Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SoundJaw - iPad Sound Booster Prototype [MMi Exclusive]

Default SoundJaw - iPad Sound Booster Prototype [MMi Exclusive]

A new upcoming accessory called the SoundJaw is expected to greatly enhance the sound quality and increase the hearing distance on the iPad. Designed by Matthew McLachlan and specifically for the iPad 2 (but works on the iPad 1), this tiny accessory funnels the sound directly from the speakers out and into a more organized direction. Whether you're in the car, outside, in the wilderness etc., SoundJaw will give you the ability to listen or watch a movie with clearer and louder sound.

SoundJaw is just a simple "mouth" piece that clips onto your iPad where the speakers are located. When used, it can make a large difference in terms of the loudness of the sound and of clarity. Due to its size, it is very portable and in no way inhibits the functionality of the iPad when in use. And for those who use Smart Covers for the iPad 2, the SoundJaw works alongside them without issues. Expected to be released in June of this year SoundJaw will re-define how iPad users listen to music and watch movies in the most obscure of places. For those who own the iPhone 4, it works with it as well.

SoundJaw has circulated the internet quite a bit with a review from Wired, Gizmodo, Business Insider, and others. It has even hit local news (Fox 31 Denver). The folks behind Soundjaw were kind enough to give us here at ModMyi an exclusive with the opportunity to test one of their prototypes. The video below showcases an official test and overview of how SoundJaw works. We're excited to bring you a look at something in a way no one else has!

Summary:

• Portability - due to its small size, it's easily transported and doesn't inhibit usage of your iPad.
    • Structure - although this prototype is not made by the same material, the final product will be made of strong plastic and will be sturdy. The composition of the prototype as is is strong so the plastic will make it even more resilient.
    • Design - the shape and functionality is amazing. Created with an SLA machine and 3D file, the SoundJaw is tuned perfectly and the mold for the final product will ensure that the quality will be the same for every SoundJaw.
    • Sound quality - without the SoundJaw, the sound is not focused whatsoever and causes sound to spread in different directions. With the SoundJaw on, it focuses the sound waves and brings out a richer, fuller sound. Not only is the sound amplified but it encompasses high and low frequencies and makes clarity much clearer.
    • Compatibility - the SoundJaw worked perfectly with and without the Smart Cover for the iPad 2 and the iPad 1 (untested by me) works also. This gives the SoundJaw more range and capabilities for future support.

Overall, SoundJaw is extremely innovative and has ton of potential. All the following specifications and features really boost up its credibility and functionality. More information about its cost, release, and other such information will be out soon.

As it is an entrepreneurial venture, you can help get SoundJaw started. Through the Kickstarter website, you can pledge to SoundJaw to get the project underway. There are different rewards and recognitions depending on how much you pledge. If you would be willing to pledge, visit SoundJaw's Kickstarter profile and see how you can involved. Any contribution, large or small, is greatly appreciated.

For more information about SoundJaw, visit the SoundJaw website and its profile on Kickstarter.

Source(s) Matthew McLachlan, SoundJaw, SoundJaw - Kickstarter, Wired, Gizmodo, Business Insider
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 05-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

good idea, but i think it has been done before.

sometimes, i get tired of cupping my hand around the speaker to direct the sound. depending on the price, it might be worth it.

Thanks
    Why is it so difficult to get MMi writers that can spell simple words like "opportunity" correctly and use "it's" and "its" properly?

Every single one of Mr. Tucker's posts have some sort of grammatical error in them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I would buy one. I know exactly what he is talking about. I sometimes cup the speaker to direct the sound towards my face instead of who is sitting next to me. I think its kinda a silly thing that apple built the speaker like that. If they could implement something like this into the body of the ipad without it being dented, i think it would be a vast improvement. Anyways. Where can i buy this???

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

chinadoll58 (05-26-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by JAEGERBOMB View Post
    Why is it so difficult to get MMi writers that can spell simple words like "opportunity" correctly and use "it's" and "its" properly?

Every single one of Mr. Tucker's posts have some sort of grammatical error in them.
    It is not my intention to do as such. Thank you for letting me know. You're also most welcome to refer to me as just "Josh."

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    I would buy one. I know exactly what he is talking about. I sometimes cup the speaker to direct the sound towards my face instead of who is sitting next to me. I think its kinda a silly thing that apple built the speaker like that. If they could implement something like this into the body of the ipad without it being dented, i think it would be a vast improvement. Anyways. Where can i buy this???
    The links above will show you. SoundJaw has not been realized yet to the public.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 05-25-2011 at 04:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Who listens to their iPad for its sound quality? If I want to listen to it in quality, I either use headphone or external speakers. No matter what you clip onto the speaker, its mono, and its not in any way high fidelity. It's a great speaker for what it's designed for, but it's surely not audiophile quality.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

chinadoll58 (05-26-2011)

Thanks

Awesome!! I've been waiting for something like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, but every iPad I've ever owned is inside an otter box case, kind makes that add on useless. But an E for effort though! :-)

i think they need to work on the appearance of it a little bit