Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UK Supermarket Building iPad Docks into Shopping Carts

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default UK Supermarket Building iPad Docks into Shopping Carts

Here's something you're probably not used to seeing around the grocery store - shopping carts with a built-in iPad dock.

Known as "trolleys" in the UK, Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sky TV's Sky Go service are partnering for the venture, which will enable shoppers to use their iPad - ostensibly for a wide variety of purposes - while perusing produce and stocking up on snacks. iPads, however, are not included in the carts, just the docks.

The trolleys come complete with a tilting iPad holder and speakers. Their front bumpers are fitted with a sensor which lets off a warning beep if an engrossed shopper gets too close to another customer, while an on board battery with a self-charging solar panel ensures that the iPads never run out of power.
    According to the UK Telegraph, the setup allows iPad users to watch "live sports or news on their portable devices." I would have thought that a digital grocery list is more practical given the location, but to each his own, I guess.

“Being able to create a gadget that is practical yet innovative is often a challenge but I think with the trolley we’ve cracked it," said Ian Burgess of Setwo Designs, who created the trolleys. "The trolley can be used in the traditional way for shopping yet streams the latest sports news easily.”

Source: UK Telegraph

Thanks

Understandable with the new Reminders app in iOS 5.
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this for real? is a hoax?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

*docks iPad* I want some beans.. Hmm they are a few steps away from where I was looking *walks to beans* *Walks back to trolley now missing an iPad*

If iPads weren't luxury items and everyone had one and they only cost 0.50p then fair enough, put them everywhere! Feel this could be a real security threat. I worked part time at Sainsbury's while I was at college. A lot of old women have their purses/handbags stolen from their trolly while they have their back turned.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Is this for real? is a hoax?
    Sad. Just sad. As if people don't spend enough time with their eyes glued to a screen...

Thanks

This kind of **** is why people think that Apple users are retarded.

Aren't car accidents enough ?
    Now people will be crashing everywhere
    :P
    Nice idea...but I don't think its one of those things u mass produce. Rather one of those things u brag to someone else about because they don't have it

I will be doing my shopping at sainsburys from now on
    No Sig Spam..

Wow... Now I can stare at my ipad even more every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    Aren't car accidents enough ?
    Now people will be crashing everywhere
    :P
    Nice idea...but I don't think its one of those things u mass produce. Rather one of those things u brag to someone else about because they don't have it
    I was wondering why they added the front bumper sensors, I bet that is it, otherwise they would have people paying to much attention to their iPads and crash into something.

this is going to be cool.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Thanks

Ho my daaaays. I'm going to have to get my Mom to shop at Sainsburys instead of Asda now.

This really is the stupidest idea in the history of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    *docks iPad* I want some beans.. Hmm they are a few steps away from where I was looking *walks to beans* *Walks back to trolley now missing an iPad*

If iPads weren't luxury items and everyone had one and they only cost 0.50p then fair enough, put them everywhere! Feel this could be a real security threat. I worked part time at Sainsbury's while I was at college. A lot of old women have their purses/handbags stolen from their trolly while they have their back turned.
    Goooood 1, if u have that shoping around with u. I'll B the 1st to get a free ipad? "NOT THAT I WOULD DO IT." BUT not everyone born rich?