Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3 Could Contain A6 Quad Core Processor

Default iPad 3 Could Contain A6 Quad Core Processor

Just like any new upcoming Apple product, the rumors and news begins early. On top of this, the respective "information detectives" ravage for any piece of new information all the way up until the second the device or product releases. In the case of the iPad 3, speculated to be released in September (or holiday season), the media keeps unfolding new tidbits about the features and capabilities of this mysterious upcoming iPad 3 device. One recent break gives a little insight on the possibility of Apple's new A6 processor.

Linley Gwenapp, senior editor for Microprocessor Report, speculates that the iPad 3 will contain the A6 quad core chip sometime next year. Gwenapp states his position with two credible reasons for his thinking:

1. Revenue - due to the many units of iDevices sold (sold 90 million iDevices this year and is expected to sell 146 million units the next year), Apple is in a strong position to invest money in expanding chip technology without hurting its initial capital. The initial difference in cost between chip technologies is minimal so Apple can regain its footing despite increased costs.
    2. Competition - with companies such as Samsung and Nvidia looking to push innovation to the next level, it would be a wise move for Apple to take the plunge and pull ahead of the competition early in the game.

One key note to point out is that the A6 chip, if truly developed and placed in the iPad 3, will be solely for iPad (tablet) devices as the first initial A6 chip will be too large for the iPhone/iPod Touch Gwenapp states. According to media information, the A6 chip will be quad core. The computing power will increase dramatically between the A4 and A5 chip designs. The question now is when will the A6 chip be implemented?

Source(s): Barrons Blog - Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-05-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Overkill much?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

dhamien (06-05-2011)

1 GHz single core processors are super speedy already, can you imagine how fast 1 GHz quad core processors can be? i still feel that the iPhone 3Gs processor is fast enough for day to day use...

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Overkill much?
    The comments section seems to be buggy as well.

But back to the topic - Apple needs to give the iPad a leg up to try and rope people in like me who think that the iPad is a waste of money because its basically just a big iPod Touch that can't make phone calls.

By beefing up the processing power and HDD capacity, Apple will effectively push the iPad closer and closer to practical until it actually becomes practical. I still do not think the tablet market is practical for average users; ie, people who do not have exuberant amounts of money to waste.

JMO

tim

Banned
    Thanks

Id rather have a device with either a faster dual core like the upcoming Texas Instruments OMAP4 1.8Ghz or 2 dual core processors. jumping to a quad is too soon, there's so much more you can get out of a dual core right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Id rather have a device with either a faster dual core like the upcoming Texas Instruments OMAP4 1.8Ghz or 2 dual core processors. jumping to a quad is too soon, there's so much more you can get out of a dual core right now.
    I have to agree. Very few apps are optimised for the dual core processor in the iPad 2, even though the majority of them probably don't need it. Let's get it done properly for the dual core first.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Overkill much?
    I find it hard to follow the articles and forums.. messes with my eyes.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

I love new technology and enhancements but there is usually at least one or two things missing...In this case we all know what to expect BATTERY issues!! Apple has yet to address this one. We've seen articles on Modmyi last year stating apple is secretly working on battery technology that can last 30 hours and all of that but we've yet to see anything remotely close. I'd like to be able to use my smart phone for a full 8-12 hours without having to charge it...now thats smart hahaha! So bring the dual or quad core but also bring better battery life as it only makes sense

They need to concentrate on making powerful, compact GPUs so they can put retina displays in the iPad!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It could contain A7 or A8 Quad Core..maybe the A4......we won't know til it comes out Also I thought I liked the new layout on MMi but all the white is just too much! At least gray out the background a little, let us know who wrote the article on the main page, after posting a comment take us to where it is, and let us jump to pages at the top and the bottom (page numbers). Still has a lot of work.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 06-05-2011 at 11:35 AM.

I rather see toned down processors that use less battery. If the quad uses the same amount I guess that's fine and like the other said HD capacity needs to get over 100GB All I can see use for an ipad outside of my iphone is watching movies and it lacks in space for that.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    It could contain A7 or A8 Quad Core..maybe the A4......we won't know til it comes out Also I thought I liked the new layout on MMi but all the white is just too much! At least gray out the background a little, let us know who wrote the article on the main page, after posting a comment take us to where it is, and let us jump to pages at the top and the bottom (page numbers). Still has a lot of work.
    Why would they have the A4 chip in the iPad 3 if the iPad 2 has the A5 chip. I'm 100% sure they wouldn't want to downgrade hardware.

Please stop getting off topic about the look of MMi. The first comment with the opinion of MMi is just a signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Overkill much?
    Here's the thing though; the capabilities that this could potentially open up will be awesome. Although I can't think necessarily of any particular advancements, this technology will help the iPad continue to incorporate even more powerful features.

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    They need to concentrate on making powerful, compact GPUs so they can put retina displays in the iPad!!!!
    I completely agree; a retina screen would make the iPad much more stunning. The video and display quality would be such a helpful point to the already very well designed iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Why would they have the A4 chip in the iPad 3 if the iPad 2 has the A5 chip. I'm 100% sure they wouldn't want to downgrade hardware.

Please stop getting off topic about the look of MMi. The first comment with the opinion of MMi is just a signature.
    Of course they wouldn't downgrade..I was trying to make a point. Why can't we make comments about the site? Kyle and Cody asked us too, is all towards making it better, so what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Why can't we make comments about the site? Kyle and Cody asked us too, is all towards making it better, so what's the big deal?
    Comments and suggestions regarding the new MMi layout are appreciated. No doubt. However, threads that have nothing to do with it at all should have focused comments regarding the topic at hand. It is not that he was discouraging chat about it at all, it is just the wrong place to be chatting about it.

Your comments and suggestions will be better heard if you posted in or started a new thread that was dedicated to just the MMi layout suggestions.

wow, a few months after the iPad 2 comes out and people are already talking about rumours about the iPad 3 lol