+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OnLive Brings Cloud Based Gaming to iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default OnLive Brings Cloud Based Gaming to iPad

OnLive announced today that it will be bringing its cloud-based gaming service to the iPad in the autumn of 2011. Currently, OnLive has about 100 games to choose from, giving users unlimited gameplay for $9.99 a month. OnLive’s entire library of games will be available to iPad users when it is released.

The current version of the OnLive Viewer app for iPad doesn’t support gameplay as of yet. It only gives you a window to watch games in action as they are being played. This will change, however, when OnLive upgrades the service to include iPad support.

According to OnLive, “the OnLive Player App allows the tablet to be used as a touch and motion controller combined with an HDTV (or PC/Mac® if preferred), and allows both synchronized or independent video on the tablet and HDTV screen, enabling combined gameplay with tablet and HDTV, or separate gameplay on tablet and HDTV.” The OnLive Universal Wireless Controller will also be available and is compatible with the iPad version of the service as well.

OnLive has not been able to offer the service to mobile devices like the iPad before now due to the fact that none of their games were designed to included support for MultiTouch screens. Most of their games have now been rewritten to support mobile devices with touch screens.

If you’re looking for a little multiplayer action, then OnLive has you covered. They state, “Full voice chat-enabled multiplayer is supported, both in-room and with others throughout the world, providing a complete multiplayer experience whether at home or on the go with a mobile device.”

So far the demos look impressive. OnLive is well positioned to give hardcore gamers what they really want: the best games available regardless of platform. As impressive as the iPad 2 is, it can hardly compare to the power of a dedicated gaming console or PC.

With OnLive, gamers can play the best looking games the iPad has ever seen. Although, Infinity Blade still stacks up pretty well. Hopefully, OnLive will expand their service in the future to include support for the iPhone as well. Let the games begin.

Source: OnLive

What's Jailbreak? JesseScottsdale's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait!! Battlefield 3 anyone?

Thanks

Onlive is freakin amazing! They have huge sales like every week and I got like 5 games for $5 a piece including NBA 2K11 and mafia 2.
    Playing this over 4g LTE mifi in the car with my iPad strapped to the back of the headrest with two universal controllers playing xbox 360 games will be freaking amazing!!

Check out actual E3 announcement for more coming features:
    YouTube - ‪Steve Perlman - OnLive E3 presentation‬‏
    Including full browser with FLASH FOR iPAD that runs better than any desktop computer because of onlives HUGE 10 gigabit servers doing all the processing
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 06-09-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks

That seriously looks awesome!! People have been talking about how good a platform iPad is for gaming well this amplifies it 20 times!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseScottsdale View Post
    Can't wait!! Battlefield 3 anyone?
    That and Modern Warfare 3!

Thanks

i bought my first full onlive game this week (current promo is 100% coupon for whatever you spend from now till saturday). I still cannot believe how they can make it feel like i'm playing on a local console when the game is actually running hundreds of miles from my living room. I play some in the living room but when the wife wants to watch tv i save and launch it from my laptop and keep playing. Can't wait till i can just prop up my ipad and start playing. haha.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    i bought my first full onlive game this week (current promo is 100% coupon for whatever you spend from now till saturday). I still cannot believe how they can make it feel like i'm playing on a local console when the game is actually running hundreds of miles from my living room. I play some in the living room but when the wife wants to watch tv i save and launch it from my laptop and keep playing. Can't wait till i can just prop up my ipad and start playing. haha.
    Thanks for the heads up on this promo!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    "The OnLive Universal Wireless Controller will also be available and is compatible with the iPad version of the service as well."
    Does this mean we can play Assassins Creed Brotherhood on the iPad with the Onlive controller? If so I'm gonna get that controller.

Thanks

Can't wait I've put up my XBox & playstation a year ago hoping they would bring something like this to life. Who wants to buy games or CD's anymore from the movie rental or game stores when you can download it to your account and play when and wherever you want. I can't wait to play Lego star wars and cod3 on my iPad hooked up to my 50" HDTV playing using the online gaming controller this is going to make people think before the go out to buy a new gaming system, me I would prefer a tablet baised device that I can take with me anyware I want then plug or stream it to my HDTV awesome dosnt give it ant justic of how this is a game changer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Does this mean we can play Assassins Creed Brotherhood on the iPad with the Onlive controller? If so I'm gonna get that controller.
    It appears to me that the controller works on 2.4ghz (like Logitech mice for instance) and would thus be on a proprietary band, not an open standard like Bluetooth. Out of the box, appears it would not be compatible.

Doesn't mean they won't release an Apple Connector wireless receiver for it at some point in the future though. Debating picking up a console on their 100% deal right now for that purpose. It's $10 for a console and wireless controller, so I probably will. This would easily be the best wireless controller available for iPad if they release a dongle.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Green Apple Jamesandthegiantkeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has not yet approved an onLive app in which you can play games. Could someone port the app for android into cydia for us jailbreakers? I'd really like to play onLive on iPad.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I suspect Apple will never accept an app that allows selling or renting games without going thru the appstore, unless a good financial agreement ;-)

Green Apple Jamesandthegiantkeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya that's why I think they should put it in cydia. However I do think it's hypocritical for apple not to approve it because I think the model is similar to other apps. If you could purchase games on onlives website then play in the app, that would be the same as the kindle app, or if you could only do the subscription playpack, that would be the same as the Netflix app or Hulu+.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I gave it a try, and am not impressed at all. Only PC games there, which can all be run on my pc. I was expecting some console games (ps3, xbox etc..) And the downsizing of graphics does not allow to read tips or texts correctly on screen. I gave up after 5 minutes trying a game. Nice effort, but i will wait for more exclusive content.