+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HP Engineers Allegedly Tested WebOS on iPad 2, Saw Dramatic Performance Increase

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
News of HP trying to spin-off its paper-thin-margin PC business and killing WebOS devices shocked the PC world yesterday. The reason for the Touchpad's demise was more than performance, but
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HP Engineers Allegedly Tested WebOS on iPad 2, Saw Dramatic Performance Increase

News of HP trying to spin-off its paper-thin-margin PC business and killing WebOS devices shocked the PC world yesterday. The reason for the Touchpad's demise was more than performance, but The Next Web is reporting it was a problem, and WebOS engineers knew it.

WebOS engineers went as far as to port the OS to an iPad 2 and the results seemed to add insult to injury. WebOS ran nearly twice as fast on the iPad 2 compared to the TouchPad according to the report's source. The constraints of the Touchpad's hardware reportedly stopped the WebOS team fron innovating "beyond certain points" early on. The WebOS team even wanted the Touchpad and Pre smart phones gone before they were released.

The WebOS team deployed WebOS in Mobile Safari as a web-app, did the same on the Touchpad with its browser, and saw the same speed increase on the iPad over the Touchpad as they did porting WebOS over to the iPad natively.

While the WebOS team was able to port the OS over to the iPad, it is a difficult process as WebOS is specifically designed for the Snapdragon Qualcomm chipset. If HP intends to license out WebOS to other device manufacturers like it has mentioned it has plans to, streamlining this process is a must.

But, as HP has mentioned in their recent press releases, their plans for the future of WebOS aren't clear right now and that is possibly the worst thing that could happen. Not having a plan in a marketplace that evolves as quickly as mobile computing does is a death knell.

Source: The Next Web

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Like I said before and I will say it again.
    HP problem is not the WebOS it is the damn management.
    New executive wants to make a mark on the company, so he decides to point company to a different direction. Only way they can do that is to kill his predecessors project which would be WebOS, just so it can not have any success. Did not attempt to save over $1.6 billion spent on a project and kills the project so quickly, don't even hint that they will sell it to someone else and just let it die... Irresponsible management if you ask me.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Well of course it would run on an Apple product... But seriously, I used to think HP made good hardware. Maybe Apple should buy webOS then they could take all the ideas without getting sued or criticized

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The device sync and the tap to transfer is exactly what I devices are missing. I like webOS sad to see it go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Well of course it would run on an Apple product... But seriously, I used to think HP made good hardware. Maybe Apple should buy webOS then they could take all the ideas without getting sued or criticized

I think google should buy webOS and call it android 2.0....alot cleaner and that's what android need to do to compete against apple, to clean up the android system and experience!

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

I kinda agree with unison. I didnt knew that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Google buy webOS, you need it!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well let see the WebOS is consider the best Mobil software in the market and what its need is a push for someone like HP

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nokia needs to drop their Symbian OS and go with this WebOS.
    I am sure HTC would not have a problem build hardware that would run WebOS efficiently as well...
    Plenty of company out there that can design and build a more superior hardware than HP, they could have been the solution for HP to recover some investment into the OS but that is not what HP did. There is something going on in the background of HP that they are not saying, you just do not flush $1.6 billion down the toilet for no reason.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rudylo1 View Post
    I think google should buy webOS and call it android 2.0....alot cleaner and that's what android need to do to compete against apple, to clean up the android system and experience!
    Smarty pants there is already an android 2.0 and there's currently android 3.2 coming out soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rudylo1 View Post
    Just fyi.... They are past 2.0

Agrosner up there beat me to it.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think Apple is very dependend on Steve Jobs and HP should keep it all in the fridge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With the thousands and thousands of devices being sent back esp from Bestbuy and other huge stores sending hundres of thousands back the only way to guarantee sales furing the Firesale is to not restrict people to the poor HP app store.

If someone could break the Touchapd and run android on it (for example) the deivce would be a real bargain at $99 even if the hardware is not as fresh.

Thanks

I want web os on my iPad 2 is it posable.

Thanks

I just ran Gears of War 3 on my PS3 just to see how it went...got no results :-(
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
    I want web os on my iPad 2 is it posable.
    No, not if you can't spell POSSIBLE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wittybob View Post
    no, not if you can't spell possible xd
    lmfao
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]