+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Marine Corps Aviators Reject Paper Embrace iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Marine Corps Aviators Reject Paper Embrace iPads

It started last November with a single Cobra pilot. He figured out how to load digital maps onto the iPad and word spread. Quickly.

Before using the iPad identifying landmarks from the air was an exercise in patience. Paper charts and grids filled the tiny cockpits, and required additional training to decipher. Being able to click through a digital interface, and search for compounds of landmarks in Afghanistan has proved infinitely easier than sifting through the 50 pounds of paper pilots used to carry on every flight.

Coordinating efforts with troops on the ground is now more accurate, easier and faster. The iPad has removed much of guesswork involved in identifying compounds. Before a vast array of maps was needed to interact with the often international ground forces. You can imagine the confusion working with completely different mapping systems.

"It's all about sharing situational awareness and using the iPad is much better than using a paper chart. It takes five minutes to teach someone how to use the thing its so intuitive and easy, you don't really have to think about it." - Capt John Belsha
    Alaskan Airlines, and the Marines have switched over to iPad base flight manuals and maps, it seems like only a matter of time until the rest of the winged world changes over.

Source: Shephard

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry if this is off-topic but I want to tip the staff of news but cant find the link. Anyways, installer.app (remember, from the 1.x and 2.x days) has been ported to iOS 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Installer app? Who cares.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    Sorry if this is off-topic but I want to tip the staff of news but cant find the link. Anyways, installer.app (remember, from the 1.x and 2.x days) has been ported to iOS 4.
    WOW that's cool, but anyways it's pretty cool that a lot of pilots use iPads for navigation

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

repo?
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

yey!! Nothing like unsecured maps with no encryption, secret mission is secret no more!!

Thanks

yeah where can we get it from?

oh and the ipad idea is cool too

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    yey!! Nothing like unsecured maps with no encryption, secret mission is secret no more!!
    Orders are secure. iPads provide quick to maps. Maps that were on paper and not in any way secure before as they are "paper". Now they have quick access to mapping rather than flipping through 100s of pages of maps to find the correct one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    repo?
    http://repo.fear-dev.co.cc

It's under the Section (or Category) called "Fear-Dev Packages.
    Last edited by ericwall; 06-05-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Replaced Piracy-Affiliated Link