+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hack Gives iPad 3G Voice Calling Capability

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
So much for the iPad not being able to make real true-to-life phone calls over a cellular network. iPhoneIslam, the same guys who developed the FaceTime 3G app, have released
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hack Gives iPad 3G Voice Calling Capability
    So much for the iPad not being able to make real true-to-life phone calls over a cellular network.

iPhoneIslam, the same guys who developed the FaceTime 3G app, have released a hack today that allows 3G iPad users to make voice-calls and send text messages over a 3G network.

Users will need to use a 3G sim card (the standard data SIM AT&T provides iPad owners wont work), and then download the app from the Cydia store for $20. Kinda steep, but could be worth it if this is something you've been dying to do.

I'm not sure I would ever need to use this function with my iPad 2, but if there is some crazy scenario where my iPhone is dead, no one around me has a phone I can use, and I need to make a dire phone call it would definitely come in handy.

Here is a link to the iPhoneIslam repo if you don't already have it. If you do download it, let us know how awesome you look holding a nearly 10" tablet up do your head. Or maybe you just used a bluetooth headset and looked like a tool already. Or you have headphones.

Actually there are a lot of ways to make calls on a tablet that aren't too embarrassing.

Source: iPhoneIslam

Thanks

wow... ridiculously overpriced! good luck to that dev.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

awesome! makes me want an ipad even more now. when will openoffice offer something for ipad/iphone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 588 Posts

saw that exact video like 2 weeks ago

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I highly doubt that it's overpriced... but i'm sure it will go down in price... This is the evolution of jailbreak developement and i like it!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nice, but only available for original iPad, & way to much money. Not to many people carry a iPad & no phone.

What's Jailbreak? JesseScottsdale's Avatar
    Thanks

Great fit for my first generation iPad I have in my Jeep..
    YouTube "iPad in a jeep"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to try it out on my iPad but not for $20 bucks. Way to steep! I could maybe see $10 but definitely, not $20.

I'd like to try it out on my iPad but not for $20 bucks. That's way to steep! I could maybe see $10 but definitely not $20.
    Last edited by Go Gators; 06-13-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks

I run Talkatone on my iPad. No SIM card required, just a free Google Voice account. I make calls from it when I'm too lazy to make a call from my laptop when cell service is shite in my apartment. It's novelty, but gets the job done.

Talkatone - free calls and text via WiFi or 3G

And it costs Free-ninety-nine.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    in the entire blog and the comments, not one person has mentioned/asked the name of the hack.
    ok, its from the iphoneislam devs.
    but what is it called?
    is this the same app that they had released a demo of 2 weeks ago which turns the ipad into a full fledged phone?

What's Jailbreak? JesseScottsdale's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Its Called Phoneitipad
    Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
    in the entire blog and the comments, not one person has mentioned/asked the name of the hack.
    ok, its from the iphoneislam devs.
    but what is it called?
    is this the same app that they had released a demo of 2 weeks ago which turns the ipad into a full fledged phone?
    If you click on the link beside SOURCE: it brings you to the page.
    iPhoneIslam - PhoneItiPad
    - Its Him -

Banned
    Thanks

Why did on the front page it said 10 replies but when I come into the thread it says 2 replys but I can only see 1 reply?
    I also posted a few hours before and its not there.

The whole site is worse with the new setup.
    button labels missing, borders non existent, posts missing, buttons not working or really big.

I'm a noob/novice when it comes to web sites and my sites are better than this.

Thanks

All they did was package up Apple's copyrighted apps from the iPhone with the proper private frameworks and settings and put it up for sale on Cydia. They didn't even come up with a bluetooth-enabling tweak so that people who gets this don't have to hold it right next to their ears. Doesn't that seem like the functionality that is worth $20? The ****, man.

I'm not handing them my $20 for this worthless crap, and neither should any of you.

Brr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris102192 View Post
    wow... ridiculously overpriced! good luck to that dev.
    OR you can just download "Line2" from the app store and you've got a real number anywhere in the us/Canada for like less than 10 bucks a month. I've been using it for about six months and it really rocks.

Banned
    Thanks

[sarcasm]
    Wait, so no MMS, no bluetooth headset (since iPad doesn't support them), no FaceTime, and I have to uninstall the very apps from Cydia that provide that functionality because this app conflicts with them? All for just $20.00? Score!
    [/sarcasm]

Pardon the sarcasm, but seriously, what's the point?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Worth my 20 dlr. My iPad1 32GB with WiFi+3G and using iOS 4.3.3. jailbroken has been sold at high value due to this PhoneItIpad Cydia app. Not only Phone and SMS, Facetime too. No need for Internet for Phone and SMS, my iPad become a true phone. Internet is required for Facetime. Recommended.

Thanks

If this cost a couple of bucks I think most people with an iPad would buy it just for Lulz - as it is at 20 bucks you'd have to really want it, and I'm not sure that many people do.

Nice as a concept but not really something many people have a lot of use for I wouldn't have thought.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Many people don't get it. The cydia phoneitipad app makes iPad1 with iOS 4.3.3 become a true phone. You need a microSIM with voice and SMS plan besides data plan. I found it a different way compare to other apps. Even though the steep price, people with iPad1 3G can now just bring it anywhere. No need to bring another phone.

Thanks

I can see the novelty factor, but are you saying you actually use your iPad as a phone? In public?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.