Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Donates Refurbished iPads to Teach for America

Default Apple Donates Refurbished iPads to Teach for America

Apple is on a philanthropic roll since Tim Cook took the reigns as CEO, not that Steve Jobs didn’t do his share of good for the world, but Apple’s charitable efforts appear to be increasingly visible.

A few days after Cook took office he announced a charitable donation matching program for Apple employees on donations made up to $10,000 and now Apple has donated an undisclosed number of refurbished original iPads to Teach for America teachers. For those unfamiliar with Teach for America it is a program where recent graduates go through a five-week training period before being thrown into some of the toughest, most-impoverished public schools.

The total number of donated iPads is unknown, but every single Teach for America corps member—over 9,000 teachers in 38 states—was offered an iPad. The emails sent out to teachers read, “What could an iPad do for your classroom and your students? Well, we’re asking you to help us answer this question.”

The iPads, passed out over the last few weekends, won’t likely cure many of the ills students in the impoverished schools face, but one inner-city St. Louis High School Science teacher has already figured out how to reward students.

“So far I’ve figured out it can make them finish their work fast for ‘iPad time.’”

It isn’t much, but it’s a start. Also, it should be noted Steve Jobs wife, Laurene Powelle, sits on Teach For America’s board of directors. So maybe we should send our thanks to the Jobs family for this one.

Source: Fortune
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-21-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
    Thanks MRS. JOBS...
    I second that thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well done Mr. Cook.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Smart of Tim, cover his butt pretty well.Get public opinion of his reign up by cheritable contributions so even if he does not manage Apple as well as Jobs people will not be as critical because of his philanthropic leadership.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds great, It seems like to me that the school board, and faculty should be taught how to incorporate these into the everyday learning of a student and teacher. "St. Louis High School Science teacher has already figured out how to reward students.“So far I’ve figured out it can make them finish their work fast for ‘iPad time.’”Pad time?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    This sounds great, It seems like to me that the school board, and faculty should be taught how to incorporate these into the everyday learning of a student and teacher. "St. Louis High School Science teacher has already figured out how to reward students.“So far I’ve figured out it can make them finish their work fast for ‘iPad time.’”Pad time?
    And where do you think the schools are going to get the money to train teachers? I work in a school district and teachers don't do anything that they don't get paid for. Any training they demand is done outside of school hours and expect to get paid for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

finishing fast is not = to getting answers right. who cares? it IPAD TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    And where do you think the schools are going to get the money to train teachers? I work in a school district and teachers don't do anything that they don't get paid for. Any training they demand is done outside of school hours and expect to get paid for it.
    Good thing the iPad is so stupid simple to use a child doesn't usually need the teacher to show him how. If a teacher, on their own merit cannot figure out how to incorporate an iPad into their routine to better their students education, then they should not be teaching.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good ****

Thanks

A free iPad?? That's a win win.

I seriously think that apple should just sell the ipads and use the money to give to teachers.this is obviously a marketing plan in which the children see teachers use ipads or use ipads themselves and then further on in the future, they'll be like "I want an iPad cos I used one in preschool/school!" news can be transferred from one kid to another and before we'll know it, the suple minds of children will be brainwashed into using iPads and not any other devices.... Not that I hate the iPad (cos i have a 64gb iPad2 myself ) but just putting that out there....

Quote Originally Posted by madavid789 View Post
    I seriously think that apple should just sell the ipads and use the money to give to teachers.this is obviously a marketing plan in which the children see teachers use ipads or use ipads themselves and then further on in the future, they'll be like "I want an iPad cos I used one in preschool/school!" news can be transferred from one kid to another and before we'll know it, the suple minds of children will be brainwashed into using iPads and not any other devices.... Not that I hate the iPad (cos i have a 64gb iPad2 myself ) but just putting that out there....
    Hate to admit this but apple has already taken over the world