+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Goodbye Cash Register, Hello iDevice Checkouts

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The iPad and iPhone are already incredibly popular among small business owners as a means of accepting credit card payments. Square has made sure of that. However, the phenomenon is
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Goodbye Cash Register, Hello iDevice Checkouts

The iPad and iPhone are already incredibly popular among small business owners as a means of accepting credit card payments. Square has made sure of that. However, the phenomenon is moving into large retail chains as well.

According to a story by All Things Digital retailers Nordstrom, Home Depot, and Urban Outfitters have already rolled out iDevice registar programs, but Lowe's is looking to one-up them all. Lowe's is set to deploy 42,000 mobile devices across 1,700 stores in the U.S. and Canada by the end of the fiscal year 2011.

The mobile POS (point of sale) systems usually utilize iPads, iPhones, or iPod Touches, but most of the retailers aren't specifying what mobile devices the will be using (Touchpads anyone?). However, the initial use of the devices has been relegated to customer service. Employees use the devices to look up answers to customer questions, and checking inventory.

PacSun will be implementing iPads in 300 stores by the end of this year, with 600 more by the end of next year. Where their iPads will differ from competitors is the proprietary software they will use developed by Global Bay. The software will be able to assist customers in ordering items that are out of stock in stores, and help associates close an estimated five more transactions a day.

Mobile payment kiosks may be the future, but whats gonna happen to cold hard cash? You can't really accept benjamins via an iPad or iPhone. Still, the death of the traditional checkout is upon us.

Source: AllThingsD

Thanks

It was bound to happen sometime... It's the natural course of things...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How do I get a receipt, there is no way the store is getting my email address or phone number for SMS so they can spam me

Thanks

Who needs humans nowadays? Smh -.-

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    How do I get a receipt, there is no way the store is getting my email address or phone number for SMS so they can spam me
    You are also unwilling to move forward either. Receipts are paper. Move on and quit being paranoid about getting spammed. Paper receipts are dying right along with paper money and checks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Create an email address to deal with said transactions and the accompanying "spam." End of problem.

Thanks

I wonder what this will do for the developers of the software that is made to run their registers. Our touchscreen comp(Starbucks) was developed on ubuntu.
    On another note i think this Is fantastic( of course this was bound to happen sooner or later) but what a nice chunk of change for apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skattrbrain View Post
    Create an email address to deal with said transactions and the accompanying "spam." End of problem.
    ^^ Ditto. I'd rather be spammed via email than have hundreds of paper receipts all crumbled up. If i ever want to reconcile my credit card statement with e-receipts, hopefully there will be apps for doing that too which will make the job easier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Wow, what insight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    You are also unwilling to move forward either. Receipts are paper. Move on and quit being paranoid about getting spammed. Paper receipts are dying right along with paper money and checks.
    I am sure that would be true if receipts weren't required by some to do their finances. And a credit card is not paper money, you have to pay it off with paper money.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    I am sure that would be true if receipts weren't required by some to do their finances. And a credit card is not paper money, you have to pay it off with paper money.
    You realize that banks offer debit and credit cards that are directly tied to your checking and savings accounts, right? You don't have to "pay it off with paper money"...it automatically comes from your account. Furthermore, you can simply PRINT OFF you emailed receipts to do your finances. A lot easier than carrying a stack of receipts (you can create a folder of just receipts, wow!!).

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

hahah wicked..i thought of it ages ago..now they need that technology where ur phones the the credit card too. goodbye wallet too! haha

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Can I haz a NFC chip in my iPhonez yet?

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like a great plan to me. One of the local coffee shops just switched to an iPod Touch with a Square card reader. This is great for the business, the card paying customers, and the customers with the Card Case app!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If that is the case it's just like the apple store they can print you a receipt in store. Apple has never sent me spam mail after making a purchase in store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theone3434 View Post
    You realize that banks offer debit and credit cards that are directly tied to your checking and savings accounts, right? You don't have to "pay it off with paper money"...it automatically comes from your account. Furthermore, you can simply PRINT OFF you emailed receipts to do your finances. A lot easier than carrying a stack of receipts (you can create a folder of just receipts, wow!!).
    I pay mine with an online bank transfer...from my iPhone. All i see is numbers being tossed back and forth. This is becoming a less-paper world. I completely agree with this, and would also have receipts sent to a little-used email just in case someone does spam.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Now.. how do I target these companies and offer my repair services...

Hmmmmm

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Too bad it will never happen.

Thanks

Umm just one question n then I will be convinced.

How would you return your items purchased for an exchange or a refund without a receipt?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have not seen one iOS device used in stores.