Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Cites 2001: A Space Odyssey as Prior Art in Patent Suit

Default Samsung Cites 2001: A Space Odyssey as Prior Art in Patent Suit

Today Florian Mueller, writer for FOSS Patens blog, noticed a rather peculiar argument as part of Samsung's defense in their patent suit with Apple.

Samsung is claiming 2001: A Space Odyssey established iPad like devices as prior art, as part of their defense. The argument is odd, and most definitely not an integral part of Samsungs defense, I hope.

As with the design claimed by the D’889 Patent, the tablet disclosed in the clip has an overall rectangular shape with a dominant display screen, narrow borders, a predominately flat front surface, a flat back surface (which is evident because the tablets are lying flat on the table's surface), and a thin form factor. - Samung's legal team.
    The scene in questions shows two astronaunts eating at a long table with two devices on the table next to their food. The devices appear to be video screens, with dimensions similar to tablet devices. However, the astronauts are never seen interacting with the devices at all, giving very little credence to Samsung's claims that the devices pictured are even tablets.

I will give Samsung's legal team props for citing one of my favorite movies in their argument, but having reference scores any points with the courts is highly unlikely.

Source: FOSS Patents
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-23-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Stupid Samsung trying to low ball Apple with this nonsense...pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Funny how they think it'll work isn't it?

Excellent move! The courts should slap apple for this nonsense of trademarking/patenting/copyrighting the rectangle... Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Excellent move! The courts should slap apple for this nonsense of trademarking/patenting/copyrighting the rectangle... Sheesh!
    Honestly, this isn't going to get them anywhere in the case. It's not relevant to the case, and will just make them look like there scraping the barrel.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Its amazing to see that Apple actually think they invented the tablet/pad...

The whole idea if a "pad-like" device have been used in so many moves, eg. star trek... on this one, i think Apple is pathetic.. get real damnit.. you dident invent it just because you created one...

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't allow that defense. LOL

I would have thought star trek would have been a better choice

pic from star trek ~ 1966

i think apple copied it

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    pic from star trek ~ 1966

i think apple copied it

can definitely see the resemblance

But it's brilliant when apple sues samsung with the same kind of nonsense?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aemon For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (08-24-2011)

If it was the other way round you wouldn't be saying that, Apple may have nicked the iPad design from one OS Samsung's picture frames, that was made in 2006.

Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Thanks
    So they're basically saying they'd rather be sued by MGM Studios instead?...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Whether it's relevant to the case or not is IRRELEVANT....the burden of proof rests with Apple. They have to prove that Samsung copied their design......Samsung does not have to prove that they didn't...although any evidence they submit would most likely help them.

So the peculiarity of this really doesn't matter because it's certainly better than FORGING evidence.....which is what APPLE did. So try to remember that before you think something is ridiculous.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-24-2011 at 07:33 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (08-24-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by valkin View Post
    Its amazing to see that Apple actually think they invented the tablet/pad...

The whole idea if a "pad-like" device have been used in so many moves, eg. star trek... on this one, i think Apple is pathetic.. get real damnit.. you dident invent it just because you created one...
    Sorry, but I think it is a whole different think between "think in something" and "make that thing"
    the ipad is not just an ordinary thing, it is nothing without the iOS which was made by apple, which I think is the most important thing in the tablet in my opinion
    Last edited by fmbar00; 08-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Honestly, this isn't going to get them anywhere in the case. It's not relevant to the case, and will just make them look like there scraping the barrel.
    Then tell me again... what are the motives that apple is suing Samsung? It is the look of the device. This proves the nonsense of that. As stated by others, apple has to prove their cases, not vice-versa. They will loose this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    I think they are referencing whats inside the rectangle. Im waiting for someone else to create and produce something with the
    impact lame apple has done. i truly think that if someone builds a better product the migration to that product will follow.

dz
    Last edited by dz302; 08-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The patent Apple said Samsung infringed on is the look of the device.
    All Samsung have to prove is a device as a drawing or actual product that have similar looks would not only win the lawsuit, it would also throw Apple's patent out the window. It does not matter how rediculous it may be or the owner of previous device did not patent their concept, Samsung or any other companies can use it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (08-24-2011)

Thanks

If a company wants to make a tablet I think they hav to make it a different shape like a circle to avoid any lawsuits from apple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast