Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Store Display iPad Jailbroken, I Smell a Movement

Default Apple Store Display iPad Jailbroken, I Smell a Movement

JailBreakMe 3.0s release is probably the easiest way to jailbreak an iDevice, and the first to allow the iPad 2 to be jailbroken. I suppose then it was only a matter of time before someone was able to jailbreak one of Apple's iPad 2 in-store displays.

One of 9to5Mac's readers was able to bypass the smart sign display application using the secret gestures that aren't so secret. Once the user bypassed the smart sign display application they were able to jailbreak the iPad 2 via mobile Safari using JailbreakMe 3.0. Apple already confirmed earlier this week they would be patching the PDF exploit JailbreakMe 3.0 uses in the next update of iOS.

My question then is this. How many of these display iPad 2's will Jon Q Public Jailbreak before Apple updates iOS and kills the dream forever?

Source: 9to5Mac

I don't really see the point in this, other than to be a nuisance to the customers and Apple employees... Just let the displays be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to billchase2 For This Useful Post:

CD65 (07-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    I don't really see the point in this, other than to be a nuisance to the customers and Apple employees... Just let the displays be.
    Seriously, if you want to jailbreak your own iPad 2, go for it, but what's the point of jail breaking the ones in the store, its just a nuisance like you said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to matinm90 For This Useful Post:

CD65 (07-09-2011)

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

People enjoy being assholes. Simple as that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnthonyGiola For This Useful Post:

CD65 (07-09-2011), rain111 (07-10-2011)

most people don't even know what jailbreaking is and an icon called Cydia on an iPad screen wont mean anything to them, so it's hardly a nuisance to the general public

it is a pointless venture though

Thanks y'all. I was reading the other thread/article about the release of the new jailbreakme.com and several people commented that they were going to go to an Apple store or best buy just to jailbreak the displays. I too think it's stupid since it serves no purpose...I just figured I was in the minority considering the many posts by the ne'erdowells.

This only pushes apple to hate jailbreaking even more and now they'll just step up their battle against jailbreaking and do whatever they can to make it more difficult for us.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,051 Times in 6,140 Posts

Someone that pulls stuff like this only hurts the jailbreak community IMHO.

I agree it's pointless for it to be done. I was at a Apple store today getting my iPhone replaced. I messed around with a iPad while I waited, jailbreakme.com would not load. So I cleared the history, cache and browsed MMI.
    Guess some stores decided to block it, before they had to deal with any crap. IMHO jailbreaking a store display is a form of vandalism. It's not your device to have the right to alter it, except what Apple (the owner) allows.
    I did how ever jailbreak my iPhone.

Off Topic. I have to say, Apples customer service is top notch. My AppleCare didn't transfer correctly. Not only did they fix it, they gave me a 15.00 itunes card for the trouble.

Children will be children

it was stupid and childish and the person that did it probably thinks it was also

I find it hilarious apple didn't learn their lesson the last (two) times now and block access to the ip address for jailbreakme.com

Quote Originally Posted by ensigma View Post
    This only pushes apple to hate jailbreaking even more and now they'll just step up their battle against jailbreaking and do whatever they can to make it more difficult for us.
    Apple can pretend to hate all they/you want, but the JB community are iPhone innovators. Many iOS 5 features were first JB apps. iOS 5 notifications? Hello Lockinfo, Intelliscreen, SBSettings, MobileNotifier (this developer got HIRED by Apple). Wifi sync? JB app. They even copied the icon lol. Hell, back in the day you had to JB your iPhone to send picture messages. Video recording? JB app. Tethering, battery percentage, volume button as camera button? All first JB apps. Apple may perfect iOS integration, but JB community innovates.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cactii For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (07-09-2011), dsg (07-09-2011), szr (08-11-2011), that_girl (07-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,051 Times in 6,140 Posts

z
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactii View Post
    Apple can pretend to hate all they/you want, but the JB community are iPhone innovators. Many iOS 5 features were first JB apps. iOS 5 notifications? Hello Lockinfo, Intelliscreen, SBSettings, MobileNotifier (this developer got HIRED by Apple). Wifi sync? JB app. They even copied the icon lol. Hell, back in the day you had to JB your iPhone to send picture messages. Video recording? JB app. Tethering, battery percentage, volume button as camera button? All first JB apps. Apple may perfect iOS integration, but JB community innovates.
    Great post, I totally agree.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    I find it hilarious apple didn't learn their lesson the last (two) times now and block access to the ip address for jailbreakme.com
    But they HAVE, in almost any/every place that matters.
    One of two things happened here (my guess)
    * local store forgot to keep its firewall / blocklist rules up-to-date. Woops. Some employees are going to feel the heat.

* sneaky hacker made a mirror of the content on JBM at a new address. Local firewall / blocklist rules are irrelevant. Steve Jobs will be stamping his feet, looking for a fix asap. This might help push 4.3.4 out just a little sooner.

either way- an embarrassment to Apple's security team. Visibility counts. Hurting the pristine and immaculate image of the lovely Apple Store counts double. All the contributions of the JB community aside, the iOS security guys are not our friends. If jailbreak culture improves the quality of iOS applications and system services and ultimately helps improve the profit margin- Apple benefits from us. Steve Jobs benefits from us (even if he regards us mortal enemies).

iOS security team don't benefit from jailbreaking. It's a professional insult, and makes compliance with directives from "above" more difficult. Public stunts like the one mentioned here aren't really noticed by most Apple users, but they put greater pressure on the people who implement JB blocks to "get it right" the next time.

Edit:
    Forgot to add that, "I smell a movement" too. Fragrant, but perhaps emanating from deeper in the bowels, than that which the original poster intended.
    Last edited by raduga; 07-09-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: i smell a movement

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's really no more of a nuisance than the display models filled with tons of junk apps downloaded by random people, or the photos and videos people take.
    I'd assume stores restore to the latest version of iOS as it comes out so every few months all these "nuisance" get wiped.

And you wonder why Apple does not like JB. That was not constructive.

+2

It's last August all over again...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast