+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Has Largest Mobile PC Market Share, Kicks HP While They Are Down

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Research company DisplaySearch has crunched the numbers from last quarter's mobile PC sales and Apple retook the top spot with the largest slice of the market. Apple shipped roughly 13.6
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Has Largest Mobile PC Market Share, Kicks HP While They Are Down

Research company DisplaySearch has crunched the numbers from last quarter's mobile PC sales and Apple retook the top spot with the largest slice of the market.

Apple shipped roughly 13.6 million units which accounted for 21 percent of the mobile PC market. Apple supplanted HP as the top mobile PC maker, no doubt due to HP's inability to sell its WebOS tablets, which they announced is shut down. So much for that Palm acquisition.

While HP only managed to ship 9.7 million units (15 percent market share), most of those weren't tablets. If the study didn't count tablets as mobile PC's, Apple would lose nearly 80 percent of their tallied mobile PC sales. Still, the amazing growth of the tablet sector has helped take the place of slumping PC and laptop sales, which are down for the second straight quarter.

Apple should grab somewhere around 60 percent of the tablet market share by the end of this year, and largely because of their success, tablets have officially started chipping away at traditional laptop sales.

Source: PC World

Thanks

It sucks HP's tablet flopped, I tried it at a Best Buy and it wasn't that bad, not close to as good as my iPad 2 but definitely, IMO, better than Android tablets and phones.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So slice off the iPad tablet (which even this article separates from PCs and laptops) and Apple got spanked in actual PC/laptop sales. Factoring in the iPad as a PC, which is highly debatable, is the only reason Apple has accomplished this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

How is an iPad a mobile pc - aren't you supposed to be able to work on them- i.e. run word and flash..... Tablets should not be considered mobile pcs.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    How is an iPad a mobile pc - aren't you supposed to be able to work on them- i.e. run word and flash..... Tablets should not be considered mobile pcs.
    Not to mention.....I've never recently seen a computer that you had to hook up to another computer for it to be activated or backed up.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Tablets are tablets.
    Smart phones are smart phones.
    Laptops are mobile PCs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Not to mention.....I've never recently seen a computer that you had to hook up to another computer for it to be activated or backed up.
    Actually with iOS5 you are not tethered to an iTunes PC anymore. So all iOS devices will become self sufficient.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even without being tethered to a computer anymore, I still don't see a tablet as a mobile computer. They're honestly just big PDAs. I can't hook a USB thumb drive or external drive up to one and copy files over. I can't use my LCD/LED televisions as a monitor. I can't run a dual monitor output on it. Can't hook it up to all my computer recording gear. Can't add/upgrade memory or hard drive space. Can't hook it up to my pc 5.1 surround gear.
    They're neat, but only about as useful as a netbook (give or take in a few different areas). It's just my opinion, but my laptop can do soooo much more. That's a mobile computer.