Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "iPad 2 Plus" With High-Res Screen Rumored

Default "iPad 2 Plus" With High-Res Screen Rumored

A new report from sources familiar with Apple's iPad line-up says Apple may release a new iPad this year but not the iPad 3. This new model will showcase a new high-res display with much greater pixel density however will not be 3rd generation; it has been called at this time the "iPad 2 Plus".

FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger stated that based on his watch of Apple's overseas supply chain, he can conclude that Apple could release an updated iPad 2, an "iPad 2 Plus," this year. He was tipped that component makers have received quotes from Apple suggesting a device, however no shipment or schedule in this regard has been confirmed.

Berger mentioned that Apple's migration could fix the iPad 2 Plus with a pixel density of 132 ppi to 250-300 ppi (ppi = pixels per square inch)(the current iPhone 4 is 336 ppi). Despite the certainty in his information, Berger cautions one from believing right off the bat that the iPad 2 Plus is a go. He himself would need to hear more information about the new hardware before "fully" believing Apple was migrating to this alternative.

Berger's information goes contrary to recent reports about the iPad 3 releasing this year (September-October). If he is indeed correct, Apple may release an expansion to the iPad 2 with a higher-res display. Information regarding other possible features that could be placed on this "iPad 2 Plus" are unknown.

Source(s): AppleInsider
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 07-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Can I pre order yet?

Poseidon you always make me laugh lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Guess a higher-res display means less battery life if everything else stays the same?

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

This marketing idea = FAIL
    Why would I get an existing model with a slightly better screen vs. wait for a newer faster iPad3? They should of waited and just released a 3rd gen with a retina display.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Why would I get an existing model with a slightly better screen vs. wait for a newer faster iPad3? They should of waited and just released a 3rd gen with a retina display.
    LOL do you NOT pay attention to apple's sales? You must not to ask such a silly question. IF this is legit, you will see the sales go through the roof just like ipad sales, ipad 2 sales, iphone sales ect ect.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really don't want to have to choose between a new iPhone or new iPad

I agree with this statement in some respects. It does seem odd that they would release something "mid year" that is not that much of an upgrade (in my opinion). Not to mention, if this were to happen, would the iPad 3 be delayed? Because it wouldn't make sense to sell a ton of iPad 2 Plus devices and then tease people with the iPad 3 shortly after.

I dont understand why a newer version of the ipad is coming out
    Not being funny the ipad 2 has just come out I cant see apple lauching a Plus / ipad 3 it would just be stupid... at this rate Ipad 6 will be here in 2 and a half years

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Relax. It's not very likely to actually happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple needs to work on a reason for me to actually own one of these iPads.. other than just being cool because I have one.

I see no justification for owning one.. It's just a big *** iPod.

I had a iPad 2 for 3 weeks before I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Axecaster View Post
    Guess a higher-res display means less battery life if everything else stays the same?
    Or it could mean better technology and more efficient, so better battery life perhaps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't they do the same thing with the 3GS? That happened to be my favorite phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Can I pre order yet?
    Bump that

So many kiddies on here, with their IPad 3, Ipad 6 blah, blah, blah rants. Get over it. You are not the market, nor the market movers.
    I will gladly buy one of these if and when they are available. I felt cheated that the IPad 2 was rushed to market without a retina-esque screen resolution, when evidence of such a device was compelling.
    I gave my IPad to my gf when I bought the IPad 2 and I will give that to my niece for her BDay if this is for sale in October. I think Apple's short product cycle is great for gifting; everyone feels like I gave them something new, lol.
    Also, I always felt that the screen resolution and memory capacity were lacking, so maybe the higher resolution will also bring a memory increase as well.
    And from a jailbreaking POV, it will be easier to j/b a screen modified IPad 2 than a totally new IPad 3. Buying this in October will hold me over until the late spring / early summer 2012, when the IPad 3 j/b will be available.

That's a pretty huge update for a simple "Plus" moniker. Besides, I think the A5 chip would probably need an upgrade to the integrated GPU before that happened, maybe even a quad-core processor.

Although, there's no doubt that Apple will adopt a high-resolution screen for the iPad at some point.

Lol. Apple knows that if they make a pre-existing device slightly better, people would go crazy and want to buy it.
    Last edited by teej1410; 07-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.

My guess the resolution will be 1440 x 1080
    This resolution maintain the ratio of iPad 1/2 and double the density.
    "iPad 2 Plus with a pixel density of 132 ppi to 250-300"
    132 x 1.977 = 261, so it's in range :-)

btw, forget about FHD.
    Cause to maintain the ratio it will have to be 1920 x 1440.
    It's 3.5 the density (462). higher than the iPhone 4.
    But I won't mind a 13" iPad with that resolution ;-)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

But will it fly like the new MB Airs? That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    But will it fly like the new MB Airs? That is the question.
    You can make any device fly. Just download and use the Discus app. jk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xpate View Post
    Bump that

So many kiddies on here, with their IPad 3, Ipad 6 blah, blah, blah rants. Get over it. You are not the market, nor the market movers.
    I will gladly buy one of these if and when they are available. I felt cheated that the IPad 2 was rushed to market without a retina-esque screen resolution, when evidence of such a device was compelling.
    I gave my IPad to my gf when I bought the IPad 2 and I will give that to my niece for her BDay if this is for sale in October. I think Apple's short product cycle is great for gifting; everyone feels like I gave them something new, lol.
    Also, I always felt that the screen resolution and memory capacity were lacking, so maybe the higher resolution will also bring a memory increase as well.
    And from a jailbreaking POV, it will be easier to j/b a screen modified IPad 2 than a totally new IPad 3. Buying this in October will hold me over until the late spring / early summer 2012, when the IPad 3 j/b will be available.
    This works well in your case but not everybody is willing to cough up 500 bucks for an upgrade that should have been integrated in the first place. On a side note I find the iPad 2 memory to be very comfortable, don't know why it would need an upgrade but I wouldnt mind one at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast