+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst: Kindle Fire To Attract Different User Than The iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On Wednesday, online retail giant Amazon aimed to set the tablet market on 'Fire' with the long-anticipated announcement of the company's branded tablet dubbed the Kindle Fire. As MMi reported
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Analyst: Kindle Fire To Attract Different User Than The iPad

On Wednesday, online retail giant Amazon aimed to set the tablet market on 'Fire' with the long-anticipated announcement of the company's branded tablet dubbed the Kindle Fire. As MMi reported Wednesday morning, the Kindle Fire is an Android-powered tablet that undercuts the majority of competing tablets with its introductory price of $199.

"We're building premium products at non-premium prices," Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said as the new Amazon tablet was introduced. But Amazon stands poised to attract a different type of tablet user than the typical iPad owner. At least that's according Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities who asserts that the Kindle Fire model reaches a market different from "the market that Apple is addressing."

So whom is White referring to in this non-Apple market? "Essentially," White argues, "we believe the Kindle Fire addresses a different market than the iPad 2, a tablet-light user on a tight budget that may not have yet purchased a tablet or already use a Kindle."

"We find the 7-inch screen too small for a tablet device as Steve Jobs has previously highlighted, while the lack of a 3G connection will keep consumers confined to a Wi-Fi world," White concludes. "We believe Apple's long history as both a hardware and software company will continue to drive greater technological innovation in the tablet market versus Amazon. Also, the aesthetics of the Kindle Fire seem tired to us and clearly pale in comparison with the iPad 2."

Do you think White is correct? Or just might the Kindle Fire extinguish the iPad's dominance, even if only to a small degree?

Source: ComputerWorld

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think this product will probably do better than the rest of the android tablets out there, but for me, I would rather throw down the extra cash on a iPad 2 if im investing in a tablet to fullfill my needs.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It may grab a large user base from people upgrading from regular Kindle to Kindle Fire. I think it has the potential to be very successful. The market is big enough for several Tablets to succeed.

Thanks

Amazon have done well - it is aimed at the lower end of the market and priced accordingly.

Thanks

Of course it attracts different users, it attracts users not smart enough to get an iPad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Of course it attracts different users, it attracts users not smart enough to get an iPad
    Or it attracts people that don't want to spend the price of an iPad because they don't want all those things. Like my mother who realy just wants a ebook reader but wouldn't mind it to do just a tiny bit more than that. And this price is low enough she may actually get it. Or she may get the 79 or 99 kindle.

Sometimes it is just about the money, not the knowledge. Honestly your statement is trying to insult people because they don't want to shell out for 499$ item and calling them "stupid".
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually, I can see this becoming huge in the engineering world. At this price point, my company may consider buying one and using AutoCAD WS (available on Android) to do field markups. We will see how this works out in the long run.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Actually, I can see this becoming huge in the engineering world. At this price point, my company may consider buying one and using AutoCAD WS (available on Android) to do field markups. We will see how this works out in the long run.

Interesting... Didn't no android offered autoCAD. That's pretty badass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    Interesting... Didn't no android offered autoCAD. That's pretty badass.
    Yep
    AutoCAD WS - Web and Mobile Application for AutoCAD - Autodesk

Thanks

Oh but see it's also offered in the AppStore.... Learn something new everyday.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

In my opinion the UI looks way better than any other tablet I've seen. It's not just plain apps in a grid, it's more luxurious. And for people who compare it to an iPad, it's not trying to be an iPad, it's just a suped up ebook reader.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

My sister wants a iPad so bad its not funny! I told her about this today... I would hate for her to spend the money on a kindle when she could have something like this!