+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Said to Be Working With LG and Samsung on High-Def iPad 3 Displays

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The Korea Times reported Monday that Apple is working with LCD makers LG and Samsung on producing 2048-by-1536-pixel polysilicon displays for the next generation iPad. Prototypes of the high-resolution, low
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Said to Be Working With LG and Samsung on High-Def iPad 3 Displays

The Korea Times reported Monday that Apple is working with LCD makers LG and Samsung on producing 2048-by-1536-pixel polysilicon displays for the next generation iPad.

Prototypes of the high-resolution, low temperature displays are being quality tested by Apple at a facility in China, and are expected to retain the 4:3 aspect ration of current iPad models. However, LG and Samsung were tasked with creating a screen capable of the "Retina Display" moniker already applied to the iPhone 4.

Also, in a polysilicon or "p-Si LCD" the TFT or thin film transistor of the screen is made of polycrystalline silicon, allowing the display drivers to mounted directly onto the glass substrate. The result is a thinner TFT section and a thinner LCD display. And we all know how Apple loves making their devices thinner and more efficient.

Contracting Samsung for their next generation LCD display seems to be in stark contrast to the legal relationship the two companies have had recently. It doesn't help Apple is actively courting other companies to produce their A6 processor either. However, according to the Korea times Apple maintains a close relationship with Samsung in regards to LCD displays despite the companies differences. An anonymous senior level exec at Samsung said Apple is "first and foremost about product quality," and apparently Samsung is on the short list of quality LCD manufacturers.

Source: The Korea Times

Banned
    Thanks

I don't get it, how do you sue a company AND start a new contact with them at the same time?

Also, why would you manufacture parts for your biggest competitor?

So glad Im not the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation., lol.

Thanks

Watch them make a display of 2048x1536 but reduce the display dimensions to 8.5 inches diagonal, which would put it over the 300 ppi threshold. I could see Apple reducing display size just to get over that "retina" 300 ppi hurdle.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Thus, the samsung apple battle ends

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It's definitely complicated to compete with your components suppliers. The bottom line is they need each other. Samsung needs Apple as a customer and Apple needs Samsung as a supplier. These legal battles are just there to iron out the fine print in their contracts and licensing agreements at the end of the day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It's definitely complicated to compete with your components suppliers. The bottom line is they need each other. Samsung needs Apple as a customer and Apple needs Samsung as a supplier. These legal battles are just there to iron out the fine print in their contracts and licensing agreements at the end of the day.
    Couldn't agree more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (07-18-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's a hilarious fight. lmao!
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

as many screens as Apple buys them suing you for a few million is peanuts compared to how much they will have to pay you for manufacturing all their iOS device screens especially this new one for the next iPad

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't worry.....once Apple has their display and production models set in stone and they commence production......they will resume patent lawsuits against them I'm sure.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    I don't get it, how do you sue a company AND start a new contact with them at the same time?

Also, why would you manufacture parts for your biggest competitor?

So glad Im not the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation., lol.
    Thats simply the business jon. If they were to simply stop dealing with one another, they would lose billions in revenue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

This screen will finally make me actually want an iPad. Oh how my themes would look on it... *drool*