+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Samsung 10.1" Display Has More Pixels Than 27" iMac

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by zoso10 Yeah that's the huge problem; Swanson is completely right. We have the ability to make GPU that can support high resolution like that in small devices
    My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Yeah that's the huge problem; Swanson is completely right. We have the ability to make GPU that can support high resolution like that in small devices but it's extremely expensive and difficult to mass produce, not to mention eats up the battery.

Oh and let me do the math on the display: 27" iMac with a 16:9 ratio gives us 23.54" by 13.24". The formula for pixels is simply: inches*DPI = pixels. So multiply each side by 300 DPI and we get a resolution of: 7060x3971.

Doing the same math on a 10.1" screen we see that the actual resolution for 300 DPI is 2569x1605. So we're actually getting gipped 27245 pixels (2569*1605-2560*1600 : calculated pixels - actual pixels). But I really don't think anyone is that anal about it.
    It could be that the actual pixels for the 10.1" screen is 2569x1605, but 2560x1600 is a more rounded number and they advertised that instead. Then we'd be getting an extra 27,245 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by ICydiaify View Post
    I can't wait until this phone comes out
    This screen is for the Galaxy Tablet, not the phone. Not sure I'd want a 10.1" phone, lol.
    Last edited by lightmaster; 05-13-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Yeah and produce billions so there's never a shortage again. Jesus. Why is it so hard for a billion dollar company to think hey let's make a million and then sell more later.
    Because they did that in the 80's with computers and ended up with too many. They weren't selling enough and by the time they were at a reasonable amount it was now outdated tech and it cost the company. It's also simple supply and demand, if you limit the supply it will increase demand. I understand not everyone who wants said product will be able to get one initially but those who weren't lucky enough to get it at release will still eventually do so. Also supply constraints in this case, being a product already having considerable demand, will positively effect the long term demand as well. Apple knows this and they know the above thinking, that is to say overproducing, is not smart business and have unfortunately had first hand experience with the fallout.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aznjonathan23 View Post
    First
    Fail!

Nice screen though, one more reason to hold off on the iPad 2.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Yeah and produce billions so there's never a shortage again. Jesus. Why is it so hard for a billion dollar company to think hey let's make a million and then sell more later.
    because odds are Apple will not include this type of display in iPad until next year for iPad3, that means wait 1 year. 1 year is a loooonnnnggg time in tech world, someone else would be able to product similar product at cheaper price *cough*china*cough* That would mean you are stuck with bunch of displays you can't get rid of. Unless Apple place an order for them right now, nobody is going to mass produce anything.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

twenty fourth

Thanks

That's beautiful.

I would love a retina display iPad

Thanks

"For those unfamiliar with the term "Retina" display, it is Apples term for a display that produces a pixel density so high the human retina can't discern between pixels from any viewing distance."

Sigh, no, this is wrong. The viewing distance plays a specific role in this, which is exactly why Mr. Jobs told you/us all that in regards to the iphone, that at the distance MOST people hold it, you can't distinguish between the pixels.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

With Apple suing Samsung right now over such petty issues, I hope Samsung tells Apple to take a hike if they come calling for the new screen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    Because they did that in the 80's with computers and ended up with too many. They weren't selling enough and by the time they were at a reasonable amount it was now outdated tech and it cost the company. It's also simple supply and demand, if you limit the supply it will increase demand. I understand not everyone who wants said product will be able to get one initially but those who weren't lucky enough to get it at release will still eventually do so. Also supply constraints in this case, being a product already having considerable demand, will positively effect the long term demand as well. Apple knows this and they know the above thinking, that is to say overproducing, is not smart business and have unfortunately had first hand experience with the fallout.
    this as well as the costs of holding inventory. it costs money to hold a million extra screens which is why a business will usually have an estimate of how many they will sell and produce/buy accordingly. it also makes their net income lower if they have a lot of ending inventory left over and thats something any company doesnt want

10. The Following User Says Thank You to silentassassin12 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (05-13-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    It could be that the actual pixels for the 10.1" screen is 2569x1605, but 2560x1600 is a more rounded number and they advertised that instead. Then we'd be getting an extra 27,245 pixels.

Actually, assuming the display is EXACTLY 300 DPI, the diagonal measurement is 10.06291 inches, which of course they just round to 10.1 inches.

So really you're getting jipped 0.037987 inches of diagonal screen.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Why does anyone even try to get a "first" any more? If you REALLY were serious about getting a first then you could just pick a section that has new articles put up more frequently than others and keep hitting refresh until you see a new article. It isn't hard nor does it garner you any kind of prestige.

That being said, I foresee Samsung and Apple doing business for a long time to come despite their quibbles. Samsung is just trying to get their piece of the pie, they aren't trying by any means to knock the iPad off it's top sales pedestal. I can't wait until this technology makes its way into the new Macbooks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool!

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

You're probably right. Besides 2560 by 1600 rolls of the tongue better than 2569 by 1605.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Approximately 6912x4320 screen for the 27" iMac.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

I just jizzed in my pants.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    I hope the next iPhone also has this.
    Actually, the iPhone 4 has a better display, instead of 300DPI, it has 326DPI.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone
    I hope the next iPhone also has this.
    Actually, the iPhone 4 has a better display, instead of 300DPI, it has 326DPI.
    Nice clever attempt at quoting "Everyone" when I think there was MAYBE 1 post saying "I hope the next iPhone also has this" when in fact it was something to the effect of I wish this was a phone(notice the lack of reference to ANY specific phone). Perhaps they wished they had an iPad-sized phone that could make calls and had a phone number that worked over 3G.

Also your claim of "better" is subject to all aspects of the display. What if this one uses less power and has a better contrast ratio than the Retina display? Is the Retina still "better"? What if this one is able to be manufactured thinner thus leaving more room for components or a bigger battery? Is the Retina still "better"?

I could go on but I think you get the point by now.

I think this is a step in the right direction for Samsung because it either will increase sales for them, guarantee longer-term business relations with Apple, or both. Maybe it will finally convince Apple to switch to Samsung as their primary IPS LCD manufacturer instead of LG too.
    Last edited by alexevo; 05-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad its Samsung, doubt Apple will use Samsung parts, maybe LG's.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Nice clever attempt at quoting "Everyone" when I think there was MAYBE 1 post saying "I hope the next iPhone also has this" when in fact it was something to the effect of I wish this was a phone(notice the lack of reference to ANY specific phone). Perhaps they wished they had an iPad-sized phone that could make calls and had a phone number that worked over 3G.

Also your claim of "better" is subject to all aspects of the display. What if this one uses less power and has a better contrast ratio than the Retina display? Is the Retina still "better"? What if this one is able to be manufactured thinner thus leaving more room for components or a bigger battery? Is the Retina still "better"?

I could go on but I think you get the point by now.
    The point of this was???

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    The point of this was???
    You need to quote my entire post if you're going to question what the point of it was. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Too bad its Samsung, doubt Apple will use Samsung parts, maybe LG's.
    As for Apple and Samsung. Doesn't Apple already use Samsung's nand flash memory? Also SOME iPhones/iPads use Samsung IPS LCDs but currently the majority of them use LG's displays so I figured Apple would be more inclined to adjust their ratio of LG vs. Samsung for parts more towards Samsung if they stepped up their display game to match LG.