+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sears iPad 2 Pricing Mishap Likely Won't Spark Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Over the weekend, the most venerable name in the world of department stores - Sears - listed on its website the 16GB Wi-Fi-only iPad 2 for the amazingly low price
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sears iPad 2 Pricing Mishap Likely Won't Spark Lawsuit

Over the weekend, the most venerable name in the world of department stores - Sears - listed on its website the 16GB Wi-Fi-only iPad 2 for the amazingly low price of $70. If it sounds too good to be true... it was. And some customers learned so with great disappointment.

Naturally, the massively incorrect $70 price tag attracted no shortage of iPad 2 buyers. Although it isn't yet clear how many people actually purchased the $70 second generation tablet for the ridiculously low advertised price, I suppose the number of buyers really doesn't matter. Why? Because Sears subsequently canceled all orders placed for the iPad 2 and swiftly refunded the proceeds.

As you might expect, some are crying foul - and a few are even threatening a lawsuit - as a result of Sears failing to honor its advertised price, which was only corrected after the transactions in question were completed.

"Unfortunately, today one of the Marketplace third party sellers told us that they mistakenly posted incorrect pricing on two Apple iPad models on the Marketplace portion of the website," Sears acknowledged on its Facebook page over the weekend. "If you purchased either of these products recently, your order has been canceled and your account will be credited. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

The legal expert I spoke with this afternoon doubts that any lawsuits will actually be filed as a result of the Sears iPad 2 debacle and that the "fine print" provides adequate wiggle room for Sears to get away with their sweeping refund response to this pricing debacle.

Source: Sears Facebook

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How does this even happen "on accident"? Is there not someone to check what the web administrators put on web pages before its put on the production website?

/Sears Fail

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I work at sears and we have a contest if we do 70 online orders we get an iPad, that could've possibly come into play

Thanks

how is it legal to not make the sale

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I agree. Seems like someone fell asleep on this one.

Thanks

The pricing error wasn't by Sears, it was by a reseller on the Sears site. I ordered a couple only to have my order cancelled. We never expected it to go through. It's similar to anyone that wants to sell their own items on Amazon through their Seller Central.

Legally speaking, the price listed is an offer to bargain and doesn't have to be honored. No one will sue as there aren't legal grounds for a lawsuit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Are you guys serious? How is this even news?

Sears has a third-party marketplace, just like Amazon. Other people can list whatever they want for whatever price they set. Sometimes people place fraudulent listings at way too low prices.... this happens ALL THE TIME. Instead of getting mad, you should thank them for protecting you from a fraudulent seller by returning your money. You cannot honestly say you thought you were going to get an iPad for $70.

I don't shop at Sears because I've had my own issue with them, but they aren't really at fault here.

And stop posting this non-news nonsense.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

why does sears.com (i had to check) say a 16 GB iPad wifi only model is 924.94? But on Apples site its 499? Am i missing something?

Thanks

Turb02 - My thoughts exactly. An actual person has to update the info to go on the site, even if its a semi-automated process, at some point a human should have said - 'wait-a-minute that can't be right'.... And I understand typo's happen but $70 is just so odd a number, its not like the price is $570 and he left out the 5 its $499??? WEIRD

Thanks

Deliberate marketing tactics!!
    Sears knew the orders wouldn't go through, but now the whole world knows they have iPads in stock.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by britcan View Post
    Deliberate marketing tactics!!
    Sears knew the orders wouldn't go through, but now the whole world knows they have iPads in stock.
    iPads in stock for higher prices than buying from Apple directly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    iPads in stock for higher prices than buying from Apple directly.
    thats what i am saying! i can almost buy 2 iPad 2's for as much as Sears wants them for, they have to hire a new webmaster because first $70 and now $924? Ha

Thanks

lol wtf 64GB iPad 2 is now *only* $1239.99, sold by DamlowPrices lololol

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more