+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LG iPad 2 Display Problems, Samsung and Others Pick Up Production Slack

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Digitimes is reporting that LG hasn't been able to meet Apple's demand for the 9.7" displays the iPad 2 depends on, forcing Apple to rely on Samsung and Chimei Innolux
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default LG iPad 2 Display Problems, Samsung and Others Pick Up Production Slack

Digitimes is reporting that LG hasn't been able to meet Apple's demand for the 9.7" displays the iPad 2 depends on, forcing Apple to rely on Samsung and Chimei Innolux for additional supplies.

LG's problems stem from quality control. The company failed to meet their productions goals by 1 million units, mostly due to light leak issues that slowed production. Apple relying on Samsung to help meet demand is probably as awkward as any of us can imagine, considering Apple just won another injunction forbidding the sale of Samsung's Galaxy Tab in all of Europe.

LG will still be the major supplier for iPad 2 displays, given they can fix the quality issues. Lord knows Apple doesn't want to ask anymore favors of Samsung than they have to.

Source: Digitimes
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. "Help us out and we promise not to block your sales in any more countries."

"Refuse to help us.....and we will bypass you anyway and go straight to your supplier and then drown you in more lawsuits for the aggravation you've caused us. Resistance is futile!" -Apple

Last edited by RICO_; 08-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    lol. "Help us out and we promise not to block your sales in any more countries."

"Refuse to help us.....and we will bypass you anyway and go straight to your supplier and then drown you in more lawsuits for the aggregation you've caused us. Resistance is futile!" -Apple

You got the second part right, though i dont think Apple will make that first promise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know why anyone would think this would be awkward. With sales being hindered by the injunctions, obviously they're going to want to sell components to keep as much cash flowing in as possible.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't surprise me. I have a T-Mobile G2x made by LG it's well known for light leaks and screen bleeds.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen. View Post
    You got the second part right, though i dont think Apple will make that first promise.
    Sure they could.....I never said anything about them honoring it though. It's called LYING.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8ed View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. I have a T-Mobile G2x made by LG it's well known for light leaks and screen bleeds.
    That's the reason why I have an iPhone 4 now instead of the G2x. The screen bleed issue was horrible so I traded it.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    That's the reason why I have an iPhone 4 now instead of the G2x. The screen bleed issue was horrible so I traded it.
    Change ur picture Plz u look like this hairy Mexican cholo guy I hate haha xD

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    Change ur picture Plz u look like this hairy Mexican cholo guy I hate haha xD
    Nope. I aint hairy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=RICO_;6186927]lol. "Help us out and we promise not to block your sales in any more countries."

"Refuse to help us.....and we will bypass you anyway and go straight to your supplier and then drown you in more lawsuits for the aggregation you've caused us. Resistance is futile!" -Apple

[/Resistance is futile!"]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post

Well good luck with that. Samsung actually manufactures the panels, there's no suppliers above them (except raw material). The only other option for Apple is to build them itself which is pretty unlikely since they don't build parts. Only put them together in shiny good-looking toys

I really think it's a shame all this beef between the two companies cause the Samsung panels are way better than the LGs. We will end up with lower quality Apple products just because of pride.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charliebee View Post
    Well good luck with that. Samsung actually manufactures the panels, there's no suppliers above them (except raw material). The only other option for Apple is to build them itself which is pretty unlikely since they don't build parts. Only put them together in shiny good-looking toys

I really think it's a shame all this beef between the two companies cause the Samsung panels are way better than the LGs. We will end up with lower quality Apple products just because of pride.
    We're not ending up with lower quality. LG didn't ship the panels with the light leaks which is why their production was short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    We're not ending up with lower quality. LG didn't ship the panels with the light leaks which is why their production was short.
    But was is it that we see on the picture?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oops.....

I just realized I mis-spelled "aggravation".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    They did ship it and Apple sold it. Both my friend and I have screens bleeding light, although mine isn't as bad as my friends.

Thanks

That's exactly what my first TWO iPad 2's looked like. Interesting. I had always had the perception that LG had superior displays than Samsung. I guess I stand corrected.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebee View Post
    But was is it that we see on the picture?
    Ok I looked up the original article and it seems the picture on this post is not related to the Digitimes article. The LG panels didn't pass Apple QA. Good!

Ok so they were actually sold. That's a shame. Sorry to hear that malahhaor. Did you have any problems getting a replacement?
    Last edited by charliebee; 08-11-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Holy crap.... if panels like that actually got past inspection I hate to see the ones that were rejected! Crazy how you can get such different results from the exact same manufacturing process.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I guess Life's not Good at LG.

Maybe they should focus on a few certain areas of electronics or appliances and stop trying to make everything from cell phones, to TVs, to microwaves, to washing machines, to iPad screens.

LG's new slogan should be "Jack of all trades...master of none"

Green Apple
    Thanks

too bad you can't get a plasma display that small.. and the only panel LG has ever made near samsung quality is their 55-60 inch pdp.