use the free version of Mocha RDP, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the lock function.)
    Last edited by thekirbylover; 10-01-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: My line breaks disappeared

Thanks

would it work with an iPhone?

Thanks

Fantastic, now for people to actually install it on the ipad...Has anyone been working on openiboot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    From what I have gathered, no.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what version of vmware do i need to use? i only own version 3... does it require the newest version? i don't want to buy it just to ry out... every time i try to run it, i get error message... something i am not able to decipher...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maaaslo View Post
    what version of vmware do i need to use? i only own version 3... does it require the newest version? i don't want to buy it just to ry out... every time i try to run it, i get error message... something i am not able to decipher...
    It is a super new version of Windows - you would probably want the latest version of VMware in order to ensure that you have the best support for it. I haven't personally tried this, best of luck!

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    Not sure about the Splashtop app, but Mocha RDP and VNC work on all iDevices.
    Just don't try to make your screen resolution the size of the iPhone screen, because 8 needs at least a 1024x768px screen.