+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: RIM Responds to Rumors That it May Dump Wi-Fi PlayBook as a Result of Poor Sales

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default RIM Responds to Rumors that it May Dump Wi-Fi PlayBook as a Result of Poor Sales

It's been a rough year for Research in Motion (RIM). In addition to the BlackBerry maker struggling to compete against ubiquitous Android and iOS devices, the tablet market has been even less friendly to the Canadian-based company. On Monday, word broke that RIM is reportedly considering a discontinuation of its PlayBook touchscreen tablet.

RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky issued a note to investors this morning which "reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the BlackBerry PlayBook’s Wi-Fi model ... The reasons for the discontinuation of the Wi-Fi edition, Abramsky states, could be related to a pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through, in addition to RIM focusing on upcoming cellularly-connected PlayBook versions."
    RIM released its long-awaited, 7-inch tablet in April in North America, and has been making plans to sell it in other countries around the world. It retails for $499 for a model with 16 gigabytes of storage, $599 for a 32 GB version and $699 for 64 GB. That's the same price as Apple's iPad 2.
    Although some Apple fans are reveling in the PlayBook's apparent defeat following record sales and demand for both 1st and 2nd generation iPads, RIM is adamantly denying that its tablet aspirations are dead. "Rumors suggesting that the Wi-Fi version of the BlackBerry PlayBook is being discontinued are pure fiction. Over the past month, the PlayBook has launched in 16 additional markets around the world and further rollouts are planned for Southeast Asia, Western Europe and the Middle East in the coming weeks."

Source: MSNBC

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why would Apple fans be rejoicing in RIM's "defeat"? As long as THEIR precious Apple product works the way it is supposed to, I see no reason for them to be concerned with RIM in any way.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Why would Apple fans be rejoicing in RIM's "defeat"? As long as THEIR precious Apple product works the way it is supposed to, I see no reason for them to be concerned with RIM in any way.
    This sites comments often remind me of 1984. All they do is announce victories, hide the defeats, trick their own people (and themselves), and hope for the defeat of their enemies, no matter the method / reason.

LONG LIVE OCEANIA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    cuz then they can say the ipad is so good it put the playbook in retirement

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    cuz then they can say the ipad is so good it put the playbook in retirement
    Actually the numerous companies that Apple "borrows" its features from and pays royalties to and settles out of court with are so good that they put the playbook out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

RIM blows anyways. Blackberrys have been slowly dying out for the past few years. I dont understand how any person can go out and buy a Blackberry with so many better options out there. Playbook was Rims last hope for survival, but they failed. Sorry Rim, at least you had your fun.

R.I.P
    Research In Motion

Thanks

I'd have to Admit. Only BB I liked was the 9800 Series & their Storm; other than THAT...BBM was a GREAT Idea that set apart BB from All other OS. But...Now with iOS5 coming out with it's version of BBM, i don't See how RIM..will stay Afloat.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    RIM blows anyways. Blackberrys have been slowly dying out for the past few years. I dont understand how any person can go out and buy a Blackberry with so many better options out there. Playbook was Rims last hope for survival, but they failed. Sorry Rim, at least you had your fun.

R.I.P
    Research In Motion
    Based on my observations, people still buy Blackberries because the devices are an understandable and known quantity. The other options are more confusing for the typical user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Axecaster View Post
    Based on my observations, people still buy Blackberries because the devices are an understandable and known quantity. The other options are more confusing for the typical user.
    Not true. We have some real turnips here and they are all moving to iPhones because the hate their blackberries.

Die RIM, Die!! noRIP, it's all heavy labor in hell!
    "僕はアニメが好きです!!!"
    "一遍…死んで見る" ---閻魔あい, 地獄少女

"Humans are greedy, therefore they are human, you do well to remember that."
    "Go ahead and shoot me if you want, but... I think you'll wish you'd saved your ammunition later."

---Armblast, GOTT Auditor and ES Member