+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Taking Its Sweet Old Time on The iPad 3

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to information gleaned from Apple's overseas supply chain, a prototype of the iPad 3 already exists. But Apple is anything but in a hurry to ready the third-generation tablet
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Taking Its Sweet Old Time on The iPad 3

According to information gleaned from Apple's overseas supply chain, a prototype of the iPad 3 already exists. But Apple is anything but in a hurry to ready the third-generation tablet into production for a market release. In fact, it sounds like Apple is going to take its sweet old time getting the iPad 3 ready - a move that will give Apple fanatics plenty of time to savor the iPhone 5 and any additional goodies Cupertino has in store before the end of 2011.

In a research note shared with investors Friday, J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz says the iPad 3 likely won't be introduced until well into 2012. "In our view, Apple should be in no rush," he said. "The other tablet entrants have stumbled so far, and that trend-line could persist deep into 2012."

According to Moskowitz, the primary reason why Apple will sit on the iPad 3 for the time being is because there is virtually no competing tablet in the current marketplace that makes Apple nervous. With their touchscreen tablet dominating nearly three-quarters of the global tablet market share, the iPad 3 will all but certainly remain in Apple's tech holster until the need to draw fire against a new competitor next year becomes apparent.

Moskowitz, however, doesn't see any credible threats for the immediate future. In fact, he suggests that the next major tablet push - probably from Sony - could prove an epic failure based on his own impression of Sony's demonstrated device. "To us, Sony's tablet lacks the refined, sleek feel of the iPad and its bezel-like back is not user-friendly," he wrote. "Lastly, the Sony tablet runs on the Android O/S, which has failed to garner as much interest in tablets as it has in smartphones."

Source: Barron's

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This is retarded. They're not waiting because they have no competition. They're waiting because it's only been 7 months since the iPad 2 came out and they don't refresh their products more than once a year. You can expect the next iPad to come out around March/April.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-16-2011), scottw03 (09-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    This is retarded. They're not waiting because they have no competition. They're waiting because it's only been 7 months since the iPad 2 came out and they don't refresh their products more than once a year. You can expect the next iPad to come out around March/April.
    I know, i haven't even broken in my ipad 2 yet.

Thanks

It's not retarded. It makes sense, but I think you're also right that it has a lot to do with the fact that the iPad 2 was just recently released. If Apple truly does sit on their haunches because there is no good competition it's not only bad for us as consumers, but bad for them. Sitting around is how companies screw themselves over in the long run because there will be a darkhorse who they don't see coming, and then they'll have to rush to get back to where they want to be. They shouldn't release things based on competition, but rather when they think the technology is there. If the iPad 3 doesn't really have any technological advances over the iPad 2, then don't release it yet. But if there is a prototype built already that they plan on basing the iPad 3 on, and it doesn't have many improvements then hopefully they will change their mind. I see something like this as causing Apple's success to be their downfall. Never underestimate the competition. It's a well known lesson in all facets of life.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Thanks

But if you release too early, even if the technology is there, people get fed up with buying things and having them "obsolete" to quickly or hold on buying to just wait for a couple refreshes. The idea is to find that magical timing where people feel like they got good use out of product, and want to buy every new model that comes out.

Oh, and 50+ billion in cash says they might have a fairly good idea what is the right thing to do without our input, lol.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    It's not retarded. It makes sense, but I think you're also right that it has a lot to do with the fact that the iPad 2 was just recently released. If Apple truly does sit on their haunches because there is no good competition it's not only bad for us as consumers, but bad for them. Sitting around is how companies screw themselves over in the long run because there will be a darkhorse who they don't see coming, and then they'll have to rush to get back to where they want to be. They shouldn't release things based on competition, but rather when they think the technology is there. If the iPad 3 doesn't really have any technological advances over the iPad 2, then don't release it yet. But if there is a prototype built already that they plan on basing the iPad 3 on, and it doesn't have many improvements then hopefully they will change their mind. I see something like this as causing Apple's success to be their downfall. Never underestimate the competition. It's a well known lesson in all facets of life.
    That doesn't make any logical sense. Your arguments are general and have no supporting evidence. I agree with the above statements that Apple has had enormous predictability... and success... with an annual(ish) product release refresh. It would actually HURT Apple if they pushed out a premature product in this case as it's not needed at all. The iPad 2 is the leader in the market... it would make no sense to push out another product this soon when their existing ones are flying off the shelf and the holiday season fast approaching. As for your comment about Apple sitting on their haunches... they have a working prototype for R&D right now! That's quite the opposite of your claim. Expect tweaks... redesigns... changes due to competition specs... and a final production model ready by February or March. That's how business works

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Channan (09-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Yep. When the rumors of a Fall release surfaced over the summer I was shocked because it completely went against anything Apple has done before.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-16-2011)

Thanks

^you heard it here first!! Xd

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

I'll wait for iPad 5s
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stop Complaining
    Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    I know, i haven't even broken in my ipad 2 yet.
    Do you want Apple to release a new iPad every 3 months? Would that make you happy? Be realistic and stop complaining......