+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Study Shows iPads Are WiFi Consumption Monsters

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to the findings of a new survey by Meraki, a cloud services provider, iPad users have an appetite for WiFi like a sumo wrestler at an all-you-can-eat buffet. iPads
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Study Shows iPads Are WiFi Consumption Monsters

According to the findings of a new survey by Meraki, a cloud services provider, iPad users have an appetite for WiFi like a sumo wrestler at an all-you-can-eat buffet. iPads use significantly more Wi-Fi data than the typical mobile device. How much more, you ask? The average iPad, Meraki found, consumes over 400% more Wi-Fi data than the average Android, iPod, and iPhone.

To produce the survey's results, Meraki anonymously polled better than 100,000 randomly selected devices accessing "general use, public, and educational Wi-Fi networks across the US." Meraki says the survey looked at bandwidth usage and operating system popularity over selected periods in 2010 and 2011.

The study also found that mobile platforms are rapidly overtaking desktops in terms of devices plugged into Wi-Fi networks, just as Apple announced earlier this month at the kick-off to WWDC. IDC maintains that mobile-device shipments will hit - and likely exceed - 462 million next year. In 2012, PC shipments are currently projected to come in at approximately 448 million.

Meraki says iOS and Android together now account for 58% of Wi-Fi devices, compared to 33% just twelve months go. The iPhone, however, is now the single most popular Wi-Fi device on the market with a 32% share.

Source: Meraki

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What a completely stupid study. Its comparing a device that is supposed to be used for the web, music and whatever else and comes in a wifi only model to phones and an ipod.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Only 200 mb a month?! I use 5x that daily

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    What a completely stupid study. Its comparing a device that is supposed to be used for the web, music and whatever else and comes in a wifi only model to phones and an ipod.
    its comparing wifi devices...i dont get what your rant is about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (06-24-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't get the rant either, but its still a stupid study. i did not need a study to tell me any of that. at all.

Thanks

news flash - laptops use more wifi data than toasters! click my link for more info... and so i can make ad dollars. Guess i should have made that a macbook so as to guarantee some trolling.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its like comparing a hybrid to a V10 truck. First of all Most ipads are running on wifi alone. Id rather use my unlimited 3g than the wifi at a mcd (public wifi) because my 3g is faster than a DSL line running 5-x computers at that time. Also most ppl use their ipads at universities because they use them as laptops to take notes do homework and stuff. This is what i believe the rant was about, just because your device is wifi capable it doesnt mean it is its primary function.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I use as much as the iPads do on my iPhone. Good thing Verizon has unlimited 3g!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wow. Stupid studies like this make me want to dropkick a bunny rabbit. Congratulations.....the iPad is being used for one of its intended purposes. Want a cookie?

What's the next pointless study?

"Studies show that white iPhone owners are more likely to eat Jalapeño Cheddar Cheetos, Drive with their right hand on the Wheel, buy Reeboks, purchase hazel-colored contact lenses and shower with a blue lufa sponge!"????