+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bay Bridge Explorer App Uses Unreal Engine to Prep Drivers for Road Changes

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Who would have thought that the next app to use the Unreal Engine would not be a game, but instead be a tool to help drivers adjust to a new
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Bay Bridge Explorer App Uses Unreal Engine to Prep Drivers for Road Changes

Who would have thought that the next app to use the Unreal Engine would not be a game, but instead be a tool to help drivers adjust to a new route? Bay Bridge Explorer is a new free app that is compatible with all iOS devices and gives drivers a chance to see what the new route will look like when construction is complete after the Memorial Day weekend.

The Bay Bridge has been undergoing major seismic upgrades for the last few years and an entirely new section is currently under construction that should be complete by 2013. Earthquakes are unavoidable in this part of the country and the Bay Bridge is a vital thoroughfare. This new app is a great way for drivers to demo the new freeway before the changes go into effect.

Currently, the Bay Bridge Explorer app is only available for iOS, but it should be available for more mobile devices in the near future. The graphics of the app are quite good, but that is to be expected with an app that is based on the Unreal Engine. Infinity Blade is probably the most well known example of an Unreal Engine based iOS app.

Before and After Images

If the Bay Bridge Explorer app were simply designed to be a driving game, it would be pretty horrible. You can’t go over 60MPH, crash into anything, fly off into the water or even go backwards. However, this is not what it’s been designed to do, it’s not a racing game, but a driving simulator. It’s intended to give motorists a better visual idea of what the new lanes will look like after the alterations are complete. The Bay Bridge sees about 250,000 drivers a day and this app gives iOS users a chance to practice the route before the change goes into effect.

Although Bay Bridge Explorer is based on an outstanding game engine, it is not going to win any gaming awards and that’s ok. As a simulator, however, it gets the job done and delivers some above average graphics along the way. The developers of the app promise to keep the app updated as construction continues throughout the year. It’s nice to see Caltrans embrace new technology to help get the word out regarding changes to the bridge. Hopefully, more civil engineers will be able to release similar apps in the future as well. For tech savvy users this is a much better way to get the message out about the bridge than traditional TV ads. Now, I only wish that traffic on the bridge moved as quickly in real life as it does in the app.

(skip to 3min 24 sec. for iOS info)

Source: Bay Bridge Info
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-18-2011 at 11:29 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

Marcitectual.design (05-19-2011), NakedFaerie (05-19-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, very nice! Something I could possibly use.
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

in the first sentence you misspelled Unreal, not trolling just giving you a heads up There's also a new game using the Unreal Engine called Castlerama. They have a free demo just like infinity blade/Epic Citadel.
    Last edited by smsjrtato; 05-19-2011 at 02:51 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smsjrtato For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (05-18-2011), NakedFaerie (05-19-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smsjrtato View Post
    in the first sentence you misspelled Unreal, not trolling just giving you a heads up
    Fixed. Thanks

MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Thanks for fixing the typo for me. I hate it when that happens.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smsjrtato View Post
    in the first sentence you misspelled Unreal, not trolling just giving you a heads up Theirs also a new game using the Unreal Engine called Castlerama. They have a free demo just like infinity blade/Epic Citadel.
    I can't help myself, I have to point out that you misspelled "There's" in your second sentence. No offense, it's just funny.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dveer For This Useful Post:

smsjrtato (05-19-2011), vinaygoel2000 (05-19-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In before the media claims this can be used for terrorist research.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Um, turn around.

WTF are you doing? The bridge is not ready!

SHHIIITTTTTTT OH MY GOD!!

Oh you made it.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow fail, for some reason it freezes on the first icon for me. not surprising though, alot of apps are screwed up since the 4.3.3 unteather. oh well,