+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Updates Kindle, Positions Entire Lineup of Devices Under $200

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Amazon, in addition to announcing their new-new tablet the Fire, updated their ‘old’ line of Kindle e-Readers as well with the Kindle Touch and a new cheaper Kindle. The Kindle
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Amazon Updates Kindle, Positions Entire Lineup of Devices Under $200

Amazon, in addition to announcing their new-new tablet the Fire, updated their ‘old’ line of Kindle e-Readers as well with the Kindle Touch and a new cheaper Kindle.

The Kindle Touch and Touch 3G are Amazon’s newest Kindle’s. Unlike the Fire these are straight up e-Readers with the “most advanced E Ink display” but, are completely multi-touch enabled. The Kindle Touches utilize no physical buttons—save for a home button—to operate. Page turns, book shopping, note taking, and search are all done with simple touch gestures and commands.

The 3G model provides users with free 3G wireless access across the globe, allowing users to synch and download books wherever, whenever. The new touch models are available for $99 (WiFi) and $149 (3G). Also, Amazon’s entry-level kindle received a makeover. The design fits in line with the Kindle Touches, but lacks multi-touch capabilities. The device utilizes a five-way controller plus four buttons to navigate and function. Its simplicity reflects the cheap $79 price tag.

Amazon’s new Kindles are e-Readers and nothing more. They let users download books, read those books, and in some cases let them take notes. It should be noted that the Kindle prices mentioned in this article reflect the Kindle with Special Offers models. Buying the Special Offers (nice way to say advertisements) model subsidizes between $20 and $40 of the price, but means the user is subject to ads on their device.

Today Kindle established themselves as the king of the e-Reader crop and possibly the Android tablet crop as well. The touch and color advantage the Barnes & Noble Nook had is no more, and other Android tablets can’t compete in terms of price. Amazon, potentially, could exit this holiday season with a massive amount of cash and new customers. How many of those will come at the expense of Apple has yet to be seen, but there will be plenty of data for analysts to pour over this holiday season, and we'll know how these knew devices affected the marketplace soon enough.

Source: Amazon
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

All of the prices for the new kindles shown above are including special offers (ads) just saying. The actual prices are 109,139, and 189 for all three models

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Yes! I've been waiting for a Kindle with a touch option. The wifi version will be the one. Oh man, so excited for this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

I might have to get my self one. Sound so good.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

My mother has been wanting one, may get her it for christmas.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

It's quite obvious these were made to compete with the nook touch, and color. Barnes and Noble was killing amazon in the e-reader market...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    $199.99 does not count as

Thanks
    Steve Jobs must be shakin in his boots! The Kindle Fire is the Ipad killer.