+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Infamous Hacker Pleads Guilty to Serious AT&T, iPad Hack

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On Thursday, infamous hacker Daniel Spitler pleaded guilty to two felony charges in a Newark, New Jersey federal court (one count of conspiracy to gain unauthorized access to Internet-connected computers
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Infamous Hacker Pleads Guilty to Serious AT&T, iPad Hack

On Thursday, infamous hacker Daniel Spitler pleaded guilty to two felony charges in a Newark, New Jersey federal court (one count of conspiracy to gain unauthorized access to Internet-connected computers and one count of identity theft). These very serious charges carry with them a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine - each.

Spitler, however, wasn't alone as justice was served Thursday. Hacker Andrew Auernheimer was also brought up on charges and is currently in plea bargain negotiations. Published reports indicate that Spitler's plea agreement recommends a twelve to eighteen month sentence.

"Daniel Spitler's guilty plea is a timely reminder of the consequences of treating criminal activity as a competitive sport," said US Attorney Paul J. Fishman following news of Spitler's guilty plea today.

Both hackers are famously tied to the incident that "embarrassed Apple and AT&T" by helping to find, distribute, and publish personal information belonging to more than 120,000 iPad users. In the process, the duo delivered global notoriety to the hacking group Goatse Security.

"According to reports and court filings," IDG reports, "they wrote a script that guessed the ICC-ID numbers (used to identify the iPad's SIM card) and then queried AT&T's website until it returned an e-mail address. Spitler had been accused of co-authoring this software, called 'iPad 3G Account Slurper.'"

"The magnitude of this crime affected everyone from high ranking members of the White House staff to the average American citizen," says Michael B. Ward, Special Agent in charge of the FBI's Newark Division. "It's important to note that it wasn't just the hacking itself that was criminal, but what could potentially occur utilizing the pilfered information."

Source: ComputerWorld

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope they get what they deserve.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

Hang them, lol. J/k

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

for real.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

They revealed a bunch of email addresses and exposed a flaw in Apple's security. Big deal. "Utilizing the pilfered information" is no different than obtaining their name and email address some other way and doing something nefarious with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

25 years? i love america, but that isn't justice. the max rape sentence is like 10 years.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

They will probably get probation if there is nothing else on their record...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

it was stupid what they did. they should've covered their tracks behind them

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Fun stuff! Too bad they couldn't just use it on someone they knew as a test... potential ace up their sleeve.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    25 years? i love america, but that isn't justice. the max rape sentence is like 10 years.
    its 5 years dude

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I justice system is screwed up, these guys could not even see jail time if things are in the right place for them! I'm impressed with their abilities to hack, but what they did was wrong. Hope they get at least 12 months.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Totally bull****. Posting made up UDIDs to a form AT&T was too stupid to protect is not hacking. Anything they get is just bullying from a large corporation that got embarrassed by being caught with their pants down.

Green Apple
    Thanks

They went too far...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itzthestoff View Post
    They went too far...
    They went to far?
    Chinese hackers do this kinda stuff daily. You just never hear about it. I applaud them for exposing a flaw that needed fixed. In the long run they ARE helping you unlike the government who's just out to get you. Knowledge is power. Wake up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can understand, the legal system IS flawed and that is the point. some crimes/offenses make people serve more years than others and its messed up

btw M$ apparently hires all their hackers...I think..or some/most of them. but i think thats just M$ trying to avoid more of a problem

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Our justice system is just sick. Anything, PUT THEM IN JAIL, sneeze in front of a cop = PUT THEM IN JAIL. Our tax monies are all going to build more and more jails. A day will come when our country will be in the similar mess like in 70s.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't usually like to open my mouth on things like this, but people like this sicken me. I hope they rot in jail for years.