+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rolling Stone Publisher Blasts Apple and Publishers That Flock to the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Once Apple successfully positioned its iPad as the future of e-reading devices that would soon package and present all the content we used to absorb from the written page, publishers
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Rolling Stone Publisher Blasts Apple and Publishers That Flock to the iPad

Once Apple successfully positioned its iPad as the future of e-reading devices that would soon package and present all the content we used to absorb from the written page, publishers large and small began not only flocking to the Apple tablet, but also bending over backwards to please the Cupertino, California e-content kingpins.

Well, not everyone it turns out, was in love with the iPad. In a scathing new interview with AdAge, Jann Wenner - the co-founder of Rolling Stone - has a different attitude about the popular tablet. More specifically, he had harsh words for publishers gone gaga for the iPad.

Rather than kiss up to Apple, Wenner says publishers who run with open arms to Apple do so out of "sheer insanity and insecurity and fear." According to Jann Wenner, any publisher going out of his or her way to accommodate the iPad is "crazy." What's the logic? "They're going to get less money for it from advertisers," Wenner said. "Right now it costs a fortune to convert your magazine, to program it, to get all the things you have to do on there. And they're not selling."

"I think that they're prematurely rushing and showing a little confidence and faith in what they've really got, their real asset, which is the magazine itself, which is still a great commodity," Wenner argues. "It's a small additive; it's not the new business."

Although there's no denying the iPad's popularity itself, Wenner is correct about magazines optimized for the iPad. For now, they're not big sellers. But, then again, markets are slow to embrace rapid change. And so there's still a good chance that the magazine rack closest to you may become extinct within ten years, if not much sooner.

Source: AdAge Magazine

Thanks

Magazines themselves are not selling well. Maybe he hasn't heard yet. People don't want to pay $6 for something they can get online for free. Not only that, but better info too. Other opinions. More pictures. Video. All for free. Know what I hear when I hear Hollywood, writers, musicians whining about digital content? Dinosaurs, pissed off that they can no longer rape us for their products.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    Magazines themselves are not selling well. Maybe he hasn't heard yet. People don't want to pay $6 for something they can get online for free. Not only that, but better info too. Other opinions. More pictures. Video. All for free. Know what I hear when I hear Hollywood, writers, musicians whining about digital content? Dinosaurs, pissed off that they can no longer rape us for their products.
    hahaha so true

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think all his BS is entirely accurate for starters. Personally I'd rather read all my favorite magazines on the iPad and save some trees they will sell if the "right" deal is offered and it will cost less to make an electronic version of the magazine. He provides no details to how it would cost the company more. This guy sounds like a lone ranger about ready to go down in a blaze